Fenix P3D and P2D Lumens

Optik49

Enlightened
Hi All,

I was looking at the Fenix P3D and P2D. I have never seen a Fenix before and I wanted to know, is the Turbo Mode: 160 lumens and 130 accurate? I have a JetMKII and I love it! Very bright for 1AA. I find myself leaning toward a Fenix but I am still waiting for Nova Tec to show their new stuff. I look forward to the comments.

:popcorn:

MaxKnight

Newly Enlightened
Good question, especially since the advertised lumens and runtime for the L0D/L1D CEs didn't work out too well for most primaries I'd like to see the numbers for different battery types too.

jnj1033

Newly Enlightened
That looks like a L2D CE head on the P2D. That being the case, I would expect closer to 110-120 lumens; not a huge difference from the 135 they claim. No clue about the P3D. I've seen Fenix exaggerate by as much as 40% and as little as 13% depending on the light they're talking about. It looks like the main advantage of the P3D is runtime rather than much additional brightness.

By the way, if you haven't already discovered it, www.flashlightreviews.com is an excellent source of information. Doug is "semi-retired" and not reviewing many new lights these days, but there is some great info posted as recently as last month.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like for several other flashlight manufacturers, Fenix official lumen figures are the rated output of the LED itself as per the supplier's figures. The actual output of the flashlight is lower and depends from its total efficiency i.e. heat dissipation capability, shape size and texture of the reflector, etc.

I believe it is generally safe to consider the average output as some 80% of the given figures.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Optik49 said:
I wonder if companies are concerned about false advertising?
It is not really false advertising it is IMO something very similar to the way the US car manufacturers used in the past to measure and subsequently advertise the power of their engines, the SAE system, which had a bad reputation here in Europe. If I well remember the engine was tested without exhaust pipes and muffler, air filter, generator, etc. so that it gave out a much higher HP value. Apparently everybody was happy but I doubt very much that the public knew the difference.
Here it seems the same story, non CPFers go into a store, see a light in a nice box claiming 160 lumens and they are happy. What is really the truth?:)

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix's lumens figures are always higher than what is actually coming out the front. Take my L2D-CE for example: rated at 135 lumens and I measured ~110 lumens out the front. Although they are not dead-on accurate, their figures are pretty close :)

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I highly doubt that anyone at Fenix has worried about being sued over false Lumen claims.

And to be honest, I think that if you had two lights, one of which put out 115 Lumens and the other 130 Lumens but were otherwise identical, I doubt you could tell them apart unless they were being used at the same time.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
cratz2 said:
Yeah, I highly doubt that anyone at Fenix has worried about being sued over false Lumen claims.

And to be honest, I think that if you had two lights, one of which put out 115 Lumens and the other 130 Lumens but were otherwise identical, I doubt you could tell them apart unless they were being used at the same time.

Fenix getting sued under what laws? There's no such laws in China. You may copy, steal a project and have a costumer killed due to poisonous material or other potentially lethal hazard, there is no regulation against these...

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Outdoors Fanatic said:
Fenix getting sued under what laws? There's no such laws in China. You may copy, steal a project and have a costumer killed due to poisonous material or other potentially lethal hazard, there is no regulation against these...

EXACTLY my point!
icon14.gif

Vinnyp

Newly Enlightened
Outdoors Fanatic said:

It's far from a perfect country and it's human rights record is atrocious but

there are laws against all that in China with more stringent penalties than in the west. :ohgeez:

Unless this post was made in 1977 not 2007.

cslinger

Enlightened
By my highly calibrated Mark I eyeball I would say the P2D is outputing around 100ish lumens on turbo. It is about equivilent or maybe a tad bit brighter then say a Surefire L2 on High ceiling bounce. Low seems to be at about 7-10 lumens by my eye.

The fact is, however, this is one bright tiny little light for a very reasonably price.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Strauss said:
Fenix's lumens figures are always higher than what is actually coming out the front.

Not always

Fenix L0D CE - high - Energizer E2 lithium: 895 (est 63.93 lumens)
Fenix L0D CE - high - Duracell coppertop: 772 (est 55.14 lumens)
Fenix L0D CE - high - Sanyo HR-4U 900mAh Ni-MH: 754 (est 53.86 lumens)

Fenix L0D CE - medium (primary) - Energizer E2 lithium: 291 (est 20.79 lumens)
Fenix L0D CE - medium (primary) - Duracell coppertop: 268 (est 19.14 lumens)
Fenix L0D CE - medium (primary) - Sanyo HR-4U 900mAh Ni-MH: 262 (est 18.71 lumens)

Fenix L0D CE - low - Energizer E2 lithium: 127 (est 9.07 lumens)
Fenix L0D CE - low - Sanyo HR-4U 900mAh Ni-MH: 114 (est 8.14 lumens)
Fenix L0D CE - low - Duracell coppertop: 106 (est 7.57 lumens)

Fenix claimed "Five output types: 20 Lumens(3.5hrs) -> 7.5 Lumens(8.5hrs) -> 50 Lumens(1hrs) ->Strobe -> SOS"

grayelky

Newly Enlightened
By reading the specs, is the biggest difference between the P1D CE and the P2D CE the tail cap clicky? It seems to be the same head is the same, and the body is shorter w/ the clickie making it 10mm longer.

Does this seem accurate.