Want simple, small, bright 1 x AAA light

dbhn

Newly Enlightened
Is there anything out there yet?

I typically carry a small CR2 3-watt in my pocket when I want my smallest option. Looking to dump this and go to a AAA. My thinking is that the batteries are cheaper, output now could be comparable, and size smaller (lenght similar but width slimmer).

So, I am not able to find something I want....

The LOD-CE just has too many levels. I don't want something that starts on low. And the other Fenix AAAs just don't have the lumens I want.

My criteria would be:
-small 2.5" or so long.
-fairly bright (35-40 lumen+)
-Have only one level or at least start on high so I can ignore the yest.
-$50 or less

Any help would be appreciated. Anything coming out soon that may fit the bill? Anyone know the specs on the F-Mini (although Lumapower lights always seem to be a bit on the big side).

Thanks.
-Derek

Gointothelight

Newly Enlightened
Have you looked at the "Baltic" by Peak Led Solutions? It is a 1-level light and you can order it in 1 of 4 different output settings and get it with a Seoul or a Luxeon Led. You can also order it in 2 or 3 different finishes... the Pacific by Peak is also a AAA light. They're twisites, though, if that makes a difference.

dbhn

Newly Enlightened
Thanks I will take a look. I figure you have to comprimise a twistie for the small size. I've got the larger 123 clickies.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gointothelight said:
Have you looked at the "Baltic" by Peak Led Solutions? It is a 1-level light and you can order it in 1 of 4 different output settings and get it with a Seoul or a Luxeon Led. You can also order it in 2 or 3 different finishes... the Pacific by Peak is also a AAA light. They're twisites, though, if that makes a difference.

+1
I use a Baltic Stainless Steel (SP highest output) light with momentary switch and 2AAA body for my EDC penlight. It is so bright it became my EDC. Was thinking about stepping down the power output one step to UP to extend the runtime and cut heat production and it will be brighter with the SSC P4 LED. The light costs $50 for HA-III aluminum or brass although you have to add $10 for stainless steel.

What type of AAA cells are you planning on using? Lithium or NiMH rechargables work best although the UP version will work with an alkaline if need be.

itch808

Newly Enlightened
nanotech17 said:
i mod this - http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.891
with this LED - https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/150918
very bright with li-ion 10440 cell and not too bad with AAA Sanyo eneloop.
Build quality also good and a single mode light.

Same here, I love this light. It's always on my keychain, extremely portable and light output is good unmodded.

I intended to mod a Cree in mine but the Edison emitter looks like it would be even easier. Do you have any pics? Beam shots?

[email protected]

Newly Enlightened
:bumpit: Derek, have you looked at Huntlights AAA light? They have several versions, with HAIII Ano. and select bin LEDS. LIGHTHOUND has them.

Last edited:

dbhn

Newly Enlightened
Nano, do you have those in stock? Are you selling them? If so, how bright and how much?

Hamp, the Huntlights look like a nice option. Too bad they don't have them with SSC or Crees. Although they did put some SSC ones out. What is the main difference in the S and R bin Luxeon. Looks like same runtime and lumens.??

Anyone know where the SSC version can be bought? And/or a black option?

Thanks.

dbhn

Newly Enlightened
Nano, do you know were you can buy the Huntlight SSC?
Can't find it.

Marcus Aurelius

Newly Enlightened

flashburn72

Newly Enlightened
nobody said anything about the brinkmann 3w from target.comes in plastic and aluminum.uses 3 aaa in a carrier.deep reflector.my first luxeon edc.
and it's only 20 bucks..direct drive though. def a noobie light but great for your first bright throwy led.

cavanaug

Newly Enlightened
BentHeadTX said:
+1
I use a Baltic Stainless Steel (SP highest output) light with momentary switch and 2AAA body for my EDC penlight. It is so bright it became my EDC. Was thinking about stepping down the power output one step to UP to extend the runtime and cut heat production and it will be brighter with the SSC P4 LED. The light costs $50 for HA-III aluminum or brass although you have to add $10 for stainless steel.

What type of AAA cells are you planning on using? Lithium or NiMH rechargables work best although the UP version will work with an alkaline if need be.

How do you get a 2aaa body?? I couldnt find any information for that.

--
John Cavanaugh

HarveyRich

Enlightened
No one has mentioned it, but the LOD-CE doesn't start on low, but on medium, it's not a bad UI. The order is: medium-low-high-strobe-SOS. I never use the strobe or SOS. So, when you turn it on the light is on medium. Two twists get you to high. It seems to be able to take a li-ion 10440 too. It puts out more than 50 lumens (high on NiMH battery) on medium on 10440 and over 100 lumens on high.