I need help on my bad English

beer2beer

Newly Enlightened
Hi there,

Due to my bad English, I would like your help about what's the correct one:
i.e. from 24 TV show when Jack do a phone call to Bill:

The correct is "Bill, is Jack!" or "Bill, it's Jack!" ?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
As in Bill it is Jack, instead of Bill, it's Jack.

I wonder if it's (it is) easier to learn and understand English if you say the two words instead of the abbreviated form. I know for me when I'm sometimes not sure whether to use isn't or aren't, if I sound out the sentence using the non abbreviated words I can then more easily determine the correct abbreviated one.

HGUE

Newly Enlightened
Would be really confusing if someone called me saying "You, is me!", which is exactly what Jack would be doing if "Bill, is Jack!" was the right one.

As for bad english, we're at least 2 people feeling that way here.. :whistle:

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
While we're on the topic of Jack Bauer, and how he answers the phone, I'd like to point out that he ALWAYS identifies himself on his phone, when he's calling and answering, "This is Bauer!"

I'm so tired of people who don't know how to communicate on the telephone. People call ME and say MY name as a greeting and I say, "that's me, who are you?". Or people who call and just say, "HEY," and I'm supposed to know who they are. I started copying my dad by announcing myself when I pick up the phone, like Jack Bauer. It saves one step in the greeting part of the conversation. I just say my name; the caller doesn't have to wonder if it's the right number or who in the house is answering. Or if you use someone else's phone, and the person who answers thinks it is another callerID, you should really help them out and let them know who is calling, not make it a guessing game.

I was trying to think of other actors/characters who answer the phone like this, by announcing themselves. On StarTrek TNG, Patrick Stewart answers his communicator like that. Can anyone else list some actors/characters that do the same?

beer2beer

Newly Enlightened
I use to drink pilsener beers because they are common in Brazil. We have a brand that is exporting to USA and some other countries: Brahma. Try it and tell me what do you think.
Anyway, the best beer ever (imo) is Guinness. Unfortunately it's very hard to find in Brazil and too expensive for this poor beer drinker.

Cheers!

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
beer2beer said:
I use to drink pilsener beers because they are common in Brazil. We have a brand that is exporting to USA and some other countries: Brahma. Try it and tell me what do you think.
Anyway, the best beer ever (imo) is Guinness. Unfortunately it's very hard to find in Brazil and too expensive for this poor beer drinker.

Cheers!
sorry to here that Guinness is hard to find..here in the UK its on tap..24hours a day.
icon7.gif

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're idea of "good English" must be pretty darn advanced...:).

One thing which may help you with your English is that the screenplays for "24" and many other TV shows are available for free online (such as here) and will show in writing what the actors are saying. It may help answer more of your questions.

Native language speakers always speak very fast and with many contractions making it very hard for non-native speakers to understand them. Your English appears to be better than my "any other language".