ARC AAA, how to easily and cheaply take pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those were pretty decent shots with a $99 web cam!
I found that most digicams with the exception of the Nikon 9xx series aren't really well suited for macro shots- With the 995, I can take a picture of my TFT laptop screen and see the individual RGB elements easily, even better than the unaided eye-

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Canon G2 has pretty good macro and focus capability - it has an option for fully manual focus, as well as being able to select which part of the picture the auto focus focusses on (to a limited extent)
But then, it also cost a lot more than $99...

Graham

yclo

Flashaholic*
Standard digital camera and holding an extra lens piece in front:
fd670d40.jpg

Bigger image here

YC

D

**DONOTDELETE**

yclo, wow. I can see the quality of the application of white paint in the etched grooves!
I notice that alot of the shots could benefit from a little more depth of field., some of them seem to have about a 32nd of inch of in-focus subject, even though they aren't as magnified as yclos, is there any way to close down the apertures on these digicams? 'course you'll need either longer exposure times and/or more light...any one have a sharp crimped roll
pic? and thanks!

Saaby

Flashaholic
The Toshiba has ajustable fStops and some other things I don't understand as well as being able to select where it "focusses"

Seeing those pics on my dads monitor (17" Viewsonic aperature grill) and now on mine (Dual scan LCD, not even TFT) makes me want a nicer monitor
smile.gif
it also makes me with I'd resized them before i posted
wink.gif

I have something else I am going to try, but it wouldn't be good for all pics, and somone with a nice SLR want to take some pics on film and scan them...?

grin.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
Ok here we go...this image provided by a cheap, very high resolution scanner. Unfortunatly it's one of those super thin scanners which use a "Contact Image Sensor" or in other words...if it's not in contact with the glass it's out of focus
smile.gif
Somone might try with a nicer (or larger anyway) scanner?

OH P.S. It was lots more fun to look at this image when it was a gazillion pixels and a 40 Mb file, you could almost see the rigdes of the skin that used to be on my fingers but is now stuck in the knurling...though I better resize it to post it though
grin.gif

Oops, wrong image
grin.gif
try again...

closearc.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Saaby, aside from sharpness, a lovely image! Maybe Gransee would like a blow-up of that for his new factory wall? (oh and maybe try a shot like that with it on?)

Saaby

Flashaholic
Well, do you have a scanner? You do it. Set your scanner to like 1200 DPI and downsize later. Peter...send me a blank 3 Gig hard drive and I'll send you a .tiff file large enough to cover the Chryeler building
grin.gif
(I'll find a better scanner to do it on)

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I don't have a scanner, or a printer..but i have a new power supply! right now I have dialed in the perfect voltage and amperage for my 3aa telephone battery pack, after giving it a good 12 volt 2 amp 5 second fry, which, I hear, should have melted any bad dendrites..before that I dialed in 15 volts and 300 ma to charge
12 aa nicads all at once, getting only barely perceptibly warmer, and ending up at high voltages ie. 1.44 volts each.. ... I am thrilled with this thing - $165 delivered, better than 2 Maha777 plusses!

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
YC, neat how you were able to link to the full size pictures from imagestation- how were you able to set that up? I just copied your link and it worked the same way- :)
Was this something you figured out? I didn't see any reference to it from the Imagestation site-

Saaby

Flashaholic
LOL I am going to have to find a way to make the knurling from the "biggie sized" photo into a "texture' for my background. Only problem is it looks a little like a pit of visous spikes
shocked.gif

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I just tried linking just with the .orig.jpg extension, though, imagestation didn't show the picture, because they don't allow external linking-
Your method using "mypictures/inbox/view.html?url=" seems to work fine though-

"looks a little like a pit of visous spikes"-
also reminds me of some kind of reptilian skin too.. my Arc's pretty well worn, with the snowy peaks on the knurling. Still 100%, functionally speaking though
smile.gif

Streak

Enlightened
I have been struggling to get decent focus on close up pictures, much the same problem as Peter and others have experienced. Even on macro mode, my expensive digital camera tends to focus more on the background than the subject leaving the subject blurred.
I then tried to use my $99 intel pocket web camera. Clever thing about this camera is that it has a manual focus ring.
I could have done a lot better with these pics. with lighthing and a tripod but wanted to see how quickly and easily I could take an publish these pics. The pics were taken at night using a small 12v halogen lamp as illumination (the camera has no flash).

Peter if you want some decent ones to illustrate the DIY crimp fix etc. then please let me know and I can put some more effort into it.

I also have never published pics to the web and this is my first attempt.
Pict0007.JPG
Pict0008.JPG
Pict0009.JPG
Pict0010.JPG

Saaby

Flashaholic
I wondered what you guys were smoking so I broke out my dads nice digital (Toshiba PDR-M5 3.2 Magapixel) and started snapping. With a little patience I was able to get these. The camera has a light that comes on red if something is out of focus and green if it's in focus, this may have helped a bit...but don't all nicer cameras have something like this? Anyway on to the pictures...they're kinda large though, I choose to leave them in .jpg format and didn't crop or resize them
shocked.gif

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

and now my personal fav...(Flash too bright I geuss)
e.jpg

I didn't notice this on the cameras LCD but noticed it once I got the images to the computer. Looks like the camera focused on my bandaid, not the battery contact
frown.gif

f.jpg

Streak

Enlightened
Hi Saaby.
Some nice pics. Now you see the problem with close focus!!
The web cam stays attached to the PC with the live image displayed on the screen. You focus using the focus ring while watching the screen for perfect focus, only then do you push the button.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Since it seems to be "Picture Night" here on CPF...

mac1.jpg

Standard digital camera with a lens held in front.
I think I had it on there backwards, as I see chromatic abberation.
blush.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.