Arc AAA is waterproof

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took my Arc AAA Snorkeling today just to test it. It made it to 15 to 20 without any problems I also turned it on and off about ten times. When I got home a took it apart and all was dry. It was really interesting you can see inside the LED much better under water. Next week my wife and I are taking are PADI certification course, and will be going down to 45 feet I plan on taking the AAA with me to test it further.

Saaby

Flashaholic
grin.gif
Make sure your O-Ring is in good condition
shocked.gif

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've gone body surfing several times with the Arc, and it comes out dry as a bone.

I also noticed how you can see the LED underwater. I thought you could duplicate the effect by just filling the head with water, but it doesn't work.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Lux Luthor:
how you can see the LED underwater. I thought you could duplicate the effect by just filling the head with water, but it doesn't work.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Done that...makes the beam warble
grin.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hmmm, The refractive index of saltwater must be closer to the LED epoxy than the fresh water is. Add some NaCl to your water and try again.. Jr. Science project 1A ....he he.. Be sure to rinse well when test is over.

When you do your PADI dive, check the color of the LED under water. I noticed a strange pinkish red to my Inova on a dive at 25'.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am Diving in fresh water so it must be something different. But I will take a look at the color.

Darell

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Saaby:
grin.gif
Make sure your O-Ring is in good condition
shocked.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Actually - to make sure nothing gets hurt or stuck, I recommend removing the O-ring. It matters not if the thing is full of water. Works just as well, and you don't risk getting the thing stuck like Trevor just had happen.

Seriously, there is NOTHING to fear about getting the battery compartment wet. So, for all intents and purposes, there is no practical limit to the operational depth of the Arc AAA.

Empath

Flashaholic
Darrel, it does matter if the water is electrolyte rich, like salt water or in unfiltered natural waterways.
shocked.gif

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with Empath I don't think it would be good for the light or the battery. As far as it getting stuck I believe that is being caused by pressure. If there was any air in the battery tube when it was replaced then that air was more condensed than at surface level and when the light came to the surface the air would expand and lock it up.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Wait...isn't that what hapened to Trevor? Well kinda.

But still, there is no limitation to the operational depth of the Arc. Run it at 5' 10' 15' 30' 60' feet under, just might not work when you bring it back up
shocked.gif

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Saaby:
Wait...isn't that what hapened to Trevor? Well kinda.
shocked.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes Saaby, I was referring to Trevors unit.
wink.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
First off, I think Darryl was joking (at least partially). At least I hope so.
shocked.gif

I've seen salt water pit and rust a victorinox stainless steel knife within a week after exposure. I would not recommend opening any light under water, especially under salt water. And don't remove the o-ring either. In fact, lube it up with extra silicone grease.

Any exposed aluminum will be subject to corrosion if put in contact with salt water. Besides, as Trevor will probably find out when he opens the Arc (if he can), it's not the compartment you need to worry about, it's the threads themselves.

BTW, you'll drain the battery if you open the case in salt water - salt water conducts electricity very nicely. Ask any electric eel.
wink.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
Hey. First off, I NEVER joke.

Second... did you hear the one about the Rabbi, the Priest and the exploding Arc AAA? Me neither.

Anyway, back on subject - My comments are all directed to JT who is only diving in FRESH water. All of my water tests have been done in pool or tap water. And I repeat: There have been NO ill effects of filling the battery compartment with water and using the light. None. Zippo. And I've been fooling with watered Arcs for many months now, and still have all those lights. In fact, they're my daily use lights. These test were even done BEFORE the Chemkote was introduced on the inside, so these should fare even better now.

Please remember - I NEVER joke. It wouldn't be prudent.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Right....anyway I just had an idea
idea.gif
I live by the Salt Lake ya know, it's quite, well, salty...Arc endurence test!

Hey look at this one to complement
rolleyes.gif
frown.gif

Cutter

Enlightened
How come the ARC website says the AAA is waterproof down to 50 feet but I see in other places that it might be less.

The LED Museum site (which, by the way, is fantastic Craig) says that it should be waterproof to "at least" 3 feet. And, on this website:

http://www.equipped.com/led_lights1.htm#arc

it says: The light is claimed waterproof to three feet, which it was in our test.

I don't actually own one (yet) but was just curious. I know, I know.....I can already hear everyone saying it....get one....get one now.

Darell

Flashaholic
They USED to be guaranteed to three feet. The latest versions are guaranteed to 50 feet. Nothing really changed except for more tests that made Peter more comfortable with the guarantee. Fact of the matter is that they'll go much deeper than that.

Oh... Cutter? Don't get one. Get many.

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by darell:
Please remember - I NEVER joke. It wouldn't be prudent.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Can I quote you on that? Oh wait...I already did.
tongue.gif

I've taken a number of my Arc AAAs swimming, with no problems whatsoever - and this was with 3 children, who were throwing them around the pool, and generally knocking them around. Not a problem. I don't think I would purposely fill them with water though. Not much point.

Graham

Darell

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Graham:
I don't think I would purposely fill them with water though. Not much point.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Wait! Who made the rule that there had to be a point to anything we do here at flashlight HQ? Sheesh.
rolleyes.gif

But a point there is... How else could I proudly tell everybody that the "waterproof" depth of the Arc AAA is all but meaningless? Most people assume that once a flashlight leaks, that it's all over. Not so with these little buggers! Same technology that I use for footwear in the rain. I wear Tevas so that my shoes won't get wet. My feet perform perfectly in the rain, and they haven't leaked yet. Why cover them with something that'll just need to be dried later?

Cutter

Enlightened
Sounds like somebody needs to do an extreme depth test to an Arc AAA. And, since according to Darell we don't need a reason for it, who'll do the honors. Maybe Peter could hold a contest and give a free LE to the person who guesses closest to the correct depth at which it fails.
grin.gif
Would be interesting to know just how strong these little buggers are. BTW, what's the difference between the CPF Arc AAA's I've heard about and the regular AAA's?
confused.gif

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
A contest would be fun but hard to verify the winner to everyone's satisfaction. I do know that our contractor took 6 Arc-AAA standards to 340 feet a couple of months ago. This was done at our request. The units where turned off an on at depth and none leaked. Total time underwater including descent and ascent was 2 hours.

This is the same contractor that earlier had taken different Arc-AAA standards to 60 feet and took
pictures.

Extreme Outfitters, which supplies flashlights to certain government outfits says they took several Arc-AAAs to over 250 feet.

In addition, Willmore on this thread , says he took his Arc-AAA to 75 feet.

In none of these cases did the light leak so we really do not know what the depth limit is.

As Darell has said, the o-ring is only to keep the battery compartment dry. The head (with the LED and electronics) is sealed with a glass-like epoxy. The epoxy is fairly runny before it drys. Flashlights that we have disected have been found to be free from air bubbles. Essentially, you have a solid block of material.

To be conservative, we rate the light at 50ft. I may raise that rating in the future once we do more tests.

Peter Gransee

Status
Not open for further replies.