Dorcy 4-AAA emitter ??

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I recently bought the Dorcy 4-AAA .05 watt light from Target. It is the Princeton Tec look-a-like and I actually very much like the light.

Looking at the emitter it does not look like the other .05 watts I have seen as it is not shaped like the 5mm LEDs at all. It actually looks like a very,very small version of a luxeon. The beam is nice and bright with a very cool blue tint and no artifacts. It is on a circular board and looks to be square shaped and very thin. I know it is not the new Rebel however from looking at photos of the new Rebel this little emitter looks alot like a smaller version of that.

If anyone else has one of these can you say who makes the emitter and what it is called? I like the very small size and would like to try and find some of these type emitters for smaller mods. My crappy camera will not take very good macro shots so I am afraid I will have to hope for someone else to help me on this without a photo.

DaveG

Enlightened
I have a 3- pack of these lights,from QVC at Christmas.Not bad lights,I think the Dorcy 4-aa Yellow light at Target is using the same one.

DaveG

Enlightened
Just a heads up ,I picked up a Dorcy 4-aa yellow light w 0.5 led,its set in a pr base. So it might give you some room to use it in other lights.

Robocop

I have searched here and on line for the Rigel photos and this new Dorcy 4-AAA emitter does not look anything at all like the Rigel photos I saw.

The entire assembly is very flat and mounted on a small circular board. The actual emitter section is square and flat and looks like a very small version of a 1 watt luxeon in design. It does not look anything like the cut down 5mm versions of the 0.5 watt emitters in other lights I have.....anyone else bought one of the newer styles yet who may be able to identify this emitter?

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
Robo...Rigel's ARE flat. If you have a Fenix E1 or a Pentagonlight MOLLE Light, they use Rigels as well...also, the Inova Bolt 2XAAA. I have all three of the lights mentioned, as well as the Dorcy 4XAAA and 4XAA. The Dorcy's are in fact using what appears to be a Nichia Rigel. Like you, I also like the Dorcy 4XAAA VERY much...esp. for the price of $9.99 plus tax! IMHO, a VERY nice "beater" light for the tool box. They should get some darn good run-time as well!

PJD

Robocop

Do the Rigel emitters look like the ones called Jupiter emitters? When I searched I found a site showing 3 emitters made by Rigel and they looked to all have a slight dome shape with the entire inside yellow looking. It reminded me of the emitter used in the Fenix E1 with the white enamel base.

The Dorcy I have does not look anything like the emitter in the Fenix E1 shown on 4Sevens Fenix page.....maybe this is a Rigel that is new or something however none the less it is very impressive for the tiny die size.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like the same emitter as in the Inova Bolt 2xAAA light and possibly will be what is used in the newest Inova X1 when it is released. It is VERY small. Looks like about 1/8 the size of a Lux III or 1/10 the size of a Cree/SSC.

I've had two of the 2xAAA Bolts for maybe about a week now and I've been using them quite a bit. I got the one that looked the brightest and the one that looked the greenest. The green one turned out to be quite white, but most of the others were violet-tinted. The Dorcy light is also quite white, but on the edge of blue. I like it overall, but I would prefer it without the clip and I'll probably hacksaw the clip off at some point just to keep it a bit more slim.

It does run pretty hot. I bought it, installed the batteries in the parking lot and turned the light on while I drove to Taco Bell last night. When I got there, I took it apart to see how hot the module was and it was very warm and it looks like the portion of the reflector nearest the emitter is slightly damaged from the heat. This was only about a 10 minute runtime.

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
Robo...Rigels and Jupiters are from the same manufacturer, but they're different animals. The Jupiter is domed, and the Rigel is flat...

PJD

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had to return mine. The tail switch broke after ten or twenty clicks. It's replacement is working just fine.

PS if you haven't figured it out the clip is detachable. So if it breaks it is not a big worry. Unless you like the tail clip. It seems kind of flimsy.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pellidon said:
PS if you haven't figured it out the clip is detachable. So if it breaks it is not a big worry. Unless you like the tail clip. It seems kind of flimsy.

Ahh... yep... just popped it off. It looked removable, but it didn't come off easily. With a bit more pressure, it came right off.

I haven't tried to see if the module will fit any of my Princeton Tec lights. I like the output and other than minor artifacts, I like the beam, but the switch seems like the weak point here.

I think this module in an Impact/Tec 40 4xAA body would be outstanding for a cheap light with relatively long runtime.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
cratz2 said:
Ahh... yep... just popped it off. It looked removable, but it didn't come off easily. With a bit more pressure, it came right off.

I haven't tried to see if the module will fit any of my Princeton Tec lights. I like the output and other than minor artifacts, I like the beam, but the switch seems like the weak point here.

I think this module in an Impact/Tec 40 4xAA body would be outstanding for a cheap light with relatively long runtime.

Been there, tried that. too tiny. The switch possibly the weak sister, there is no need to put this in a Tec 40. The PR based unit fits fine however. If a little weak in output. And does it get WARM? Yep.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a picture of a Rigel in a TerraLUX TLE-20 here.
http://www.pocketlights.com/terralux_microstar1.asp

Went up to my local Sears. They had 2 old 4AA 1LED floating lantern in stock, the one with the Nichia BS with a MJ modified frosted tip. They also had 2 newer ones with a regular LED and a focussing bubble in the lens. Not a 0.5W in sight.

Last edited:

Latest posts