U2 Battery

JJH

Newly Enlightened
Are all of the older U2 models with flat sides compatable with the 18650 battery? Also, were there any other issues with this model of U2?
Thanks in advance---
JJ

Gointothelight

Newly Enlightened
The older U2's you described could take an 18650 battery BUT on every single one from that generation I have ever seen the beam had a pretty noticable donut. The next generation shrunk the tube so the 18650 wouldn't fit but the beam got much better. Best solution - buy a new version U2 and get a Leef U2 body (which takes the 18650) from Lighthound. The U2 has incredible runtimes with the 18650 and I'm hoping an even better beam after I get it back from the Seoul Mod I'm having done.

cliff

Newly Enlightened
I have the "old" U2 and run 18650's in it. The first head I got burned out after about a month and was replaced by Surefire. The current head has worked great for a couple years. I'm on my third tailcap too - Surefire replaced it twice and the third one has been a charm.

Where does one get a Seoul mod done on a U2? I could see doing that at some point.

JJH

Newly Enlightened
I have also heard that there is a model U2 that has an inner sleeve that can be removed to accmodate the 18650. Does it have flat or smooth sides and a donut or no donut? Is there a way from the serial number or packaging to tell which model you are getting?

Thanks-

JJ

iapyx

Enlightened
JJH said:
I have also heard that there is a model U2 that has an inner sleeve that can be removed to accmodate the 18650. Does it have flat or smooth sides and a donut or no donut? Is there a way from the serial number or packaging to tell which model you are getting?

Thanks-

JJ

There is a link to a thead about this subject that I will add once I found it for you.

edited: found it. I had to look up one of my old posts. :)
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=156046
This thread will help you out, methinks.

iapyx

Last edited:

Gointothelight

Newly Enlightened
JJH said:

Thanks-

JJ
The U2 body went through at least 3 changes. The first could accomodate the 18650; the 2nd was the original body with a glued tube in it to prevent the 18650 from going in (but it could be removed with some effort); currently, the tube is engineered from the outset not to be able to take the 18650 (no tube necessary). I get the feeling that Surefire makes way too much money off the batteries it sells to make it easy for rechargeables to be used in its lights... just a theory.