One light or two?

Priestly

Newly Enlightened
I have an LOD-CE, an L2T and a few Huntlights. What I want is a light for pure emergencies. One that will sit in the Bail Out Bag and not come out unless the ground moves, the river rises, the birds infect us or the Effluvians from Planet R attack.

Then the light will need to be able to excoriate a badger from across the street as well as burn on a low setting through a double reading of War and Peace.

Am I dreaming of two lights, an incan for throw and an LED for short/shorter range?

Excellent throw, long lasting lowlight, lithium-powered for unused longevity (no more than 2 cells). Suggestions?

Thanks!

Priestly

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire A2 is a good option. I think an HDS of some kind would fit the bill as well but these may be too pricey. Also, these lights should not go unused. These and other's like them are too nice to sit in a bail out bag (unless you have the money to own more than one of them) Maybe a Fenix P2/3D if you want 3v lithiums.
Another thing to consider is the saying "Two is one, one is none." I suggest having at least two lights for your bail out bag.

Last edited:

Jeff H

Newly Enlightened
If I had to grab what I could carry and bug out, the one light that I would grab would be my SF L1. It's the only SF I own but not my only CR123A light and not the only dual-level light. It's the most versatile light that I have. It's rugged, reliable, bright "enough" on high, low enough on low to conserve cells, prevent blinding me in the dark and to reduce the possibility of attracting "unwanted attention."

The single cell format means you can grub around and use any cell that still has some life in it without worrying about matching cells up. This ensures what supply I can manage to carry will last a while and, the fact that it has a very long run time on low will help strtetch that supply as well.

The switch does it all; it locks out altogether or can lock out just "high." It can be used as a momentary or twisted on for maintained in "low" or twisted a bit more for maintained "high." It's small enough to save space and travels light but large enough to be located and put into use even with thick, insulated gloves. The clip keeps it from rolling away and it has a lanyard hole - a lanyard hole big enough to take and expedient lanyard made from a boot lace or baling twine.

It's not my "coolest" light or my brightest and it won't light up a room like more floddy lights but it's hands-down the most practical single general purpose light I have ever seen.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I don't know what's in your budget, but the Surefire A2 is a very nice mix of throw and long runtime. In my opinion, it's probably too darn nice to just sit in a bail out bag because it makes for such a great EDC light. You may want to consider a 2D or 3D Mag with SCC P4 LED from Terralux. These have great runtime and throw but also wont break the bank, especially nice since it's just going to sit in a but out bag. A nice addition to this would be a UCL lens, available at Flashlight lens. You could put one of these together for under $70. I have four of them, two 2Ds and two 3Ds. They're actually very nice and very useful, even around the house. Here are a couple of links.

http://batteryjunction.com/tle-6k2.html
I believe the D2 versions will be available shortly.

http://www.flashlightlens.com/item--UCL%AE-Lens--UCL_Lens.html

Last edited:

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm with Jeff H. +1 on the L1. For runtime with 2 stage and decent high, rugged, splash/dunkable/waterproof + sf's carrier with some batteries.

rivethead147

Newly Enlightened
things to cnosider for the emergency bag: the point brought up of two lights is a good idea, look into form factor that can be easily replaced, you want to stick to AA batteries, if it's that much of a crisis, AA batteries are easier to scavange than CR123. LED bulbs are ideal in the sence of longivity. finally, in a crisis, you are likely to have a daily carry and a light in easy reach as well as other items aside from the bag that becomes a routine to take, sling bag over shoulder, carry the other light (if not already on you) that performs the other things that the light in the bag does not, and carry extra batteries

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Lumapower M1 Cree(review) has two modes and can run on lithium 18650 rechargeable battery or two CR123 battery. The D-Mini(review) is smaller but can use an RCR123 or a CR123 battery, can be had with a two stage tailcap. They both have amazing throw, but nowhere close to what a good incan can do. Both will probably have enough throw to identify a stranger across a good sized street.

A cheaper version of the M1 is the Ultrafire C2(review). Runs on the same batteries but only has one mode, a bit less throw, and probably not be as tough.

Of the Fenix L2D-CE(review), has a good turbo and a relatively low low and long runtimes on low ,30+ hours. runs on AA batteries. There is also a single CR123 version called the P2D-CE(review), or a brighter 2 CR123 version called the P3D-CE

Or wait for the New HDS, many modes and strobe and sos. Should be really tough(review of the older 60 lumen HDS, new one is supposed to be 120 lumen).

Welcome to CPF!

Last edited:

Priestly

Newly Enlightened
Sorry about getting back to this thread so late. I'm usually not rude...

Thanks for the opinions, everyone. I think I'm going to go with the "two is one" approach and stow a decent multi-mode light in the BoB along with a bigger thrower.

Patriot36 said:
You may want to consider a 2D or 3D Mag with SCC P4 LED from Terralux. These have great runtime and throw but also wont break the bank, especially nice since it's just going to sit in a but out bag.

This sounds like a great idea, Patriot36. It's about my speed for modding. I think I'm going to go with a 4C Mag but I haven't been able to find any real world shots of the output of one of these babies.

I saw one thread where someone said they lit up a cell tower some distance away...

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing you should have in mind if you're not going to use the light on a regular basis, is to use lithium batteries, either 123s or AAs (don't know if there are C and D lithiums?). They don't selfdischarge and have excellent shelf life, which is not the case with alkas or NiMH.

There's nothing more annoying than grabbing an "emergency light" when you need it, and the batteries are low or dead.

GeorgePaul

Enlightened
Lobo said:
There's nothing more annoying than grabbing an "emergency light" when you need it, and the batteries are low or dead.
Right. That's why it's a good idea to have a lot of extra batteries around and not just rely on the batteries that are in the emergency light.

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
If UK would update their 4AA eLED to cree, I think that would be about an ideal bugout bag light.

-relatively cheap
-multiple levels
-very waterproof and safe for many environments
-available in bright yellow
-adjustable flood/spot
-regulated
-AA means that batteries are easy to find and it can use lithium AAs that have a 15 year shelf life (longer than CR123A's 10 years)

L2DCE is possibly more versatile, but being a metal light, it won't be anywhere near as durable. It also costs a bit more.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
At least two lights. A couple of them may be really small like a Photo Freedom and a Pak-Lite. Hundreds and hundreds of hours of runtime without filling the rest of the sack with spare cells. Add a throw king of your choice and you're good to go.

sejvaar

Newly Enlightened
I love flashlights like everyone else....but for a bail out bag lights like hand crank LEDs or the "shake" tube LED lights are more logical than a battery eating torch. We are talking about survival and/or getting to the next source of help. Our view here is skewed because we LIKE the cool lights and think we need them...but really we don't.

If something massive happens that destroys society then batteries will run out or be a commodity people fight over...it is simply not possible to carry supplies for very long term survival...you have to carry useful tools to 'find' or 'make' supplies. Tools that require a perishable power source aren't suited for this. Sure you could get by with a 123 light for a "short term" event but you can get by with the hand crank light as well. The things in your bag should be as versatile as possible.

That being said people can carry whatever the hell they want....but it's like travelers over packing...they learn fast what they really need when lugging everything around.

Now waiting for someone to make a hand crank Seoul for the survival kit!

Last edited:

sparkysko

Enlightened
6D maglite man :), get the better replacement bulbs (I think they're xenon). I don't know of anything that has more mAh's without using some weird battery. They also sell an LED drop in at walmart that is ALOT dimmer, but has a ridiculous battery life on the 6D maglite. Or just buy a couple orders of the 10 pack LED keychain lights for reading.

sparkysko

Enlightened
Sub_Umbra said:
At least two lights. A couple of them may be really small like a Photo Freedom and a Pak-Lite. Hundreds and hundreds of hours of runtime without filling the rest of the sack with spare cells. Add a throw king of your choice and you're good to go.

+1 on the photon freedom. The dimming option is nice, although the keychain lights on dealextreme and kai exceed the brightness of the photon freedom. (photon is 18 or 20k mcd, dx has 22k and I think they just came out with a 24k mcd keychain light).

bridgman

Enlightened
For "bug-out" purposes I'm starting with :

- 4D MagLED plus a heap of D alkalines
- L1D-CE plus a heap of AA alkalines
- A2 plus a heap of CR123 primaries (yes L1 or L2 would be better)
- some rechargeables with 12v chargers (AccuPower AP2020 + UF 139)
- a small solar panel to recharge a 12V battery

All I'm missing is the 12V car/motorcycle battery, that's next on the list along with a bigger solar panel. Once I add a 12V battery I should be able to run pretty much forever by recharging cells plus I have a small stash of primary cells for when the STHF.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
sparkysko said:
+1 on the photon freedom. The dimming option is nice, although the keychain lights on dealextreme and kai exceed the brightness of the photon freedom. (photon is 18 or 20k mcd, dx has 22k and I think they just came out with a 24k mcd keychain light).
One of the reasons I like the PF is because they may be run so dimly. I always have a covert NV green PF on a short bead chain around my neck. It runs on (1) cr2032 (3V) instead of (2) cr2016 cells (6V) so it's only half a bright as stock on high. It also has a tiny O-ring glued into the covert nose to further reduce the size of the beam. I called off a runtime test with a cr2032 at 12 days out of boredom a while back.

If things get weird enough you may find yourself in a situation where you may wish you had a dimmer light for weeks on end -- been there, done that.

"Discretion is the better part of valor." Anonymous

Patriot

Flashaholic
Priestly said:
Sorry about getting back to this thread so late. I'm usually not rude...

Thanks for the opinions, everyone. I think I'm going to go with the "two is one" approach and stow a decent multi-mode light in the BoB along with a bigger thrower.

This sounds like a great idea, Patriot36. It's about my speed for modding. I think I'm going to go with a 4C Mag but I haven't been able to find any real world shots of the output of one of these babies.

I saw one thread where someone said they lit up a cell tower some distance away...

Oh..good! and if you're still thinking of going with the 4C, Battery Junction already sells what you need here: http://www.batteryjunction.com/tle-6k2.html

Beam shots can be found here starting at post #101. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/156477&page=4&pp=30

Since it's going to be an emergency light you may also and to consider the 2.84mm UCL lens from here: http://www.flashlightlens.com/item--UCL%AE-Lens--UCL_Lens.html This will make your bug out light a bit more bullet proof.

Priestly

Newly Enlightened
Patriot36 said:
Oh..good! and if you're still thinking of going with the 4C, Battery Junction already sells what you need here: http://www.batteryjunction.com/tle-6k2.html

Beam shots can be found here starting at post #101. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/156477&page=4&pp=30

Since it's going to be an emergency light you may also and to consider the 2.84mm UCL lens from here: http://www.flashlightlens.com/item--UCL%AE-Lens--UCL_Lens.html This will make your bug out light a bit more bullet proof.

I ordered the MiniStar last night and found myself looking at UCLs over at FlashlightLens.com as well. I guess I must be learning from you guys, huh? :)

Thanks a lot for the beam shot thread! That's just what I was looking for!

The comment on dim light was right on! I've been using "dead" cells for the last couple of nights in a MiniMag knockoff just as a "night trip" light. I was amazed at how little light it takes to chase the dark...