CMG Infinity Ultra / Gerber Infinity Ultra

Spin

Enlightened
Do both of these lights have the same output? Is the CMG Infinity Ultra still available?

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The CMG IU is not still available. The newer Gerber IU models have a Nichia CS LED in them, so they are a bit brighter. Runtimes seem to be roughly equal. The CMG is built stouter, but I prefer to use the Gerber over the CMG because it has tailstand capability, momentary-on capability and a better clip.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like CMGs better because the head twists for operation, instead of the tail. With a Gerber there's a chance of turning it on if it's on a lanyard and things like that. The CMG heads are pretty tight to turn, so I can't imagine them accidentally turning on.

Patriot

Flashaholic
The CMG works better for me also. When I hold it in my hand my thumb and forefinger are nearest the front of the light. Sinces it's so short it's just easiest for me to twist the head. Even though the Gerber is slightly brighter I don't use it nearly as often. I think it's sitting in a drawer somewhere.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
CMG Infinity Ultra was ergonomically perfect for me: minimalist head twisty and lugged tail. If Civictor V1 had a lugged tail and a long running mode, it would be even better (due to better internal twisty design). As it is, I'm happy enough with the Civctor (which - believe me - is what we were wishing for back in the days of the CMG) and Jetbeam CLE as modern replacements for my CMG Infinities.

Lmtfi

Newly Enlightened
I have a few of the Ultra-Gs and wouldn't mind modding a few. Anyone have any ideas for a killer white and possibly color LED mod for these?

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my Gerber IU. It's decently bright for dark indoors navigation, and it IS brighter than the CMG.