Surefire L4 batteries (what kind is best)

Madvillian

Newly Enlightened
Alright.. I have had my L4 for some time now, and it has treated me well so far. I have tried many different batteries in it looking for the optimal results without a high cost. The first batteries that I tried were the Obviously most expensive ones. The Energizer 123A (non rechargeable) Other than the fact that they don't last too long, and they are somewhat pricy due to the amount that you go thought I found these to be a last resort. I have tried a few of the rechargeable 123A's that are on the market. The first two brands that I tried worked, but gave me a much dimmer result, and a shorter run time. I have most recently Bought some Soshine's rated @ 3.6v 800mah. These have been the best by far until the circuiting burned up due to the excessive voltage. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?? What type of batteries do you use? Looking for something reliable that wont fry my circuitry. Thanks in advance!

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Madvillian said:
Alright.. I have had my L4 for some time now, and it has treated me well so far. I have tried many different batteries in it looking for the optimal results without a high cost. The first batteries that I tried were the Obviously most expensive ones. The Energizer 123A (non rechargeable) Other than the fact that they don't last too long, and they are somewhat pricy due to the amount that you go thought I found these to be a last resort. I have tried a few of the rechargeable 123A's that are on the market. The first two brands that I tried worked, but gave me a much dimmer result, and a shorter run time. I have most recently Bought some Soshine's rated @ 3.6v 800mah. These have been the best by far until the circuiting burned up due to the excessive voltage. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?? What type of batteries do you use? Looking for something reliable that wont fry my circuitry. Thanks in advance!
Do not use RCR123s on your L4. You need to get a AW 17670, a Wolf-Eyes 168b or a Pila 600S.

Read the li-ion battery guide on the incan section:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/161536

Avoid Ebay and other cheap Li-Ion batteries as if they were the plague.

Last edited:

Madvillian

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info! I have realized that the RCR123's are too much for the L4, I just wish that I had looked here first! Out of the recommendations that you have given what has proven to be the best? If any over the others.. What makes the 17670 the best? Will it be as bright as the regular 123a's? I noticed the milliamp is much higher, but the voltage will only be @ 3.7 instead of 6. Thanks again!

Penguin

Enlightened
Madvillian, does your L4 burn as brightly with primary (non-rechargeable) 123's after putting 2 3.7v R123's? If not, I believe the regulation circuit is fried and you'll have to get that checked out by SF... If you've already done that try using a 17670, I know the newer body tubes have a much tighter bore, so 17670's MIGHT fit, or might not. 17670's run at 3.7v but that's enough for the L4's circuit to run in full regulation, guilt free lumens are the way to go! :)

Patriot

Flashaholic
Yes, what Penguin said. If your regulation circuitry is good, and quality CR123s should function that light perfectly and with plenty of output. Surefire, Sanyo, Titainum, Energizer, Battery Station and a few others are all quality batteries.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
I swap the Pilas for AWs regularly. Love em. Got em in the G2 with Flavio's 3W dropin, too, and the E2e mod with Strion bulb, and in the Pelican, and ...
daloosh

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm considering getting either the 17670 or the 18650(with a body to suit) as I've been running my KL4 with a single R123 Aw and its has lowsy bright runtime around 20 minutes then at half speed around half an hour. SF123's are still the best though, I reckon.
Does the Pila 600S having overcharge/overdischarge circuitry like AW's? And comparing the three brands, AW, Pila and Wolf-eyes which are having the highest discharge rate?