TerraLUX MiniStar5 SSC P4 U BIN problems

Dorkwheeler

Newly Enlightened
I just got my terralux today from battery junction and it has problems. I put it in a 4 cell and it wouldnt turn on. Loosen it a little and it works but the threaded piece and the led are not secure to each other. Then the one time I turned it on I saw smoke. It still works but seems to have a loose connection. Anyone else run into this? I am also not impressed with the brightness when it does work.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine didn't work at all - not even a flicker. Screwed in smoothly and all was tight just DOA. I returned it for a replacement that works and is very bright w/great throw in my 4D.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Isn't the Terralux Ministar series only for 3V usage, won't 6V (4 1.5v cells) fry the electronics.

Send it back for a replacement, that should hopefully sole the problem.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I ordered two and they both arrived today. I put the first one in a 3D and thought it looked darn good. The ambient light in the house through the blinds was still pretty bright but I could tell I'd probably be happy when night time fell.

I put the 2nd on in a 4D and compared the two side by side....they looked to have identical ouput?? I then removed it and put in into a second 3D and the output didn't change. That was surprising to me. I though the SCC P4 on 6 volts would be noticable brighter. That's ok though. I prefer the size of the 3D and I was happy that I wasn't missing out by having it in a shorter light.

I just came in from outside and these thing throw like crazy. It's probably only sencond to a mag LED with custom optic. At first I was skeptical about the 120-140 lumens claims, but the center spot is so hot and the spill decent enough that I don't doubt the claims. I'm really enjoying these things so far.

All of my MagLEDs have UCL lenses and I can actually see the difference in superiority between the UCL and stock lenses when comparing side by side. I believe it's close to a 10% increase in light transmission according to a CPF member who metered the difference.

Sorry that you're having trouble with your new drop-ins but I know that Matt will make things right for you. I'd give terralux a second try. For the money, they're pretty hard to beat.

I think I'll post a review of them this weekend.

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought 10 of them, of which 2 were DOA (1 did nothing, 1 emitted smoke).
Both dead ones were promptly replaced by BatteryJunction.

The rest (and the replacements) work really well, and I will be ordering more.

Its the version for 3-6 C or D cells

If you want to use it in a 2-cell light, it works really well on 2 li ions.

In a 3D, you can effectively get 2 levels by switching batteries:
"low" with 3D's (about as bright as the Mag LED upgrade, but using half as much power) and
"high" with 4C's which will run the Terralux at full brightness.

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got mine yesterday, and it worked for about 10sec than crapped out :awman: I am waiting to hear back from batteryjunction, as I emailed their customer service yesterday about getting a replacement.