Does SSC P4 cloudy gummy dome kill throw?

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I changed my Gladius Cree mod to a SSC P4 from DX, and although I love the beamshot more and output is slightly more, I hate the tint compared to the Cree.

The SSC produces a nicely transitioned hotspot/spill even in the original IMS27 fully reflective surface; is this because the gummy dome is transclucent and not fully clear like luxeon and Cree domes? I like it! :D But for extreme throw freaks, I'm not sure if the dome kills some of the throw.

When I was using the luxeon and Cree in the IMS27, the beam pattern was never as smooth but the hotspot seemed more pronounced. With the SSC, it almost looks like a textured reflector even though its not.

Haven't done any lux measurements yet but it won't be that accurate as the SSC is rated for higher output than current Cree P4s. I'm wondering for the same 'class' of Cree and SSC, whether the Cree will out throw it (with a proper reflector made for Cree's weird angle) cuz of the clearer dome.

Mark Richardson

Newly Enlightened
Hard one to quantify unless you had a varient of the Seoul without the transluscent silicon gel layer/dome combination. I would expect it to make some difference as you effectivly have a larger light source as it diffuses some of the light within the silicon gel layer. ther nearest I can get to quantifying it is in comapison to a Lux III using the Striker VG optic. With the LuxIII (which has a similar die size and dispersion pattern) the VG optic gives an estimated 64 lux/lumen. The same optic (when altered for focus) gives aprox 56 lux/lumen. I believe that the difference is due to the virtual larger light source. Note that using this combination, I am getting 10,350 lux at 1 meter!!! (U-bin Seoul driven at 905mA). As a bonus, the extra dispersion appears to give a brighter corona around the hotspot which is actually very useful. Overall, I think it makes for a slightly better light source. All I need to do now is see if/how it degrades over time due to ageing/heat/phosphor degradation etc.

Cheers, MJR