Hi! (introducing myself, long-ish)

ensile

Enlightened
Hi, i'm new, i've enjoyed the month of reading the various posts and had no idea people were so involved with lights. As a child I was facinated by mag-l1te, i loved the smooth quality machining, the simplistic desgn, my father was into lights, as a pipe welder he relied heavily on a decent torch so I was always introduced to new ones.

I'm now 25 years of age and I lost my mag-lite AAAx2 and AAx2 in the space of two years, the AAx2 was modded with the niteize led module, while this doesn't sound exiting, to me it was awesome to have a new battery life figure.

I have recently purchased a Fenix L2t and before this I knew nothing of lumens or output intensity, this little torch has literally opened my mind to a whole new world of nocturnal navigation and once again I am filled with the awe and curiosity of a 7 year old. In my city the torches like this are so expensive when I purchased mine on ebay (saving $20 horah!) I just assumed it was another overpriced surplus store elitish torch, keep in mind it was to replace a modded mag (lol), I was expecting perhaps brighter peformance than the mag, but was totally blown away.

After reading more about why it blew me away I found out that the l2t is about 55 lumens on a good day, then saw there were other units with 100+ lumens... this is not good news for my wallet. anyways I've said to much.
Thanks again, and I look forward to being part of the forum.

Groundhog66

Banned
Welcome, this is a great place to learn......or just hang out and browse. Don't be afraid to ask questions, the people here are a great help. And yes, my wallet has suffered substantially.

Tim

Patriot

Flashaholic
Welcome ensile nice to have another new member. Naw posted a great link for you too. You'll have plenty of fun there.

Catch ya later :)

zgurl

Newly Enlightened
Welcome ensile!

be careful flashaholism is a terrible :laughing:
You did not tell us what is your light use...

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome!

I love hearing about how people are blown away with their first experiences with better lights. It's something I can really relate to.

bullpup

Newly Enlightened
Welcome. Just wait. Soon you will be showing your friends this lights and they will want one! You can spread the cult.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bullpup, we have both become flashaholic with this message. :twothumbs

We have to congratulate ourselves :buddies:

Secur1

Enlightened
Ensile once you get the lumens bug there is no return nor any known cure besides going bigger and brighter !
My brightest light to date is my 24w HID Boxer which never fails to give me a smile every time i light it up and it can light up objects further than i can see with bare eyes, but i want MOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEE.
This forum is filled with great ppl which have managed to trancend a meere tool to a work of art, with my personal favourite being the Draco by modamag.

So welcome to CPF and kiss your wallet goodbye :)

Darien

Newly Enlightened
Ensile, Glad to see more new folks like myself. I've recently joined the forum and haven't had much to say but I will say this; when I came on and said hi to everyone a reply said hide your wallet from yourself and I laughed to myself. Since that day I've read more on this site than I can retain and spent a couple of hundred bucks on a new lite and stuff I hope I can do something with when it gets here. Didn't realize I really have a problem until a few days ago. Good luck with your problem.

Darien

williamv0123

Newly Enlightened
Welcome!
As a relative newbie myself, I have learned a TON here.
I used to think I just needed one flashlight. Boy was I wrong!:laughing:
Enjoy!

HGUE

Newly Enlightened
I'm also a new user (just registered, have been reading for a couple of months..) and feels much the same as ensile.

Used to be really into caving and underground explorations so a big interest for flashlights came naturally. Even as a kid I loved stuff that produced light, some of my favorite toys was a GID figure and a rc car with very effective headlights...

When the flashlight market became flooded with 5mm monsters (they're so ugly and useless) I really turned against any LED who wasn't a reserve on any of my headlamps. Not even the first "good" nichia/lumiled lights impressed me and I went on with incans. I got myself some LEDs I was happy with but with no real passion. Then recently someone gave me a link to lighthound, I just happened to order a bunch of various LED's, among them was the brand new L2D CE who really caught me off guard. What a chocking experience. Now I'm reading the LED subforum daily (the other forums as well, but LEDs fascinate me the most atm) and has developed a very bad habbit of checking DX/Kai for new items almost every morning.

I accidently got my father hooked on as well. Bought him a LED upgrade for his old 4 D mag and since then he just won't stop talk about how bright it is. Last week he phoned me and told me about some old flashlight he had found with a big, mean, reflector asking me for some LED to get in there. Now we're both waiting for my shipment of crees from DX... Stupid hobby ;)