Just got my P2D, very quick comments

who

Newly Enlightened
Just got my P2D, very quick comments before going to work
The good:
It is very small, barely longer than the head and tail put together, but we knew that from the specs. Works exactly as the L1D does. All modes with primaries, only turbo, strobe and SOS with rechargeable.
The not so good:
The tail cap is not the same as in the L1D/L2D. The thread is the same, but the outer body is bigger. For example: P2D tail on L1D is sloppy. L1D tail on P2D body will not cover the O-ring.
Dust in the reflector.Yellow and ringy beam. My L1D is much better.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get back here and finish your review!

Just kidding, thanks for these first thoughts. At the moment though, I'm perfectly happy with my P1D-CE...

...oh, and my ROP 6D, of course.

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have noticed with Fenix lights that the tints vary quite a bit from light to light. Kind of sucks...because I am left wondering if I am gonna get a "good one" or not when I order a new Fenix. They are hard to beat for the $$ though :)

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
Mine arrived this afternoon (thanks as usual to David at torchworld.com.au) and I have to say that I'm a lot more impressed with it than I was for the P1D-CE (which I'll refer to herein as the P1D to save typing).

My observations/opinions:

- It's FAR better constructed than the P1D. The threading is tight, reflector clean, LED centered. Basically back to the usual decent Fenix quality displayed with the LxD series.

- It looks nicer than the P1D :)

- Mine has a better beam with slightly less ringiness than the P1D

- Having the lower 9lm low makes it more useful indoors at night

- Personally, I prefer click switches for multimode lights (for single stage lights like the P1, or tiny lights like the L0D, the twisty is just fine), and for me the P2D feels far more natural and easier to use than the twistie P1D. I think the LxD interface is great and works just as well for the P2D.

- The click switch has a slightly different smooth rubber and feels slightly different to click (it doesn't give so much of a positive double click when pressing in to turn on). The rubber also bulges enough to prevent tail standing. Maybe this is just mine though. EDIT: I replaced the rubber with a spare from my L2D and the problem went away.

- Essentially exactly the same levels and brightness as the L2D-CE

- Cheaper!

All in all, the P2D has now relegated my P1D to cupboard/giveaway status. Since I wasn't too impressed with the P1D, this didn't take much :) YMMV, but I reckon had Fenix initially released the P2D instead of the rush job P1D it would have been far better received.

OK, off to play in my dark yard!

Last edited:

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
*gagetnerd*

I agree with you on the clickie vs. twistie. That was one of the things I didn't like about my P1D-CE, and probably why I sold it. The P2D looks like a better choice for us clickie fans :grin2:

sb0007

Newly Enlightened
wow! first is to enjoy the joy of seeing new interesting flashlight available. next is to savour the pleasure of ordering the light. follow by the pain and anxiety while waiting for the items to come. All these are soothen seeing that fellow forumers start receiving their lights. finally the ultimate pleasure (disappointment for some) when we received our own lights. I am still in the waiting and envying state. Hope they arrive soon. a great teaser thread...

cslinger

Enlightened
Got my two P2Ds yesterday. Very good quality, good beams, good tint, centered LEDs, great output and I already like the UI so I am very happy with the amount of light I got for the dollar here. As others have said it is an L2D-CE in a form factor that is smaller then the L1D-CE. Quality seems better then my L1D-CE or L2D-CE but I wasn't dissapointed with those.

The P2D will make a GREAT EDC light.

As a side note Fenix does indeed over-rate their lumens. By my eye I would say turbo is putting out around 100ish lumens. Still an insanely bright light for the size but remember you will be getting closer to 90-100 true lumens then 150 lumens.

Chris

cslinger

Enlightened
I wonder what's preventing Fenix from realeasing a damn tactical clicky for their new lights...

Profits.

Release a product make money.
Release an "upgraded product" that has been on the drawing board since the original product make money.

Repeat as necessary. Fenix's market is strictly consumer therefore they don't have design or deliver constraints. Surefire/Streamlight have lots of LEO/MIL contracts that dictate you will give us X, Y and Z by Y Date hence less of the trickle down approach.

Chris

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a stock light, but with a Kooter tube and SF Z57 or Leef P1D tube with McClickie, you get a small multilevel Cree with momentary. Which rocks.
Strauss said:
...The P2D looks like a better choice for us clickie fans
Now I hope Leef makes a tube for the P2D/P3D (for use with RCR123 or dare I hope 18650). I like the UI and levels of the P2D/L1D better than the P1D.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blindasabat said:
As a stock light, but with a Kooter tube and SF Z57 or Leef P1D tube with McClickie, you get a small multilevel Cree with momentary. Which rocks.

Now I hope Leef makes a tube for the P2D/P3D (for use with RCR123 or dare I hope 18650). I like the UI and levels of the P2D/L1D better than the P1D.
A Leef tube with a clickie is almost the same price of a whole Fenix P2D. There's no point in spendind that...

Patriot

Flashaholic
Blindasabat said:

I'd sure like the Leef P1D tube better if it had a small, well designed pocket clip. I find that even a single CR123 light is just a bit to big to drop into a front pocket. If it's clipped to the top of my pocket I can even carry an L2 there without any discomfort. I hope there is a pocket clip in the future for the P1D, P2D.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my P2D today, and I would agree with gadgetnerd's observations.

I'm a bit disappointed that the tailcap is not the same as the L2D. I was hoping to buy an L2D body in the future to use with the P2D head, but because of this design decision, I will have to buy an L2D body and tailcap. That will probably be price-prohibitive and will require me to just buy an entire L2D.

Otherwise, I love the light. It's a great size for carry, bright, and a very nice UI with great level options. The tint and beam are very nice. The LED is off-center a bit, but it doesn't seem to affect the beam profile.

Last edited:

gunga

Flashaholic
NutSAK, I inquired about the same thing. It works only 1 way. I have an L1D and can get the P2D body and tailcap for <$20 (later) from Fenix Shop.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work the other way around. So cheapest would be to sell your P2D, and get an L2D and a P2D tailcap/switch.

Of course shipping costs $...

vhyper007

Enlightened
evening, mate,

Would someone or many ones please explain to me what they consider the difference between the "TACTICAL" clicky and whatever clicky the other clicky is called. And also, to whom does this so called difference make a difference. I think it is a sales jingo to entice more sales to closet warriors. This pertains to Fenix and their new releases so I think it is relevant to the thread. I hope and sincerely do not mean to high jack anyone's thread.

Feedback, please.

Regards,
vhyper

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are threads dedicated to just the comparison between reverse and forward or "tactical" clickies. Myself, I don't need a "tactical" clicky for tactical use, but I greatly prefer a forward clicky for momentary operation. It is better for going through modes as it is more natural to press lightly for on then to press lightly while on to get off. Momentary is just so much nicer and intuitive to use.

vhyper007 said:
evening, mate,

Would someone or many ones please explain to me what they consider the difference between the "TACTICAL" clicky and whatever clicky the other clicky is called. And also, to whom does this so called difference make a difference. I think it is a sales jingo to entice more sales to closet warriors. This pertains to Fenix and their new releases so I think it is relevant to the thread. I hope and sincerely do not mean to high jack anyone's thread.

Feedback, please.

Regards,
vhyper

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the CPF reviews section -

Fenix P2Dce Comparison Review

with lots of side-by-side comparison beamshots.

"system" pic -
P2DceSys.jpg

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
Hey VT, your "system" pic is not strictly 100% correct.

The heads are common between the three lights, but the P2D tailcap won't fit the LxD properly and vice versa.

The beamshots are spot on though :)