Crazy things you've done with your Arc, or other small light.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutter

Enlightened
Re: Crazy things you\'ve done with your Arc, or other small light.

Looks like the time is screwed up again on the server. yclo's entry above is time stamped earlier than Bart's directly above his.

Now....to keep on topic.

I guess the craziest thing I've ever done with an Arc AAA is not buy one yet. Whoa....calm down Saaby......Saaby......I know.....calm down....I'm gonna get one.....or more.
grin.gif

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

It's interesting concerning the timing of your post Saaby. Just 2-nights ago, I did something that made my ARC-AAA Turquoise my wife's favorite (and I mean favorite) light.

We had decided to go stay overnight at one of those up-scale rooms that are designed with romance in mind. You know, big bed, mirrors all over the place, etc. Well, this room happened to have a huge whirlpool hot-tub/jacuzy up on a platform that was accessible by steps surrounding the bed. It was sort of like a deck.

Well, to keep this story rated "G", I should just get to the point. Bottom line, I fired-up my Turquiose AAA and let it find it's way to the bottom of the tub. The way it made the water look, especially when the bubbles started, was awesome. My wife has already made plans to return to this place and the first item listed on the "to pack" list is my ARC-AAA.

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast

The craziest thing done with my Arc?

NOT send it in for replacement by Express Mail. But Arc made it up by sending FedEx Express. But now it's all alone in a facility out in Herndon, VA and I have to wait until Wednesday to get it!

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

Showed my daughter my AAA TQ one night...she took it and I haven't seen it since!

Oh, that's right, you said craziest thing, not dumbest thing!
grin.gif

SaintPaul

Newly Enlightened

My immediate thought after reading Saaby's original post is to complete the job and freeze an operating AAA in a solid piece of ice.

I'm not sure I will be the first to try this; maybe someone with a larger collection of AAA's will go first. I guess I would pre-chill the water and ARC before turning the ARC on and putting it in.

And presumably one of you can tell us about the (possible) consequences of freezing alkaline batteries? All I know is that the old MiniMaglite I put into our car last fall with alkalines still lights after many Minnesota freeze-thaw cycles. But it was a mild winter...

Darell

Flashaholic

Originally posted by SaintPaul:
freeze an operating AAA in a solid piece of ice.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If this isn't a call for Mr. Science, I don't know what is. I'm intrigued, and I'll see what I can do. If my wife catches me doing this, you may never hear from me again, however.

And my official entry for this thread, as usual, is:
Arc Torture

Saaby

Flashaholic

Hey Darell...et all, I think freezing an Arc could do serious damage, to the battery anyway, I'd do it with a lithium. Oh wait, lithium AAAs don't exist!

confused.gif

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, there was this one time at band camp....

Sorry, that just popped into my head. I've never even been to band camp.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Crazy things you\'ve done with your Arc, or other small light.

EDIT: I want to be fair, so if somone will move this I'll open it up to Photons and other small lights too--watch it though, I don't want this to end up in the Café.

I know there have been similar threads but what is the craziest thing you've ever done with your Arc?

It's about 2 AM here and I just went up to get some ice water before retiring to bed. I've always thought it looked nice to shine a torch or some light source through ice, so after I klunked my ice into the glass I dropped in my Arc...oooooh, ahhhhh, then I took it a step further and filled up the glass with water, voila! Perfectly nice purified bottled ice water contaminated with everything that's probably living in the knurling of my Arc--made a nice little lantern to get back to my room with though
grin.gif

Here's the web version of the pic...eMial me if you want the original (Much larger) jpeg--siutable for printing and framing or as a background anyway...

arcice2.gif

(Warning: This may result in a COOOOLLLLD Arc AAA)
smile.gif

Soooooo---"what would you do for an Arc AAA" er, I mean, what's the craziest thing you've ever done with your Arc?

Darell

Flashaholic

Originally posted by Saaby:
Well I was talking more about the battery blowing up.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Mr. Science says: Ain't gonna happen.

If I can't get Lithiums to perform any acrobatics in the bathtub, I'm sure not expecting this cryogenic experiement to be met with any pyrotechnics. Your picture reminds me that it should be performed at night though.

Saaby

Flashaholic

Well, about the pic, it was taken in a darkened, but not pitch black room. Long exposure. The room was actually much darker than it would appear in the pic but the long exposure+more than enough light from the Arc=a picture that looks like it was taken in a bright room--I am going to try again tomorrow at 2 AM
wink.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Saaby, I like your pictures and experiment. Given the chance I would rather repeat this_is_nascar's experiment.

Unforgiven

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by Silviron:
Well, there was this one time at band camp....
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">American What?
tongue.gif

Darell

Flashaholic

Man, the amazing things you learn on CPF.

I agree with you geepondy! I think I'll try nascar's experiment first. Make sure that works OK before moving on...

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well I dated a girl that thought the E2 I gave her looked better on her knick knack shelf then in actual use. That was OK with me. Anyhow I think I will try to freeze one of my unused Arc LE's in the name of science.

Darell

Flashaholic

Originally posted by Saaby:
Hey Darell...et all, I think freezing an Arc could do serious damage, to the battery anyway,
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I can't speak for anybody else, but Mr. Science has unlimited funds, and is therefore willing to sacrifice a 50c battery for the common good of flashaholics everywhere.

Saaby

Flashaholic

Well I was talking more about the battery blowing up and making your Arc impossible to open...

Anyway, dropping your Arc into ice water results in an effect that is not only breathtaking, but defies being photographed. I have several photos and will eMail the original (large) jpegs to anybody who eMails me and asks for them, here's the best pic, shrunk down to 1/4 of it's original size and converted from jpeg to gif:

arcice2.gif

Taken with a Toshiba PDR-M5 2.1 Megapixel camera set up on a tripod and done on a 2 second long exposure in a darkened room...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts