Ultrafire C5 Cree

alfred

Newly Enlightened
i saw it too today.. very interesting hope to see more info about it... can take 2aa for longer runtime using an extension tube base on the picture.. or a 123a for an EDC.. im tempted to order but the lack of info is what's keeping me from pressing the buy button.

LA OZ

Enlightened
Hehe, I like Kai's honest review.

"Excellent price for the performance. The light output is excellent and I expect the light will last about an hour or so. Try not to turn the head of this flashlight too tight when you turn on the flashlight, else you maybe unscrewing the flashlight head (the reflector will drop out) when you try to turn off the flashlight. Alternately, you may switch on and off the flashlight using its removeable tail cap, to avoid the reflector falling out issue. When using the extension tube (2xAA) with this flashlight, except 70% performance of the CR123A."

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish more flashlight designers looked into a removeable version of that style pocketclip(ie:fenix,lumapower,huntlight)

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
My impression is that Ultrafires usually do OK compared to Fenixes - except in the area of battery efficiency. With few exceptions (like the 2AA 602A), they usually run about as bright but only a half or so as long as the comparable Fenix light. They may have improved their circuitry since I had them, but I'd want to see a runtime curve on this for comparison to the P1xx before I bought in.

x2x3x2

Banned
I just did a review for the C5. U can access it from the main page of www.lightreviews.info

Hope it helps :)

Edit: Mixed up the runtime numbers for 16340 and CR123. Fixed.

Last edited:

LightScene

Enlightened
x2x3x2: Thanks for the nice review. I'm just about to order one. Do you think it has good heat dissipation?

shakeylegs

Enlightened
x2x3x2
Nice review of the C5 and thanks for the runtime chart. You mentioned the P1 clone (kai's Semilar) which has quickly become one of my favorite lights due to it's small size and bright floody beam. It does look similar to the C5 head but it will not fit the C5 body.
My C5 came with the front O ring half popped out of the lense. After several attempts at loosening, resetting and retightening the head, I was able to get the O ring to stay seated. Problem is that the easiest way to switch the light on and off is via turning the head, which can loosen the O ring again. This may have been fixed in version 2 which is now listed on Kai's site. Mine was still listed as V1 when I purchased so I don't know if I have V1 or V2.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
x2x2x3: another thanks for a nice review. The run times you provide are especially useful as that allows us to distinguish among the many Fenix clones and the actual Fenix performance levels.

Randy Shackleford

Enlightened

T4R06

Enlightened
LightScene said:
Direct drive makes me worry that it will be overdriven and won't last long, at least on 3.7v RCR123.

i bet this is hell crazy bright. one of the factor that's why i bought it because of direct drive :D

im gonna use AW's protected R123 high current on this one

LightScene

Enlightened
T4R06 said:
i bet this is hell crazy bright. one of the factor that's why i bought it because of direct drive :D

im gonna use AW's protected R123 high current on this one
I like your attitude! Go for it!

I went for the C5 because I want to use 2AA in it.

x2x3x2

Banned
LightScene,

Heat management works well. Heat flow pattery is similar to the Fenix P1. Running 3.7V 16340 cells the head gets warm within a few seconds.

Im not sure whats the difference between the V1/V2 besides the glued on led module to the head. The C5 which i got from DX had it glued, so it doesnt drop out either.

Last edited: