Anyone kill their L0D-CE with 10440's yet?

EsthetiX

Enlightened
I leave mine on high all the time and I've been doing this for at least 3 months (probably more) with no issues. I've run it on high till the battery completely drains severla times actually. All this BS about the l0d-ce not being capable of handling 10440's is BS!

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LOD-CE can handle a 10440. I think it was initially a member here that said when they left it on by mistake, the light head got very hot. But later on during actual use, he tried holding it in his hand with the light on high, it worked fine. In the end he said it was a matter of using the light on high instead of leaving it sitting there on high. His hand acted as a heat sink.

Face

Enlightened
No obvious problems with mine yet on a 10440, although I wouldn't completely drain 10440's, as they're unprotected cells, but that's just me.

Al_Havemann

Enlightened
No problems with mine either after maybe a dozen charges on 4 unprotected cells. It gets a little hot on high but that doesn't seem to bother it. Low/Medium are no problem.

I just wish there were cells with more capacity, I mostly use standard lithiums because of the run time on 10440's, and there's no grace period when they die either, you have to switch right now. Great little light.

Genesis 1:3

Newly Enlightened
How much more light does 10440 put out on L0DCE when compared with alkaline or NiMH battery?

TECENG

Newly Enlightened
I run mine with 10440's, no problems. I don't run it at extended times, but it is pretty darn impressive on high. Like most everyone with this light, I absolutely love it.

farscape105

Newly Enlightened
No problem with my LOD on 10440's. Why is it that it can handle the current, while light like C-LE has problems of board frying from 14500's? Is the Fenix board just more robust or using better heatsink?

Verve

Newly Enlightened
Since it's advised not to run the 10440's down all the way, can you easily tell when the battery is dimming when using or does it happen very quickly?

oregon

Enlightened
No problems with my LOD CE on 10440. I carry it in a sleeve in my Mission wallet, so it is usually with me, and use it often but not for long each use. Love it. Owning and carrying it are a source of comfort and pride. Thanks members!

oregon

thehappyman

Newly Enlightened
And I just bought an L0D CE along with 3 10440's and the Ultrafire charger. I am only going to use 10440's in this light..... and it will be on high most of the time...... I guess it's just the excessive heat we have to worry about....... If the light craps out I probably wont buy another because it's just not bright enough on a 1.5 volt cell for me.

It's about as bright as the P1D CE on medium, but the beam is wider. Yes, it would be nice to have a higher capacity rechargeable battery.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using it for about 4 charge cycles. The runtime actually surprises me for the output you get. I keep thinking I need to charge it up but short blasts is what I use it for most and seems to not really suck the battery down a whole lot.

Flashlike

Enlightened
I've heard that the 10440 cells are only available in "unprotected".
Does anyone know of a source for protected 10440's?

gunga

Flashaholic
Nope, the 10440 is too small for a protection cct. If we're lucky, maybe AW with come out with a LiFEPO4 10440. That too would be unprotected but safer.

Who knows...

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
No problems here yet either. My brother runs his on 10440's too. It's just amazing how much light comes out of this little thing. Talk about a wall of light! It lights up my whole back yard, left to right, like no other light I have.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's really good to hear that no one has yet experienced any problems running the L0Dce on 10440 3.7V Li-Ion Rechargeable.

However the XLamp XR-E LED pdf Data Sheet posted at Cree.com says the Max current for the Cree XR-E is supposed to be 1000mA -
CreeSpec070131.jpg

In Fenix L0D-CE Comparison Review I got measurements of -

Current draw -
10440 Open-Circuit voltage = 4.03V
Medium = 0.38A
Low = 0.17A
High = 1.11A

which means the current drawn on High exceed the maximum rating by about 11% (others have reported similar readings)

This does not necessarily mean the Cree LED in the L0Dce will blow up or suddenly burn up - as the numerous reports of no problems clearly shows.

BUT there is the probability that the LED's life may be shortened with frequent and continuous use of over max current - eg: 10440 on High.

Might want to read Cree's Lumen Maintenance statement
from their pdf Data Sheet -
CreeLumenMaintenance.jpg

Patriot

Flashaholic
Verve said:
Since it's advised not to run the 10440's down all the way, can you easily tell when the battery is dimming when using or does it happen very quickly?

Verve, both of mine seem to drop pretty dramatically when the battery is done. As soon as my dims substantially I pop in a new 10440 and charge the old one.

10440s are the only thing that I use in the LODCE and I've had zero problems. I've maybe gone through 25-35 full battery cycles with no problems.