Is Fenix LOD CE still the best AAA light?

Lumenation

Newly Enlightened
I have been holding off on buying the Fenix LOD CE for a long time. It seems like nothing better is going to come out anytime soon. Should I go ahead and buy the LOD CE?

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's ringy and only comes in black, but in my opinion it's the best out there commercially when it comes to features, output, quality, and value.

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
EngrPaul said:
It's ringy and only comes in black, but in my opinion it's the best out there commercially when it comes to features, output, quality, and value.

+1. Best value out there in the market at the moment, but not the ultimate possible light. A textured reflector and silver / nat HAIII would get it VERY close though. I am completely smitten with mine.

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'm a bit fond of Millermods 2-stage custom AAA lights. they're based on Arc AAA lights. they're simple, do not use PWM, have a HA3 finish and are slightly smaller (but more expensive) than the Fenix.

Calina

Enlightened
Have a look at the LiteFlux LF2.

It is more expensive than the Fenix but has more features and a lower low.
The user can program the levels they want to use and PWM is at a very high rate so there is no flicker. IIRC run time is also a little better.

The Huntlight FT04XJA3 SSC also seem like a nice candidate. Like the LF-2 and contrary to the Fenix, it has HAIII finish.

Last edited:

IndecisiveFlashaholic

Newly Enlightened
Maybe I'm blind, but I cannot find any information on the Lite Flux LF2. Can anyone point me in the right directing i.e. reviews/where to buy?

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Outdoors Fanatic said:
The Draco stomps all over it.

At roughly 3 times the price, I should hope that it would.

*edited to add* Nothing against the Draco at all. It looks like an awesome little light. I just personally don't want anything that expensive on my keyring right now. If that fits your budget, more power (Lumens?? :D) to you!

Last edited:

Lumenation

Newly Enlightened
I recently bought the Huntlight SSC AAA from Lighthound becuase of that great special they were having, I was not planning on getting the light, but decided to go ahead and through it in with all the other great stuff I bought. Honestly I was very dissapointed with the Huntlight SSC AAA. The light output was pitiful and the o-ring tore the second day I had it. Also the top part of the head came unscrewed a lot of the time I tried to turn it on. Plus half the time I turned it on, the light would flicker and go out. I may have gotten a bad light, but I doubt I order another Huntlight. I am sending it back, and wanted to know if I should get the Fenix LOD CE instead. I really want a AAA light. Although the Draco looks really nice, this light will be on my keychain and will not be used as much as other lights. So i am not looking for a GREAT light, just one thats bright and reliable. Of the past Fenix's I have had, I have never had any problems. I should have probablly bought the LOD CE a long time ago.

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
revolvergeek said:

It does stomp it....and at only HALF the size of the LOD-CE. I feel the chrome version is priced very well. Yes it is 3x the price of the Fenix, but it beats it in output, is half the size, and built much better. It is one of my top three favorite lights that I own....and that says a lot for the little Draco because I have quite a collection :)

If you are on a budget, buy the LOD-CE. If you are willing to spend the extra $$ for a better built, smaller, and brighter light; buy the Draco chrome.

Patriot

Flashaholic
revolvergeek said:

Exactly revolvergeek. Even at 3 times the price I'm not sure that's the best comparison verbiage. I don't think that if I was making my way through a dark house with a LOD-CE and another guy was doing the same thing with a Draco, that I'd be getting stomped all over with some kind of massive disadvantage...:laughing:

Lumenation, I've got 2 LOD-CEs and I've been so please with the performance and value that I couldn't be happier with them. I don't think that you could go wrong with this light. Good luck on you decision :)

MarkKLC

Newly Enlightened
Calina said:
The Huntlight FT04XJA3 SSC also seem like a nice candidate. Like the LF-2 and contrary to the Fenix, it has HAIII finish.

I believe the L0D-CE has an HAIII finish. Or is it so weak that you guys don't consider it HAIII?