What happened to possibly ruined Arc LE run?

Status
Not open for further replies.

haydoncandlepower

Newly Enlightened
Title pretty much says it all. Couldn't find anyone that commented on it except Gransee earlier saying they were seeing if they could salvage them.

haydoncandlepower

Newly Enlightened
Cool - I stopped reading that thread when it seemed like it was solely into marriage discussion.

Got my ship notification today for the LE. I'm happy!

haydoncandlepower

Newly Enlightened
One Stop Knife Shop.

They've been back ordered for some time. All of their shipment might be spoken for.

Hmm. Just checked, they're still advertising it on their web site so they might have 'em!

haydoncandlepower

Newly Enlightened
Got the Arc LE today. Looks very nice but you can tell it has a special "history" behind it. The reflector area does show that the drilling was a bit off. The reflector was scratched a bit. Probably happened in the refitting process.

Aside from those slight cosmetic defects the light is great. It is much brighter than my standard Arc AAA. I was wondering if I'd be able to tell a difference and was surprised at how big it really was.

Cutter

Enlightened
Yeah, let us know how old your standard Arc AAA is hadoncandlepower. I'd be interested to know why there is such a big difference. Maybe you got lucky with a freakishly bright version of the LE. If that's the case, I could put up with a few scratches.
smile.gif

haydoncandlepower

Newly Enlightened
I think my old Arc AAA is a bit under three months old. I'm pretty sure it's the version right before the roll crimp.

I stuck a new battery in the old Arc AAA to make sure it wasn't the battery. They were two different brands so just to be sure I think I'm going to take another battery from that pack and put it in the LE.

Chuen

Newly Enlightened
It seems there's big variation in brightness even among non-LE arc. I got a version 3.1 arc which is noticeably dimmer then the other version 3.0 arc I got. The brighter one measured 4.1ma with a solar cell while the other measured 3.3ma, both with fresh battery (actually I test with the same battery).

Darell

Flashaholic
No question that there are variations in brightness - the LE's as much as the standards. If your standard is only three months old, it should be damn-near as bright as your LE. The new LE's are squeezing a bit more brightness out of the SB1 bulbs though due to more efficient electronics, and of course, newer LEDs. Still, I didn't think it would be that dramatic.

haydoncandlepower

Newly Enlightened
Quite a different experience last night. At first I put a new battery in both the old AAA and the LE. Same results, the LE blew away the old light.

A bit later I noticed the old light was flickering which was annoying. Even later I turned them both on again and they looked about the same brightness except the LE had a greenish tint to it while the old AAA was nice and white.

I think my old AAA is kicking into moon mode or flickering or something. Whatever it is it's not right. No wonder there was such a big difference.
frown.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
Ah. Whip that foam retainer off the standard, and bang some notches into it. Sounds like you don't have a good ground on that one.

I think you've stumbled across what I found to be true as well: I actually like the beam tint of the SB2 better than the SB1. Everybody complains about the green tint in the LS, but they seem to want it in the LE. wacky.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Some notes on the roll crimp:

I've done mine like 50000000 times now. Be nice to the foam retainer and you can keep using it. Even if the adhesive doesn't stick, you can drop it in between the battery and head when you re-assemble and it contunies to function as it should. Put lots of notches into it, lots and lots and lots and you sould only have to do it once. Are you sure you are turning it on all the way? I rebuilt the solder on the positive contact area and now if I turn the head until it just bearly turns on, it flickers, but if I turn it just a little more (Like 1/16 a turn) it comes on and stays on.

Status
Not open for further replies.