INOVA X5

VT-Metal-VT

Newly Enlightened
It's a good light to go hiking?
can I use a 17670 or 18650 on it? the brightness is the same of 2 CR123A?

thx folks!

JKL

Enlightened
Last edited:

Mockingbird

Newly Enlightened
Good link Geologist. I have an ultraviolet X-5. 18650 will not fit in it.

17670 fires it up, but it's very dim.

GreySave

Enlightened
The X5 is all flood with throw to perhaps 50 feet, so you may want to carry a second light for longer throw for those noises in the night. I love the simplicity, durability, and long run times of this light. It is my summer daytime EDC and is often carried as a back up at night or during the darler winter months. As long as you are happy with the flood style beam I think you will be very pleased.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
GreySave said:
The X5 is all flood with throw to perhaps 50 feet, so you may want to carry a second light for longer throw for those noises in the night. I love the simplicity, durability, and long run times of this light. It is my summer daytime EDC and is often carried as a back up at night or during the darler winter months. As long as you are happy with the flood style beam I think you will be very pleased.
I agree. A very tough dependable light IMO.
Like he said, all flood and the batteries last a long time. I'd use 3 volt rechargeables or primary cells only and don't forget the X5 is one of the few
lights where the negative end goes in first. :)

SoundMix

Newly Enlightened
Is the 2007 version of the X5 the same as last years? I know the X1 has changed and is now brighter.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have not heard of the X5 changing, in fact I would hope it does not. There are plenty of other options for a super bright lights. The X5 excells at being a bright floody close range light with great runtime. I personally think it is the highest evolution of the cluster light and its intended purposes and I use it perhaps more than any other light I own around the house.

To answer the original question, I think it would be a great light for hiking and use around the camp, the long battery life would be a huge plus in these uses. I use mine around hunting camp almost constantly. But as noted if you want something for longer distance you will need something else.

luigi

Enlightened
I wouldn't recommend an X5 for hiking because as mentioned it has a very floody beam with reduced throw. I think about the X5 as a perfect indoors light or task light.
For hiking I'm very impressed with the Lumapower D-Mini with the 2 stage switch the throw of the light is insane and the 2 stage switch provides amazing runtime.
PEU is producing a 18650 body for the D-Mini and according to tests it can run for 3 hours and a half on a 18650.

Luigi