* Arc-LS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the Arc-LS general discussion thread.

The Arc-LS is the largest flashlight produced by Arc Flashlight and is powered by the new Luxeon Star LED emitter from Lumileds.

LS-2AA.JPG

More info on the Arc-LS.

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Peter...

My white Arc LS`s continue to impress me every day, and an LS will forever be a part of my EDC.

I`m looking forward to getting my "wife`s order" so that I (...I mean "we") can see what the cyan LS is like!

Thanks!

PS: "She" has reservation/order number 920.

grin.gif

MarcV

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PhilAlex:

When's the ARC-LS gonna be available?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think he said March or April, but I forgot to note the year (or he didn't specify a year).
rolleyes.gif

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Marc Veeneman:

I think he said March or April, but I forgot to note the year (or he didn't specify a year).
rolleyes.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Noooo... don't say things like that!!
tongue.gif

I'll get my Arc LS soon...must think positive, must think positive, must think positive..
grin.gif
grin.gif

Graham

SFR

Newly Enlightened
Which is brighter: a Surefire E1 or an LS w/ the 123 battery compartment?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SFR:
Which is brighter: a Surefire E1 or an LS w/ the 123 battery compartment?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can check again but I believe the E1 by just a small margin. I compared them when I first got my Arc LS. The E1 has a brighter hotspot and the ability to "throw" more and it probably produces slightly more total light output. But the Arc's light is more dispersed although not nearly as much as a Nichia light, so much more pleasing to the eye then the E1 and I think a far more functional near/medium task light. The only thing I like better about the E1 is that it has a tail cap switch.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The pictures look about same as my comparisions. Mr. Bear, didn't you say the Surefire L1 was brighter then the Arc LS?

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
Geepondy

I elluded to manufactures specs that SF rates the E1 at 15 lumens. Further, as ARC has no published lumen output for the Luxeon Star, the only comparable Luxeion Star is the SureFire L1. Last Friday on a my "field trip' to SureFire, I compared the ARC to the L1, and the L1 meaasured appx 2200 lux, and the ARC 1700 lux at a distance of 1 foot from the sensor. SureFire has stated the output of the L1 as being 13 lumens*

I need to qualify thses numbers...
1) have gotten slightly higher readings with the ARC with brand new batteries
2) I do not know the nature of the L1 that PK showed me*

The thing about the digital lights from SF is that, for lack of a better word, they are "programable". In simple words, if SF wants to have a higher output, they just program the circuit for shorter run time. The converse is also true, lower output would result in a longer run time. Pk did tell me that they had LS than ran over 5 hours, but did not mention the lumen output. He also said they could achieve the 18 lumens output, but with signigficant thermal run away issues, and I am sure, a much reduced run time.

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SFR:
Which is brighter: a Surefire E1 or an LS w/ the 123 battery compartment?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you go strickly by the numbers, the E1 is 15 lumens. ARC doesn't publish the lumen output fot the LS, but I can tell you that is similar to the Surefire L1 (I compared the two last Friday). Surefire says the L1 has a 13 lumen output. But why talk numbers... here is side by side pics at a distance of 10 at different exposure levels

8952836-ea73-01110200-.jpg

Brock

Flashaholic
Wow, I know I got to see and test the prototype, but I have to say again that I am impressed with this light. I did some re-testing of unit #140 (ver .9) and got slightly higher output then the proto I had. The finish on the light itself is very nice, very much up to the "Surefire" quality of craftsmanship.

So Ted is your the #140 or the #146 I have? I am amazed on the difference between the 2 heads.

David which of these two is the more common one? The 140 has the more common Nichia color, sort of purplish, and the 146 has a very white color to it. The 146 is noticeably dimmer though.

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brock,

Please clarify #140 or #146... I am not sure what your are in reference to. I have two ARC-LS's ... SN#003 and SN#004... so I guess that means I have the old optics.

When Peter did the first few, the "new optics" were not yet available. If I am not mistaken, his next run will have the "new" optics, as does the SureFire L1/L2 and the KL1 and KL3 modules

Brock

Flashaholic
Woops. Ted I though one of these was yours for me to look at, I guess not.

The beams on both of these units are MUCH smoother then the prototype beams. I could definitely live with this light.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
140 and 146 are the ones I sent to you for testing. 146 is courtesty of Ted. Both are 0.9 units and have older optics. 140 is brighter but that is probally because the phosphor is thinner. It was returned by a CPF'er because the beam was, "too violet". It has been my EDC for a couple of weeks now and I sent it to you for comparison.

Ted returned 146 because it was bottoming out with the quest NiMh (included). I swapped out the battery compartment and you'll notice it works better now.

I would like to send you and the other testers 1.0 units probally in May or June for more tests.

So what do you think?

Looking to post an update on the current LS production this weekend.

Peter Gransee

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gransee:

Looking to post an update on the current LS production this weekend.

Peter Gransee
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ooh...good news I hope..
Not getting my Arc LS yet is costing me too much, I keep buying other stuff to compensate..
Then again, I probably would've bought the other stuff anyway
tongue.gif

Graham

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Graham:
Ooh...good news I hope..
Not getting my Arc LS yet is costing me too much, I keep buying other stuff to compensate..
Then again, I probably would've bought the other stuff anyway
tongue.gif

Graham
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I bought the Inova X5 as a holdover until my Arc LS arrived and the X5 is a fine light. Certainly one of my favorite Nichia LED lights. The Arc LS however is in another class. It competes with my incandescents for certain applications. I can understand what you mean about the costs though. My internal reasoning is that the Arc LS will be an LED light to last a lifetime (but aren't they all). In truth though, it will only be my number one LED light until a more powerful LED light arrives. At least owning high end LED lights is not yet as expensive as trying to keep your computer up to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.