jetbeam cle vs. rexlight?

sphynx_000

Newly Enlightened
Now that the rexlights are starting to arrive (...still waiting on mine). I was wondering if someone could tell me how it compares to the jetbeam c-le.

specifically output (1.2volt only) and beam pattern/throw.

If the the jetbeam is comparable, I will be looking to make a trade.

deeplog

Newly Enlightened
I own these two flashlights. The Rexlight has in my opinion somewhat greater output with a primary 1,2 cell compared to the C-LE, which on the other hand has a more attractive design. The greatest advantage for the Rexlight is the ability to safely use a 14500 battery which increases the output significantly.

rex_cle.jpg

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't really been following the Rexlight... but with a 14500 in each, on max, is the Rexlight as bright as the C-LE? I'm assuming my C-LE is pushing 120 Lumens. It's brighter than my SSC modded HDS and it's brighter than my brightest regulated UW0K at 1000mA and I think both of those are close to 100 Lumens.

big beam

Enlightened
I have a C-LE and it is MUCH brighter on one of AW's 14500's.From what I've been reading about the REX it's not that much brighter on 14500's.(but I don't know because I don't have my REX yet). :popcorn:
DON

What I mean about the REX not being much brighter is it's not like a L1D-CE on 14500.(from what I've read).

Last edited:

HarveyRich

Enlightened
What I've read on these threads is that the Jetbeam C-LE can be fried on 14500s, so be very careful. I have one and agree with those who have said that with NiMH batteries on high it's output appears lower than the rated 80 lumens (nowhere near 120). It may seem that way in part because of the OP reflector. It's marginally brighter than my LOD-CE on high with NiMH battery. If I had to guess overall output, I'd put it at 60-65 lumens--at least in terms of throw. There's even a new thread reviewing the Rex 2.0 where the lux was measured on both NiMH and on Li-ion with a group of comparison lights:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=161789. There's also a review on LightReview.info: http://www.lightreviews.info/ where the Jetbeam is examined. The output from the Jetbeam on high (NiMH) was listed as 817 lux, whereas that from the Rexlight 2.0 on the other review was listed as 840 lux, thus making it virtually identical on NiMH (at 1 meter). However, the Rex is made to take a 14500, and output on li-ion at 1 m is listed as 1460 lux--quite a difference.

big beam

Enlightened
I just tested my C-LE with 14500.I use primary lithium in it because of its light weight and longer runtime.

DON

dts71

Newly Enlightened
3V Primary AA lithiums is a pretty good alternative (you get two by spliting a CR-V3 pack). It's rather expensive, but safer than 14500 and the output is still great.

Abumustafa

Enlightened
dts71 said:
3V Primary AA lithiums is a pretty good alternative (you get two by spliting a CR-V3 pack). It's rather expensive, but safer than 14500 and the output is still great.

Is the CR-V3 Lithium battary just 3v, if you was to split it half you will be left with 1.5v :grin2: correct me if am wrong pleaze!!!

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Abumustafa

Enlightened
Grubbster said:
They are 3V individually. They are parallel in the pack.

Then there is no use using the P1 Body in order to use the 3v 123As
and you can buy the CR-V3 Lithium from ebay for 2 packs from bout GBP 6 thats not bad if you get 4 3v AAs cant wait to get my C-LE :grin2:!!!

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

SoundMix

Newly Enlightened
I now have both the Rexlight and Jetbeam cle. I prefer the UI and size of the Rexlight. The Jetbeam as mentioned above, to my eyes also, is more attractive. Time will tell the tale of reliability. As for brightness and beam I like the Rexlight with a 14500. I never run and never will run a 14500 in the Jetbeam cle.

lowatts

Newly Enlightened
IIR someone in one of the CPF threads said some early CLEs were built with the Rexlight driver because they ran out of CLE drivers. These CLEs has the "hidden mode" just as the Rexlight (don't ask me what that is LOL) and can safely handly 14500 cells. The CLEs built to spec will eventually be fried if used with a 14500 cell.

LiteBrite

Newly Enlightened
It was for a different Jetbeam (MK?). The C-LEs with the hidden mode are also getting damaged with 14500s.

Grubbster

Enlightened
adnj,
Not sure about those, never seen them before. Lord knows what they have in them. I wouldn't feel comfortable taking those apart and using the components.

adnj

Enlightened
I'm expecting that their 3.7v for the pack. Might be a quick way to get some LiIon cells from the corner store.

OCEANBEAMER

Newly Enlightened
dts71 said:
I have a jetbeam c-le,I willnever runthis light with a 14500 until I mod it ,if you take a look under the emitter,all you find is goobs of thermal paste...you need to establish a metalic link to bleed heat to the body of the light..also if you fry the transistor in the boost circuit your light goes to fulltime direct drive....from that point on only a 14500 will work ,a regular AA will no longer light the cree led.

Last edited:

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stilll waiting on TL-Rex to show up (Too Late Rexlight) and my C-LE - well it's not as bright as my old Fenix L1P - 1watt Luxeon on AA - but then my C-LE seem to have a problem. I've only had 2 lights out of all the ones I own that had real problems and the other one was also a Jetbeam. Too bad as they boast nice features and have a nice finish and ergonomics. But no more Jetbeams for me.