What's the tint like on your Cree/Seoul emitters?

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bought some Crees and SSC P4s from Dealextreme in different orders... so far the Crees are very nice and white, definitely a W0 equivalent tint.

The SSCs are bright, but have a X1 tint (leaning towards green.. yucks) and although I use them because their focus angle is better and stuff, I'm not completely satisfied. (The site says W0 tint)

How's the tint on your SSCs from DX? Also X1ish?
And how's the tint like in general with the USVOI emitters from PhotonFanatic? I'm waiting for my mod from Milky using the latter; hopefully they aren't too 'colored'.

By the way, I remember someone had a link or chart of a very nice compilation of the different brand LEDs and their tint bin equivalents. Could someone kindly hook me up? Thanks! :)

edit : Found it. Thanks DiFiorentino for the great job!!
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/156772&highlight=tint+chart

Last edited:

Marcus Aurelius

Newly Enlightened
I have several SSC P4s from photon fanatic and all uniformly snow white. However, my L0D CE from Fennix Store is very green. Not so happy with that.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of the DX Crees have decent tints. Others are slightly bluish. IMHO the Seouls that DX sells are not very good -- way too bluish for my taste. My favorite LED that I've seen so far is the WH bin Cree, those are warmer, with a yellowish tint to them -- much nicer than any other LEDs I have by far.

I honestly don't mind green tints at all -- out in the field they actually render things like trees, plants, and such much more realistically than LEDs that appear "whiter" but with a bluish cast.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't bought any bare emitters, either Cree or Seoul flavored. But, I own three Cree lights now. My Fenix L2D is pretty white. My Luma M3 is fairly warm. Some might say it's green in comparison. My newly received Rexlight is rather cool, almost to the point of being blue.

I suspect there is just as much variation in tint with the Crees as there was with the Lux III.

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
all seoul/cree emiiters have fallen within bin specs when given in my experience(around 20 seoul/20 creee). only unbinned(well, bin unknown to me) emitters have had out of acceptable tint range.
have only used 1 of 2 seoul WO emitters from dealextreme right now, looks fine.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have three Cree lights which are two L1DCE and one C-LE. One of my L1DCE's is incredibly white, as is my C-LE. They are both very similar to my SXOH bin Lux 1, which is the whitest luxeon I have and is what I compare all other LED lights to when I check tint. They both actually appear whiter than my SXOH but I think that is only because they are quite a bit brighter.

My other L1DCE is on the green side however. Not a terrible puke green but still no where near as white as my other L1DCE or my C-LE. It does however have the same brightness as my other L1DCE so output is not a problem.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the feedback... seems like there's a lot of variation going on. I remember reading somewhere that the Crees have been generally better though...

W0 (so called "pure white") is really nice to look at and it works great in a lot of situations. I guess greenish bins might work slightly better in green environments.. but somehow they just look 'pukish' and under-driven indoors, even though the output is bright :D

I've never really been particular with tint, but somehow I just don't really like my SSCs... haha...

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Fenix P2D and Lumapower M1 both have very nice, neutral white tints.

I have some stars and bare emitters arriving from Photon Fanatic. Some are WO and some are VO. I'll report back on those. I would expect a slightly yellow/green tint from the VO.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no clue at all what bin my Fenixes have, they are a bit on the yellow/green side compared to the Luxeon Fenixes, which I now sense as being too blue. :rolleyes:

But I got some emitters from a GB, where I know the tint:
P3 with WH, P4 w. WC.
The P4 is by far the whitest one I have (but also inside the most powerful setup), the P3 is in a TriCree on my town bike, think these give an even whiter light (but less powerful, as driven less hard)

PS: anyone has a link to that post with the Cree bins melted together with the Luxeon ones + the colored background?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The tint on my EastwardYJ 18650 U2 Cree is a little purple (hardly noticeable) when on high and a warmer on low.

Last edited:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have three known USW0H SSC LEDs and all of them are absolutely white. One of them is probably the third whitest LED I've ever owned and the other two leave me completely satisfied. I have a V0-bin modded light that is decidedly green, esp on low but this is a resistored light, not PWM controlled. And I have two other Cree lights of unknown bin, the Jetbeam is what I would consider VERY white and the other is white, but slightly green.

One thing to keep in mind that with tints, what you are comparing it to has a pretty big effect on what it actually looks like. I have three lights that I consider basically perfectly white. Two of them have emitters that I evaluated for hours before deciding which to use. But both of those, if compared to a V0-binned LED look absolutely violet in comparison but they are not violet at all.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whiteness is pretty subjective for most of us - I reference my HDS B42GT (guaranteed tint). I bought 2 USVOH SSC and 2 USWOH SSC from Photon Fanatic. One USVOH matched the GT very closely, which I put into the B42GT. The other was a tad blue-greenish in comparison, which I think most folks will still think is a good white. The USWOHs matched each other and also a tad blue-greenish compared to my "reference GT." My GT looks pink compared to the other LEDs I have. As usual, you don't really notice unless doing a side by side comparison.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
my crees that i got have yellow rings around the hotspot... (white wall hunting)
do You use modded IMS-reflectors?
These rings (imho reflections from that metal ring holding the optics) are very "good" visible with them, or other not too good reflis.
With the cree optic or the sandwich shoppe's McR-XR reflectors (most expensive but best) these disappear instantly.
If possible mod Your focusing device, greatly improves the like for the light in question.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Emitters obtained from Photon Fanatic...

SW0 left, SV0 right in identical WF-602A1
IMG_1393.jpg

SW0 left, SV0 right in identical LILL.
IMG_1582.jpg

I've gotten some stars from DX and they were W0 color as advertized. I don't know about their emitters, because they sent me Crees by mistake and I just returned them for credit (no replacement).

farscape105

Newly Enlightened
I don't know about tint scale, etc. so here are my non technical description of my lights.

1. A photofanatic SSC which I find to be too purplish. Tried running in Elly (with 1.2 nimh) and flupic/QIII and purplish in both.

2. 2 C-le's, one too snow blue and other one more yellowish
3. My favorite is my P1d-CE which is more yellowish (little green maybe).

I guess I don't like the snow blue type tint, like little more yellow tint.