Supreme Court Rules On Abortion Procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
I say a good step. Please feel free to remove if 'debate' gets too hot.
Wall Street Journal

WASHINGTON -- The U.S. Supreme Court Wednesday upheld a federal ban on late-term abortion procedures in a 5-4 opinion by swing vote Justice Anthony Kennedy.

The ruling split the high court along ideological lines and marks the first time since Roe v. Wade that it has supported abortions restrictions containing no women's health exemption. The opinion only allows the federal government to restrict certain late-term abortion procedures. It doesn't impact a woman's right to obtain an abortion in the U.S.

"We conclude the act should be sustained against the objections lodged by the broad, facial attack brought against it," Justice Kennedy wrote. "Respondents have not demonstrated that the act, as a facial matter, is void for vagueness, or that it imposes an undue burden on a woman's right to abortion based on its overbreadth or lack of a health exception."

Phredd

Enlightened
IMHO, independent of how you may feel about general abortion rights, this procedure was an absolute horror! I'm surprised this procedure was fought all the way to the supreme court.

Phredd

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Phredd said:
IMHO, independent of how you may feel about general abortion rights, this procedure was an absolute horror! I'm surprised this procedure was fought all the way to the supreme court.

Phredd

It was fought there because it is an *extremely* rare form of abortion and usually done because the fetus has little chance for life outside the womb.

Here in America, where the right to life ends at birth, *if* the child lives they will be faced with massive medical bills for what is usually a short brutal life.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isn't a shame how the people least intelligent about raising a child are also the least intelligent about birth control.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
EngrPaul said:
Isn't a shame how the people least intelligent about raising a child are also the least intelligent about birth control.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAMEN!

Nomad

Enlightened
For all the people who are saying that this is a good step, I think you have no idea what you're talking about. First of all, this procedure was used only about 2200 times in an entire year in a country of about 300 million people. It's a horrible thing and only done when the mother's health and life were at stake and the baby was not likely to live at all outside the womb. No ethical doctor ever suggested this except as a last resort. This particular procedure was used to save the mother's life generally and only because it was the least risky option. Please, try to read up on something before you go cheering about banning it. The next pregnant woman that dies because this option was made illegal I'm sure you'll cheer for too.

God I thought you people were smarter than this...

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nomad said:
For all the people who are saying that this is a good step, I think you have no idea what you're talking about. First of all, this procedure was used only about 2200 times in an entire year in a country of about 300 million people. It's a horrible thing and only done when the mother's health and life were at stake and the baby was not likely to live at all outside the womb. No ethical doctor ever suggested this except as a last resort. This particular procedure was used to save the mother's life generally and only because it was the least risky option. Please, try to read up on something before you go cheering about banning it. The next pregnant woman that dies because this option was made illegal I'm sure you'll cheer for too.

An emergency C-section can be done much faster then a partial birth abortion. This is because the baby/fetus actually has to be turned breach and then birthed up to the point of the head coming out so it's brains can be sucked out resulting in a partial birth abortion. If a mother's life is really in jeapordy a C-section is the most logical choice. C-sections do have a problem in terms of abortion. A C-section results in a birth.

It is really rather ironic, as long as the head is in the womb the baby is a fetus with no civil rights. However if the fetus is coming out head first, as soon as it's head is out it is a baby and has civil rights.

Take Care,
mtbkndad :wave:

tygger

Enlightened
Its so odd how selective morality plays such an important part in american politics. Not to sound flippant but, unless the state (i.e. taxpayer dollars) will wind up footing the bill, who cares what someone does with their body?

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
Nomad said:
...................... Please, try to read up on something before you go cheering about banning it. ...................

Please make sure you are reading something that isn't filled with rhetoric. Just because this is a seldom used procedure doesn't make it any less horrific. My understanding, I'll admit I don't know about every situation, is that this procedure rarely is 'medically necessary'. I just hope that this leads the way to stop abortion as a means of birth control. Desensitizing people to killing helpless life. (How's that for rhetoric :) )

WNG

Enlightened
I think it's time to remove this thread.
This debate and cheerfest for both sides of the issue is making you guys sound like asses.
Unless you're a woman, you can't comprehend the impact of abortion as it pertains to oneself to have such an absolute view on the matter. It is not so black and white.

If you do happen to have a womb, feel free to continue this in the underground.

SoundMix

Newly Enlightened
Nomad said:
No ethical doctor ever suggested this except as a last resort. This particular procedure was used to save the mother's life generally and only because it was the least risky option. Please, try to read up on something before you go cheering about banning it. The next pregnant woman that dies because this option was made illegal I'm sure you'll cheer for too.

Are you suggesting that all doctors are ethical? Or that all of these procedures are performed by doctors? Are there no shade-tree mechanics? There have been several well documented reports of this procedure being misused. What would you call that?

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
WNG said:
Unless you're a woman, you can't comprehend the impact of abortion as it pertains to oneself

I can understand that I'm here because my mother didn't kill me. :)

I agree to closing this thread.

bitslammer

Enlightened
Why it was ever started here up top in the first place is beyond me. I can't think of too may other topics that have the potential for inflammatory posts. true this is the "off topic" area but this was just begging for trouble.

We might was well start and incan vs. LED fight. ;)

Jorge Banner

Newly Enlightened
I'm beginning to see that every time somebody feels uncomfortable he starts yelling "close the thread!!!".

And the truth shall make you afraid.

Kristofg

Enlightened
bitslammer said:
Why it was ever started here up top in the first place is beyond me. I can't think of too may other topics that have the potential for inflammatory posts. true this is the "off topic" area but this was just begging for trouble.

We might was well start and incan vs. LED fight. ;)
+1

cmaylodm

Newly Enlightened
I always thought it was a bit ironic that Republicans support the death penalty but are against abortion, and Democrats are against the death penalty but are pro-choice.

bitslammer

Enlightened
Jorge Banner said:
I'm beginning to see that every time somebody feels uncomfortable he starts yelling "close the thread!!!".

And the truth shall make you afraid.

Not afraid at all. I just think that the spirit of the board (even the off topic area) was not mean to be a forum for highly charged political, religious, or social issues, unless they have some relation to flashlights of course. That's why the underground was created.

Jorge Banner

Newly Enlightened
bitslammer said:
Not afraid at all. I just think that the spirit of the board (even the off topic area) was not mean to be a forum for highly charged political, religious, or social issues, unless they have some relation to flashlights of course. That's why the underground was created.
Oh, yes. The Underground. But they require cookies and I don't accept them. Pity.

Status
Not open for further replies.