Fluorescent lantern help

mcl3

Newly Enlightened
I've narrowed down my choice to two lanterns made by coleman. The retro lantern which has a 15 watt or the Northstar that has a 13 watt bulb. Will there be a noticeable difference between the two. Thanks

Last edited:

Blacklight

Enlightened
No, not really. have you seen this lantern? It's new this year and noticably brighter than both of the lights you listed. It should be in sporting good stores now, or can be bought online. I prefer the esthetic look to it better than those other two lights as well. It's about 440 lumens compared to 400 from the retro and 360ish from the Northstar.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=4345-703&categoryid=1045

The Coleman Guy

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
The retro has served our family camping needs very well. Also during power outages it is the first thing we go for. And don't forget it is rechargeable, 12V or 110V. That is a big plus.

Blacklight

Enlightened
Martini said:
How are the batteries arranged in that? I'm trying to figure out how you fit 8D in there (and also how to convert it to Li-ion).

They are in a cartridge that is four across, by two wide. the batteries are in series in a 12 volt system. li-on would not be a problem for the flourescent tubes, but possibly the LED Nightlight.