Poll: Arc LS2 or LS3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
By now most of you have read that Arc Flashlight only intends to produce the LS2 for a very limited time, therefore a creating possibility that not all of us will have a chance to obtain one that wishes to do so. You know the advantages and disadvantages to both. LS2, probably somewhat brighter then LS1 with nicer beam (corona wise) and I would assume close to LS1 run times. LS3 much brighter, much less runtime, possibility of thermal shutdown in operation. Peter has stated that for cost and efficiency purposes, he only wishes to produce one LS hence the short production time for the LS2 in the migration to the LS3.

So if only one LS in manufacture, which one would you rather have, an LS2 or LS3?

One vote for LS2.

Radiant

Newly Enlightened
I have a LS1 First and think it has a really nice beam size so the LS2 is not as appealing since it will be roughtly half as large but the LS3 would be nice if it can maintain it's brightness over the shorter runtime.

d'mo

Enlightened
I'm in for one of each too. Waterproofing for the LS2 makes it a winner. If the LS3 is anything like that green monster Craig is evaluating at the LED museum, it's going to replace all my incandescents. Hooray, no more bulbs to replace!

dark star

Enlightened
LS3 but only if it has a dimmer - I will want to use it for hiking and other outdoor use that will need a longer runtime ( without batteries going dead or a core meltdown ).

Forge

Newly Enlightened
For me, it's not a preference; I simply will not buy an LS3.

Arc is starting to get farther and farther away from what attacted me to LEDs to start with:
1) A bulb that never burns out and gives off great light.
2) Long run times.

#2 eliminates the LS3 and almost eliminates the LS2.

For me, the next logical step of Arc was CMG's Ultra-G flashlight. Just bought two of them. Same light as the Arc LE but instead of 5 hours of light, I now have 25 hours. That's an upgrade!

I really don't have any use for LED flashlights that only give 1 hour of light.

------------------------------------------------

If these Luxeon Stars consume soooo much energy that they can only be powered for one hour, I would back away from them until batteries catch up with the energy demand.

What product would I get really excited about from Arc? How about an Arc LE that:
- Takes a AA battery or two AAA batteries that are side-by-side.
- Dimmer mechanism on the tail.

Would everyone spring for one of them? I bet they would and they wouldn't cost > $100 to purchase (another downside of the whole LSx line).

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
LS3. Other manufacturers will start coming up with 1W-based luxeons anyway real soon (I hear there are > 1 million luxeons out there for use in nothing but flashlights!) and we will have our pick of the ordinary. The Arc LS was never ordinary in the least, but others are hot on its heels. Not difficult to imagine all those 3AA unregulated (but still stonking bright) flashlights flooding the market next year and no longer will we be amazed by a "mere" 15-30 lumens anymore from an LED.

I want the extraordinary today! The LS3 is a step into the future and will push the limits yet again. That said, I really wish Arc can still produce the LS2 alongside, or stick a dimmer on the LS3.

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dimmer? I'm sure Darell's about to pop up any moment now...
wink.gif

Atrick-Pay

Newly Enlightened
As the models are now, I vote for LS2
but I WILL NOT BUY ONE! I don't see it
as a big enough upgrade from my LS1,
to be worth the price.
frown.gif

The LS1 really is to bright for some of
the stuff I do (Even with "dead" batteries),
I carry a Scorpion with me and batteries
last me about half a year (bulb 2 years)
I don't want to even think about how many
YEARS, I would have to run my $30 Scorpion
with it's $8 bulbs, to make up for the $300
of the LS3. LEDS just aren't worth it at
this level of output. A well designed dimmer
would ofcouse change this but I don't think
I've ever seen a well designed dimmer
frown.gif

So anyway between those two,
mark another vote for the LS2.
frown.gif

arab

Enlightened
Whiltler said
wouldn't a dimmer make the LS less reliable, more parts=more to brake... ?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'm not an expert in this field, but I think the answer has to be - not necessarily. Take a look at a Lexus - lots of parts, very reliable. Compare it to whatever came last in the car reliability surveys - lots of parts, not very reliable

Saaby

Flashaholic
Then there's the Saab...the forgotten car, ok sorry--couldn't resist.

Flasher

Newly Enlightened
Give me the brightest mother F%#*@#*@*# light you can!
I guess that is a vote for the LS3

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would might buy both but I would hate to see the 1's go. They are different animals and there is room for both. Some of us are night hikers, cavers, and do other extended activities in low or no light. I think both should stay. The truth is I have more use for the 1's than the 5's but can use both.

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to go against the flow a bit and say the LS2.

From what we have been told, the LS2 is a more direct evolution of the LS1, therefore building on the testing and research which has gone into the LS1. So I would see this as a much more reliable, more market-ready product.

I see the LS3 as going pretty far back to where the Arc LS started in terms of development - new LED, and all the development problems that go with it, all over again. Not to say that lessons learned from the original LS can't be applied, but the 5W seems to be a very different beast to the 1W (low dome or high dome)
I for one would want to see a product which has matured, rather than switching focus to another just when the original one is getting good.

I think of the differences between the LS1/2 and the LS3 (or whatever 5w LS based light Arc produce) being the same as the differences between the Arc AAA and the original LS.
The Arc AAA still has a place in the market, and is a much more mature product. The Arc LS didn't replace it, and I don't think the LS3 should replace the LS2. To me, a 5W LS based Arc should be quite a different light to the current Arc LS, and complement it rather than replace it.

Graham

Saaby

Flashaholic
So how about this--somone design a driver board that will drive a 5W OR a 1W and then (Since they all use basically the same parts) it wouldn't be that hard to build both a LS2 and a LS3...correct? It'd be like building a car with only 3 options (Chrysler would LOVE that) put in a 1W High-dome, low dome, or 5W...

grin.gif

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saaby, I don't think its just a matter of the driver board - the 5W LS runs at a higher voltage and higher current than the 1W, and as a result needs more batteries and more heat dispersal.

I really think the 5W is just not suitable for a small unit like the current Arc LS - it would be much better in a larger 2 or 3 cell unit (I think 2C would be great)

Graham

Status
Not open for further replies.