New Pila 120 lumen LED emitter/modding Pila 3W module?

Foxel1

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

this is my first post in this Forum and i have quite a few questions as you can imagine :) I would like to get a Pila GL2 with LED emitter, and saw that they will soon be offering it with a 120 lumen CREE led, has anyone got more info on pricing or when this will be available?

Pila told me mid of April, but they did not really tell me any details about the emitter like if the regulation works also with a single 3.7V cell (which would be great).

I am really new to high power LEDs, and i have no clue how bright Luxeon 3 really is, i have never seen it in real, nor an LED flashlight with reflector at all, only one of those 21 led cheap things, of which i just modded one to hold an 18650 cell, works good. I saw on flashlightreviews.com that the 3W Pila emitter is brighter overall than those 21 led things, which is good, and of course has a lot more throw as you call it, which i like too. But can you somehow give me a hint on how bright it is, say compared to a rather cheap plastic halogen flashlight with 4 AA batterys that was up to date maybe 8 years ago?

Im really used to that led flashlights always have been less bright and of less practical use than normal bulb lights, and never seen an led flashlight that comes close to the light output of a normal halogen light. My first led flashlight had a single 5mm led, then i got an 8 led light which was pretty ok, but of course not really "bright". Now i got this 21 led light and it really is very bright and approaches the usefulness of a bulb light, so im wondering how those luxeons really perform.

As said, im waiting for the new 120 lumen Pila emitter to come out, until i buy the GL2, with that one, hopefully not too overpriced. But i also thought about buying the GL2 with current 3W LED, then buying a Cree or Luxeon K2 led on star-mount with around 100 lumen from ebay, and modding this into the 3W module...might this be possible? Has anyone ever opened the emitter and can tell what shape the LED (heatsink) inside has, and if something else can be fitted there, or if it can be opened at all?

Ok i think thats all for now, awaiting your responses :thanks:

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, All I know is the same Mid-April thing but I am planning on getting one and putting up a full review here. I don't know about pricing but I would expect at or near the current Luxeon module price. The Luxeon puts out a very Surefire P60 compatible beam with a truly pure white light. Blows away a cheap 4AA Halogen hands down. Beautiful beam. As far as running on 1 3.7v battery, I'd say count on it. Pila pushes a fully modular system that includes their own branded batteries (18650 Li-ion I believe)

Pila makes good products and I fully expect this to be another one. I'm surprised they aren't better liked around here. People don't seem to notice them much.

Foxel1

Newly Enlightened
Hey, i mailed Pila again for pricing and got a prompt response:

Prices for Pila GL2 Cavaliere with LED Emitter 120 lumens (Cree), ex Hong Kong
Model No Description Unit Price
GL2-LE02-TS02 Pila GL2 flashlight with tactical switch US$ 77.00

including:-
1 x GL2 body
1 x LED emitter, CREE, 120 lumens
1 x Tactical switch
2 x Lithium battery CR123A
1 x Holster
1 x Gift box

Damn, thats even cheaper than the old 3W GL2 from JSburlys!
Ill contact them again for shipping and order one, gotta be great
drool.gif

I also checked out the CREE website and i think that Pila uses the XR-E led, since its the only one with 120 lumens. I saw thread somewhere here about FLs with this chip, i guess you can add the new Pila emitter to that.
Datasheet of the XR-E:
http://www.cree.com/products/pdf/XLamp7090XR-E.pdf