Serious help needed on G2 Conv.

hawkchucker

Newly Enlightened
Ok all you gurus. i have listened and learned a lot from you all. I have taken all the advice from my EDC (G2, Gerber Recon) and the newest member of the family my G3.

So I now want to convert my G2 to led with a drop in Module. However I have info overload and am more confused then ever.

This is what I want.
1/ it must be a Drop in module that does not need to be tweeked by a dremel to fit.
2/ must be able to be installed without doing anything to the light besides a pyrex lens.(i got one)
3/I will spend up to 40 bucks, for the mod, but I want serious output. I am currently running just the P.60
4/ No battery switch. I want to keep using the surefire batts.

So please help me out with this by showing exactly the lamp, and any info dumbed down so I can understand it. I swear most you guys must have degrees in engineering. I just dont have any clues to what is the best, and the most efficiant.

Thank you for all help in this. I really need the assistance!!!!

Daekar

Enlightened
This is what I would suggest:
http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=6283

It's a Cree drop-in module (no brainpower required, just swap out the other P60 lamp) for your G2. It will work fine with either the regular surefire lithium batteries you're using now, or if you want to get a rechargable battery (you'd need a 17670) it would work with that too. It's 130 lumens :naughty: and comes from Wolf Eyes, a company with a good reputation. It's offered as an option on their tactical lights, so it should be reliable. My brother is a Marine, and he's got a G2Z - if he ships out to Iraq, I'm going to make sure he doesn't leave without one of these modules. If you want to get one, order soon, because I would imagine they're going to sell out pretty quickly.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I second the Wolfeyes XR-E Cree D26 drop-in. I have one in my 6Z (same as G2Z but aluminum). The output is amazing with double the runtime. I have another on order for my G2. I may never use the P60 bulb again with all these new high output LED's on the market. I got mine at PTS also. I know it costs as much as the G2. The G2 is a great design and this bulb makes it a great combo.

Make sure you add the Surefire spring option to your order for it work in the G2Z.

http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=6283

Last edited:

hawkchucker

Newly Enlightened
Ok I am sold on the wolf eyes. Is heat a issue. By the way if your bro does fo to the big sand box drop me a PM I have some gear that he can use.

John
Semper Fi
2nd bat. 6th marine.

jbviau

Enlightened
How long should I expect the run time to be in a G2 with this Wolf Eyes drop-in? Let's assume I'll be using the standard CR123A batteries. Has anyone tested this? Thanks, --Josh

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe it runs for 2 hours at full brightness and then starts to drop off after that.

The original post states"
" Runtime (2xCR123 batteries): 130 minutes with regulated output, 5 hours with unregulated output".

Last edited:

jbviau

Enlightened
Great--thanks for the pointer. This thing sounds like a nice upgrade.