Magcharger alternative LED

tadbik

Enlightened
Is there a LED flashlight that can match the strength and throw of a standard Magcharger?

My old Magcharger is my last non LED flashlight and I'd be pleased to get rid of it!

tadbik said:
Is there a LED flashlight that can match the strength and throw of a standard Magcharger?

My old Magcharger is my last non LED flashlight and I'd be pleased to get rid of it!

Doubtful. For that, you'd have to go HID.

max52

Newly Enlightened
Check out Batteryjunction.com They have a new Terralux TLE-100x that includes the newest Cree advertised at 200 Lumens for the Magcharger. I have one on order.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

Thanks for the referral max52. The TLE-100X looks brighter than the standard MagCharger to my eyes but the throw is substantially less - it's much floodier.

tadbik - Either a 14W HID like the AE Powerlight or if you wait another few months we'll see more LED's in the 200+ lumen range - the throw might still be debatable as most LED lights are substantially smaller than the MagCharger and thus have smaller reflectors typically resulting in less throw. One thought is the LEDLogic Striker VG HC mods that we're offering - 175+ lumens and some pretty monstrous throw for an LED - I haven't tested one against the MagCharger yet though so couldn't say if it throws as well - I'll try to check soon. :)

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
This one should be able to give the MAgCharger some decent competition.
Cube 1C

I have something similar with 4 Cree XR-E`s and it gives my ROP some serious competition.

Benny

needforspeed

Newly Enlightened
Tadbik,

I carry two magchargers in my car at work. They both have the Aero NiMh sticks.

One has a WA 1160 bulb and rocks for brightness and throw but sometimes a bit too much for just a car stop.

The other has the newest Terralux MiniStar10 200 lumen Led.

It is plenty bright for most normal duties. Mine came with a frosted difuser on the optic which gave it a great beam but seemed to eat up output and throw. I now use it without the difuser and get good throw with 6* beam and excelent spill.

With the difuser off the beam gets a distinct donut and small donut hole. I deal with the beam because I want the brightness. The product is sound and gets awsome run time. The drawback is that the optic, although OPTX designed for the cree Xlamp 7090 is just plain blah. A better designed optic or reflector would make this a 10 in my book. Good product but could be better.

Can't wait for a 240+ output.

Bill
Massachusetts

MattK said:
Hi,

Thanks for the referral max52. The TLE-100X looks brighter than the standard MagCharger to my eyes but the throw is substantially less - it's much floodier.

tadbik - Either a 14W HID like the AE Powerlight or if you wait another few months we'll see more LED's in the 200+ lumen range - the throw might still be debatable as most LED lights are substantially smaller than the MagCharger and thus have smaller reflectors typically resulting in less throw. One thought is the LEDLogic Striker VG HC mods that we're offering - 175+ lumens and some pretty monstrous throw for an LED - I haven't tested one against the MagCharger yet though so couldn't say if it throws as well - I'll try to check soon. :)

The 200 lumen means very little in real life unless the source of emission is shrunk to a size comparable to an incandescent filament. A 4W CFL can do 250 lumen. They would both light up your desk very well, but won't get very far in collimated beam.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello tadbik:)

A multiple Led-setup like Benny suggested will beat a standard MC.
I had a MC and got a Custom-Trilux = I gave my MC away and no Incans more for me.
Member cmacclel builds also very nice thrower with more than 20000lux with a single Led or another one with an Aspherical Lens, far more throw than the MC.

Best regards

____
Tom

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Long John said:
Hello tadbik:)

A multiple Led-setup like Benny suggested will beat a standard MC.
I had a MC and got a Custom-Trilux = I gave my MC away and no Incans more for me.
Member cmacclel builds also very nice thrower with more than 20000lux with a single Led or another one with an Aspherical Lens, far more throw than the MC.

Best regards

____
Tom
That's BS. As Handlobraesing wisely pointed out, an LED-- multiple arrays or not-- wold never out throw a MagCharger, because of the lack of surface brightness. That is the main limiting factor of throw in LEDs, aside from poor color rendition and the inability to overcome ambient light.

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Then you should try a Tri-Cree or Tri lux setup sometime,

You may be surprised.

Not only does it give a far more useful beam,it gives pretty decent runtimes aswell compared to a magcharger.
Color rendition is another story...

But i find the warmer leds today to give good enough color rendition for my use.
Benny

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Outdoors Fanatic said:
That's BS. As Handlobraesing wisely pointed out, an LED-- multiple arrays or not-- wold never out throw a MagCharger, because of the lack of surface brightness. That is the main limiting factor of throw in LEDs, aside from poor color rendition and the inability to overcome ambient light.

Please, think what you want.
I had a MC side by side like I told above. If you are really interessted, take a search about, I had made comparison pictures of them.
And please, don't tell me something about color rendition.........
My Trilux has Luxeon UX1J-Premium-Ermitters (I don't know if you know what this means) with a very nice, warm yellow tint.
I'm be able to see details, more farther than 100m.

When you like incans and the T5 as a Led-light, ok no problem for me, but please don't suggest here, that Led-lights are not be able to throw or are not be able outthrowing a stock MC.
This is possible for sure.

____
Tom

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Outdoors Fanatic said:
That's BS.

At this moment I discovered how you started your post.
That's very very poor:thumbsdow...:thumbsdow...:thumbsdow

I hope a Mod.will see this.

It was not the first time.

____
Tom

Bikecop

Newly Enlightened
Check out Elektrolumens quadstar phazer once he posts his beamshots. He claims 600 lumens. It will be a more floody beam, but might work for you.

On the other hand, I have one of his P4 stunners, and it is much brighter than my magcharger. But, it also has a much larger head than a magcharger.

Have you considered making your own? I will be assembling a tri Seoul P4 in a 3C maglite, using a tri-heatsink from this thread:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=153522

You could buy the 3 P4 stars and heatsink from him. buy 3 20 mm reflectors or 3 optics from Photon fanatic, provide your own 3C mag/ 3C nimh rechargeables, arctic aluminum adhesive, solder and a soldering iron, and by using the excellent step by step instructions found on this site, you'll end up with about 360-450 lumens of light.

The original poster asked about matching strength(whatever he means) and throw of a Mag Charger with an LED flashlight. I do not know of any nor does Flashlightreviews.com

Maglite MagCharger throw = 173.21 index.

Even the furthest throwing LED flashlight known to FLR, the Wise LED seven K2 flashlight is rated at 120 index for throw. Despite having nearly three times the output, still have quite a way to go before matching a Mag charger.

The only things to exceed Magcharger in throw on the entire FLR database are the big bulky 6v spot light and HIDs.

Bikecop said:
Check out Elektrolumens quadstar phazer once he posts his beamshots. He claims 600 lumens. It will be a more floody beam, but might work for you.
The original poster specifically asked THROW. If he wanted a 600 lumen floodlight, nothing can beat a CFL.

Last edited:

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is true,

But as far as i know Flashlightreviews havent tested any of the recent custom Tri-Lux/Tri Cree XR-E/Tri Seoul P4 lights.
Nor have they tested Mac`s Single led Soul Mag and or The Aspherical Mag he has built.

All these lights are custom but shouldnt be ruled out as they are bleeding edge techonlogical advances available for purchase here at this forum.

Edit:
You cannot compare a Flood CFL to a Tri-Lux Lights which is much more than a flood light.
Maybe you havent followed the advancement in Reflecors and Optics lately...

Benny

Last edited:
For general purpose light, I think LEDs can replace incandescents, but each type of light source has its own character that makes them unique and useful in its own way.

I think the problem is trying to do anything and everything an incandescent can do with LEDs.

There are things LEDs can do that incandescents can't, such as operating at extremely low power with decent efficacy and there are things incandescents can do that LEDs can't, such as a very high power, point-source-like source.

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also true,

But a whole diffrent topic :)

To answer the posters question.

Yes you can buy a Led light which outpowers the MagCharger in both throw and output.

All pretty expensive solutions,but it can be done.

Arcmanias new torch also comes to mind.Using a 15W Ostar Led.

Benny

tadbik

Enlightened
Thanks, all for the input. I suppose I have to wait a little for a comparable LED at a reasonable price.

Still, I saw the Berlin wall fall, digital cameras kill off film and I'm sure that LED will kill the Incan!

Brozneo

Enlightened
tadbik said:
Thanks, all for the input. I suppose I have to wait a little for a comparable LED at a reasonable price.

Still, I saw the Berlin wall fall, digital cameras kill off film and I'm sure that LED will kill the Incan!

HAHAHA Im with you on that one! :lolsign: