Why continental U.S. only

gunga

Flashaholic
Why CONUS only?

Hey all,

I've been a member here for a few months, purchased several lights from stores and B/S/T.

I just had a question. How come so many people are selling CONUS only? I've received lights from private sellers from all over (Japan, states etc) and there has never been a problem.

All the lights from the states have cost less than $2 to ship (based on the postage price) so why exclude Canada?

Is it that much of an extra pain? Does it cost that much more? How much does it cost to send lights in CONUS?

I mean I just received 2 lights and the shipping label says $1.40 for intl mail. So, as a plea for Canadian Flashaholics, can you change CONUS to NA only?

:huh2:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Why CONUS only?

Non-business shippers must present their package in person at the post office and fill out customs forms. Wait in line and then deal with a grumpy agent. :whistle:

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast

for a knife, or lithium batteries...CONUS ONLY unless you want some customs agent to own it.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah, that one disadvantage being overseas. At least there's Unforgiven around that can do a service by reshipping items to overseas....

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast

i personally have never shipped overseas yet so im not sure what i need to do which is discouraging if i gotta deal with several forms & questions ....and even mailing domestic stuff they ask me questions where im standing there saying no,no,no,no nothing explosive etc. When in a post office theres a table with countless types of forms so if i pick out the wrong type of foreign shipping label and stand in a line for half hour and they say sorry wrong form this is global express only you need global 5day or priority foreign form or something then i gotta get a new form and wait my turn again another thing is if i mess up the address, im not sure if its a different format in other countries like say standard here is info on 3 lines

name
street address
city,state , zipcode

someone overseas may have unfamiliar format ,but i dont know like i said i have never shipped overseas yet,maybe all this foreshadowing trouble is in my head

Last edited:

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U

Shipping methods:
For most items like flashlights and stuff, the ONLY customs form needed is a CN-22 label (the green one). which takes less than 30 seconds to fill out. If you ship insured, more paperwork will be required. The most hassle free shippingmethods are GPM and airmail letterpost. GPM has very good value for money flat fee envelopes. While Airmail letterpost is great for cheap small items (1AAA lights can be shipped across the world for just $1.70). GPM to european destinations is usually quite fast (4-5 days) but isn't available to all destinations. Airmail letterpost is a bit slower, and usually takes 1-3 weeks.
If you need to ship insured, you're pretty much stuck with EMS, which is expensive, a pain to get the forms filled out and very likely to get autited by customs, so the receiver can expect a nice bill. So only ship insured if you really have to.

Then theres also services like fedex & UPS, well, if you want to get screwed over, use those... you will pay $80 shipping for an item that could have been shipped via USPS for $10 and the receiver is SURE to get charged with customs fees and ofcourse the expeditors customs brokerage fees...

Other advice:
Items like knives can be shipped without much trouble, as long as you obey the rules. The knife has to be legal to own. And a thing many people overlook is that you have to make sure the knife cannot cut through its packaging. A folding knife can easily be secured with a zip-tie, and a piece of ducttape works wonders to secure a fixed blade in its sheet.

I haven't had any problems with batteries so far. Maybe I've been lucky...

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast

I gotta say, it's very dissapointing when you see a bargain or something you really want...only to read on and find those dreaded words "CONUS only..."
frown.gif

As others have said those green CN-22 labels would take all of 30 seconds to fill out. So come on Americans...you built a super power within a few hundred years...mailing something to the UK or elsewhere can't be that daunting!

CFU

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ask nicely and pay a little more and I'm sure most sellers would consider it.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast

its funny when i first joined i kept seeing sellers saying conus i had no idea what that meant ,then i saw US sellers saying conus as some others dont have us listed in profile avatar... took me a while to think about Continental US

Last edited:

Danbo

Enlightened

If I'm selling something, I'll sell to anybody in the World. The buyer has to pay the additional shipping charges, however, as I will only ship via USPS Global Express. I found out the hard way once, that Global Express is the only one trackable.

Also, shipping outside the U.S. involves filling out customs declaration forms. If the buyer is using Paypal, then there are additional charges to the seller for the overseas transaction as well.

Scottiver

Enlightened

I don't know anything about shipping internationally, but I do know that if you ship with the USPS, it costs exactly the same to ship a package to Hawaii or Alaska as is does to ship anywhere else in the country. Designating CONUS excludes Alaska and Hawaii. They are still a part of the U.S. so postage rates are the same. Just thought I'd clarify that point.
As far as shipping outside the U.S., it's just more of a hassle. I recently bought a small digital postal scale for $25.00. I can now weight my package, figure out my postage myself and either just stick enought stamps on it, or print a prepaid shipping label right from the Paypal website and put it in my mailbox just like any outgoing mail and I never have to go to the post office at all. Going to the post office and standing in line is usually at least a forty minute round trip. If you were to offer the seller a little extra in$entive and explained exactly how to ship to your country it might make it easier to get someone to help you out.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast

I mailed a 1 pound global priority package for $12.75 this morning, required a trip to the post office including a gallon of gasoline at $2.55 and an extra half hour of my time, and several sheets of paper from my printer.

If I sent that same package to the US, it would have cost $4.05 to put it in my mailbox and one sheet of paper from my printer.

If I don't charge at least $10 premium on an international shipment, I'm losing money on shipping and a higher paypal fee.

I wouldn't consider sending out a package without delivery confirmation.

So don't be surprised if shipping international costs $15 more from a private US seller.

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast

On of the biggest problems is the dilema of what happens if a package gets lost or seized at the border. Shipping to Canada is only slightly more expensive than shipping in the US, but can take weeks or months to arrive. Once it leaves the US postal system packages are very hard if not impossible to track, so what is the moral obligation of the seller to make good on the package if it never gets there? I have never had anything get lost going to Canada, but I have had GPM envelopes take almost 2 weeks to arrive. That same envelope normally takes 3 days to get to the UK, and 4 or 5 to get to Singapore / Hong Kong. There is a big jeer thread right now for a dealer that shipped overseas and the package never arrived. Suffice to say that sometimes it can become a major hassle, where nobody is really wrong, but nobody is happy either.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't sell much here, yet I do frequently ship to Japan and have done shipments to Europe. The customs forms aren't that bad but it's certainly much easier for domestic packages. :)

I use a freight service for Japan but to send a low $$ item, is going to cost minimal $28 and my gas time to drop it is factored in. USPS, Global Express or Priority with full services (insured, trackable with signature) ~$30 and $20 respectively for starters.

Knives are different so I'm a bit concerned with them and want as minimal delays when sent. 2-3 days in customs is typical so most reach the owner in ~5-7 days. YMMV

HEY HEY ITS HENDO

Enlightened
.............. Come on Guys, why CONUS only?

............... in light of this thread, then its Kudos to 4 7`s for his FREE international shipping (lop se in gift box actual cost $1.70 postage to UK)
and to PhotonFanatic with his $2 international orders,Fivemega @$6 int. Alin10123@£1.25 extra for int. orders,etc. etc. just got an A4 size bubble envelope from millermods,@ $1.75 postage ....... all with a CN 22 green label,
...... of course, i am happy to accept reponsibility on this type of low cost shipping. so come on guys, ..give us a break... less of the CONUS !!! :)

savumaki

Enlightened

Yes it certainly is a PIA to send anything to Canada; long stands in line, multiple forms to fill out, trips to the PO, etc, etc, etc, etc------.

YET- I have received dozens of items from sellers (private or otherwise) that are willing to put out the little "extra" that makes the deal so pleasant.
Plus I don't mind waiting two weeks, thats normal. But postage, HOLY SH*T, you guys pay 1/2 to 1/4 of what we do to mail similar items; I know, I have experienced it several times.
Pkgs- we ALWAYS have to attend the PO, BUT it is a quick and pleasant process at my PO.

""RANT over""

What's all that mean--'it's no big deal to send items to Canada'
OK- so fire me.

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast

Scottiver said:
I don't know anything about shipping internationally, but I do know that if you ship with the USPS, it costs exactly the same to ship a package to Hawaii or Alaska as is does to ship anywhere else in the country. Designating CONUS excludes Alaska and Hawaii. They are still a part of the U.S. so postage rates are the same. Just thought I'd clarify that point.
As far as shipping outside the U.S., it's just more of a hassle. I recently bought a small digital postal scale for $25.00. I can now weight my package, figure out my postage myself and either just stick enought stamps on it, or print a prepaid shipping label right from the Paypal website and put it in my mailbox just like any outgoing mail and I never have to go to the post office at all. Going to the post office and standing in line is usually at least a forty minute round trip. If you were to offer the seller a little extra in$entive and explained exactly how to ship to your country it might make it easier to get someone to help you out.
Puerto Rico included....

Unforgiven

Flashlight Enthusiast

Scottiver said:

That actually depends on the weight, service used and the zone to which it is shipping. The rates within the U.S. do vary to some degree.

http://www.usps.com/rates/priority-mail-rates.htm

http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/ratesandfees.htm#wp3804548

Last edited: