Osram 1000 Lumen LED

Led_Blind

Enlightened
Sounds interesting until you read the article :)

The other oddity i found with the article is this
" 60-watt light bulb emits 730 lm, while a 50-watt halogen lamp has an output of approximately 900 lm. To achieve the 1,000 lm output for the tiny Ostar Lighting LED, the experts at Siemens' Osram subsidiary employed a sophisticated system for high chip-packing density, whereby the researchers managed to integrate six high-performance LED lighting chips into the unit's small housing. Each chip has an area of only one square millimeter, which makes for very concentrated overall luminosity."

Right so the
60-watt light bulb emits 730 lm
50-watt halogen emits aprox 900 lm
And to achieve the 1,000 lm ..... wait, how many watts does it take?

Also, I cannot find any real data re these leds and the only stated spec is the lm\w at 350ma with no Vf info. Now assume they test the lm output at a die temp of 25degrees C (just like lumileds) what is the efficiency at 1000Lm

Lets make the same lumens using the new cree dice you would need about 6 dice (same as the ostar) all running at about 0.75A using about 2.7 – 3 watts of power.
So at 18watts, 6 Cree or Seul led's(p4's) will have the same output.

Now the P4's are rated at 90ish Lm at 350ma…. These 0stars are 75, that's about a 20% difference and if all thermal and electrical properties are the same this part should use between 20-25watts to make the 1K lumens. That works out at 40-50lm\w.

Someone more knowledgeable or with better internet search skills chime in and correct me :)

EDIT: its about 22watts by my numbers so thats 45lm\w

chris_m

Enlightened
IIRC it's 20W to give 1000lm. Hardly shabby, given the efficiency is pretty close to the latest Crees and SSCs (and therefore much better than a Lux V), but with a much brighter LED.

In any case, we've discussed this LED several times already - can't be bothered doing a search to find the previous threads, but they're on here.

partipilo

Newly Enlightened
I've read somewhere about somebody who got their mittens on one of these LEDs, and produced their own homebrew flashlight. They need lots of voltage, like 18v or so, and they suck down a bit of juice, and the beam is hard to focus due to the 6 discreet dies, but its a hell of a performer. I can't wait for some nice quality Fenix lights using this chip.