Could I put 7 Seouls into a Peak McKinley?

Face

Enlightened
Hi,

As topic really. I have one of the original Peak McKinley stainless steel lights with 7 "snow" leds.

Now, would it be possible to put 7 P4's in it and have it work properly running either a RCR123 3.6v or primary lithium?

Or would it explode?

Thanks,

Face

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I would tend to think that they just wouldn't quite fit. I've never had a McKinley apart, but I'd imagine those 5mm LEDs are darn close to one another. Seoul/Cree/Lux type LEDs are a bit wider plus the leads stick out the sides rather than out the back.

Plus, if you were wanting to keep the stock board, it probably only sends 20mA if it's a standard power version or maybe 60mA at the most if it's Ultra High Power whereas the bigger LEDs are rated at 350mA and up. They will work with less, but will probably be radically more dim than you are probably expecting.

If one could machine a bezel for 3 SSC LEDs, you could probably get a 1000mA board in there which would get ~333mA to each LED and that would be around 300 Lumens or so... that'd be a pretty impressive 1x123 light, if only for 15 minutes or less.

Face

Enlightened
300 lumens!!!

How cool would that be?

Unfortunately, I have no machining, soldering or board-making skills whatsoever.

Still, nice thought tho, hey?

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah... I think you'd need an R123 to power it properly for more than 1 minute at a time.

But, as cheap as Peak sells their bodies (I don't mean that nearly as bad as it could be taken), one R123/CR123 body and one 18650 body would be a pretty sweet setup. I think I'd gladly settle for 1/3 the output and 4 or 5 times the runtime. 100 Lumens from 3 SSC LEDs in a floody beam pattern for $100... If the 18650 body was a $25 option, I'd already have one.