What’s with that Maglite demon goat/ram icon anyway?

Cydonia

Enlightened
You know, the wicked looking horned ram or goat thing with demonic eyes that is featured on the flashlights and packaging…
I looked all over the company site but didn't find any explanation.
Is it supposed to denote maglites rugged surefooted "goat like" quality? Or…

Consider also that their Corporate Office is on… Hellman Avenue…

Corporate Office
MAG Instrument, Inc.
2001 South Hellman Avenue
P.O. Box 50600
Ontario, California 91761 U.S.A.

(reference: http://www.maglite.com/feedback.asp
This is also the address printed on the MagLED drop in module packaging etc.,)

18615Goat.jpg

Was the founder a Capricorn, using part of that signs characteristic symbol as an icon for his hardworking diligence that eventually paid off?
(I could not find his birthdate to confirm this theory, only the year, 1930)

Some basic background information of the Maglite and its founder here at wikipedia.
Another interesting article I found here written June 1991. A few general unrelated eye openers for me at least…

Any theories as to what the demon eyed ram represents or means?[font=&quot]
[/font]Feel free to add other links to articles and stories that may reveal more.
(Or a link to a story that explains everything! I'm sure it has been covered before... searches didn't turn up anything though)

redledz

Newly Enlightened
A rock! lol that's great. I too have looked at it and thought trojan bobcat??? then just moved on, but maybe cydonia is on to something! hehe

mdocod

Flashaholic
now that you mention it, it does have the look of some kinda bull head, evil eyes, and slicked back hair (like John Trevolta hair from pulp fiction)

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always figured it was a goat, never gave much though as to why they used that, though.

Cydonia

Enlightened
mdocod said:
now that you mention it, it does have the look of some kinda bull head, evil eyes, and slicked back hair (like John Trevolta hair from pulp fiction)

It's not slicked back hair. It's the side profile of horns.
I'm surprised no one has even noticed this symbol on their Maglites before...
It bugged the Hell (pun intended) out of me 8 years ago when I got my first Maglite...

AlexSchira

Enlightened
They used to say it was a panther, a cat that thrives in the dark. Now their site says it's a lion of all things.

Heck, I thought it was a goat until they said that.

Patriot

Flashaholic
redledz said:
A rock! lol that's great. I too have looked at it and thought trojan bobcat??? then just moved on, but maybe cydonia is on to something! hehe

:laughing: This is funny to me because I thought the exact same thing. It just never fully registered I guess.

I just looked at my oldest 3d mag and the symbol isn't there.

Good obervation Cydonia!

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
My old first gen. MiniMag doesn't have the symbol, either. I think it's a relatively recent addition. Probably some idea from the marketing department to establish a memorable logo. Maybe something like "Ram Tough".

Geoff

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting...

I just looked and my old Mags don't have the symbol...never noticed that before. I think they've used that symbol for quite a few years now...in fact, I thought it had always been there until a few minutes ago! :eek:

I bought a brand new 3C to hotwire a couple of months ago and the symbol is actually embossed on the rubber switch seal, so there must be plans to make it even more prominent on their products.

I've often wondered what it was actually supposed to be, probably a ram I would think...maybe it is a lion, or the Predator alien, or maybe even a Chupacabra? :eeksign:

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
The first time I saw it was on a halogen bike light I had a while back that was called a cat's eye. Ever since then I always thought it was a cat of some kind with interesting sideburns. :shrug:

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe it's inspired by the Italian horn, a good luck charm for protection from the evil eye.

CLHC

Flashaholic
I've seen said logo on some of the rubber boot switches of Mag Instruments' flashlights.

AlexSchira touched on it.

Mag Instrument Inc. Legal/Intellectual Property said:
Mag Instrument, Inc. also has registered trademark rights (and pending registrations) pertaining to its Pantherhead logo (U.S. Trademark Registration Nos. 1,928,819 and 1,987,841).
Hope I don't get into trouble for inserting this excerpt. . .:thinking:

Last edited:

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have checked my six Maglites: only the very old ones do not have the head, I would say it is there at least since ten years ago.

Can any serious Mag collector give us a tentative starting date :)