• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Announcing: The Aviatrix! Fantastic new modification for Surefire A2 Aviators!

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

Announcing... The Aviatrix!

What is the Aviatrix?
================
The Aviatrix is a drop-in modification for Surefire A2 Aviator flashlights. Currently, the Aviatrix is offered in two versions:

* Aviatrix LED - A bare-bones LED ring, available in several colors. Change the color of your A2 LEDs without buying a whole new flashlight!
* Aviatrix 2-Stage - A microprocessor driven LED ring with 2 levels of brightness, using tailcap pushbutton control.

More Aviatrix versions coming soon!

How does it work?
==============

The Aviatrix drop-in modification rings work by replacing the stock Surefire A2 LED-ring circuit board in the bezel of the flashlight. This circuit board is held in by 3 small phillips-head screws, making the changeout quick and simple. No soldering is required, and no knowlege of electronics, programming, or machining is needed.
* The Aviatrix LED simply replaces the existing Surefire A2 LED ring with a different colored ring, making more color options available to you without needing to buy a whole new flashlight. LED rings can be changed in less than 3 minutes, making selection of a new LED color quick and easy.
* The Aviatrix 2-Stage modification is a 2-stage (and optionally, a 2-color) modification that allows you to select a low-level single LED light source for reading, hallway navigation, emergency battery conservation, or other low-light tasks. It also allows you to switch in the other 2 LED's to enable the normal high brightness 3-LED mode of a stock A2 Aviator. The Aviatrix 2-Stage is controlled using the normal pushbutton tailcap of the flashlight, where quick (less than 1 second) presses switch modes, and normal (longer than 1 second) presses keep the flashlight operating normally in whatever mode was last selected. The 2-Stage modification uses non-volatile memory, and keeps track of the last mode the flashlight was in even if you remove the batteries.

What features does the Aviatrix offer?
=============================

The Aviatrix LED offers the buyer the option of changing the color of his/her Surefire A2 to different colors from what he/she originally purchased, INCLUDING colors that Surefire doesn't offer!
The Aviatrix 2-Stage offers these features:

* Low and High mode, selectable from tailcap pushbutton
* Two different colors (optional) for the two settings
* Emergency flashing strobe Special mode (doubles as a bicycle alert strobe)
* Marker Beacon Special mode
* SOS Morse-code signalling Special mode
* Full support for all available Li-Ion Rechargeable CR123-sized batteries!
* Longer battery life possible than a stock A2 Aviator LED ring

What LED colors does the Aviatrix offer?
==============================

Current high-brightness LEDs available are THC3, unless otherwise noted:

White
Red (630nm)
Blue (470nm)
Green (525nm)
Amber (590nm)
Ultraviolet (395nm) - Not THC3 (* READ NOTE BELOW)
Yellow/Green (575nm) - Not THC3
Deep Red (660nm) - Not THC3

Note that some colors of LEDs are higher or lower in brightness, Yellow-Green, Deep Red, and UV are notably dim BY DESIGN and should not be assumed to be as bright as a stock A2 Aviator in other colors.
The Aviatrix Two-Stage consists of two sets of LEDs - a single LED that is on all the time, and a pair of LEDs that is switched on/off by the tailcap button "mode" selection. You can choose to have these sets of LEDs the same color, or have the single "low-mode" always-on LED a different color from the other two. Keep in mind that when the Aviatrix is in "High" mode, all 3 LEDs are on - so you will get a "blending" of the two colors to some extent if you choose different colors.

* VERY IMPORTANT: Ultraviolet LEDs are NO JOKE, they are NOT a toy and should NOT be shone in your own or anyone else's eyes. I uncategorically and in the strongest way possible absolve myself from any legal liability for your use or misuse of the UV LEDs offered, and will NOT sell them without the purchaser stating VERY CLEARLY during sales communications/emails/letter/whatever that he/she understands and agrees to this.

Sounds great! How much will it cost?
============================

Aviatrix LED drop-in color replacement rings will be available for $37.00, SHIPPED via USPS, anywhere on the mainland U.S.
Aviatrix 2-Stage modification rings, with single or dual LED colors, will be available for $47.00, SHIPPED via USPS, anywhere on the mainland U.S.

I am accepting Paypal or USPS money order ONLY - no surcharge for Paypal bank account funding, 3% surcharge for Paypal credit card funding. NO CHECKS OR CASH, NO EXCEPTIONS.
I am not currently accepting international orders, although this WILL be available after the first production run is complete.
I am offering FREE modification service on your light (where I will do the modification for you on your Surefire A2), but YOU are responsible for shipping and/or insurance for both directions for your light if you choose this option.
I am shipping a FREE #0 philips screwdriver with each order, along with complete detailed instructions, so you will have all the tools necessary to do the modification yourself.

What is the current status and availability of the Aviatrix?
===========================================

Prototypes of the Aviatrix modifications have been built and tested for nearly 2 weeks under the harshest conditions I could devise. They have been frozen, dropped, heated to over 150 Deg., and the entire modified flashlight has been dunked under water for hours at a time. The Aviatrix 2-Stage software has been tested VERY thorougly, and appears to be 100% bug-free. At this point, the design is considered production-ready.
The first production run will be limited to 25 Aviatrix 2-Stage modification rings, and 8 Aviatrix LED replacement rings. There will be a 10-day pause in production following the first 25/8 production run, in order to obtain feedback from customers and prepare for large-scale production.
If you would like to be one of the first to purchase an Aviatrix modification (either type), please make a post on this thread indicating your intention to be one of the first buyers, then email me for further instructions at:

bawko AT hotmail DOT com

Please state if you are buying UV LEDs that you agree they are potentially dangerous if misused, and that you accept FULL responsibility for their use and indemnify me from any legal liability arising from their use.

Initial orders will be filled from 7-10 days from receipt of funds. Each Aviatrix is being HAND BUILT to your LED color specifications, and I don't have "stock" of existing pre-built mods.

One other thing - I can specially modify the circuit to operate on rechargeable cells (up to 8.5V) upon request, but there are some downsides to this and I am NOT recommending it as a general option unless you use rechargeable batteries almost ALL OF THE TIME. Please read post #38 on this thread for the full details.

Anything else I should know?
=====================

Yes - the Aviatrix is an AWESOME product! Seriously! I've been carrying my Red/White modified 2-Stage Aviatrix with me for nearly 2 weeks now, and I can't imagine ever going back to a single-color Aviator! It's that useful!
All Aviatrix mods come with a 10-year warranty, I'll pay shipping in both directions if anything ever fails or stops working. Abuse or mis-use not included, of course.
Because the Aviatrix is a custom-built modification, I am not offering refunds. Trust me - you won't want one! They're that great!
Included in your Aviatrix purchase is the modification circuit board, #0 screwdriver, complete modification instructions, and complete instructions for use. I will also modify your flashlight free of charge, but you must pay for shipping/insurance in both directions if you choose this option.

OK - this sounds too good to be true... what's the catch?
===========================================

No catch - just be one of the first 25 to sign up if you don't want to wait!
That... and it was designed by a chicken! :)

Best wishes,
Bawko

EDIT: Added information on rechargeable (8.5V) support in the status/availability section. See post #38 of this thread for full details.
(NOTE: This information is no longer valid. All Aviatrix models now support rechargeable LiIon batteries - no more special mods or warnings necessary.)
UPDATE: Added link to major project update, see post #110 or this link: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=163050
EDIT: Renamed "Locator Beacon" to "Marker Beacon" to more accurately reflect its intended purpose.
UPDATE: First production run and shipping commences! See post #112.
EDIT: Added "Deep Red" LED color to options. Not nearly as bright as the THC3 Red LEDs, but no orangish-tint and operates down to a lower battery voltage... giving you more runtime!
EDIT: Added "Support for all Li-Ion Batteries" in features list

Last edited:

Pyle-IT

Newly Enlightened
I will take 2 please.

One with- one red led and 2 white led's-- 2 stage

one with - 3UV led's- I understand the UV risk and accept responsibility!

paypal inbound

Last edited:

elnino

Enlightened
I'm in for (1) with one red led and two white led's on 1 ring - 2 stage.

Thanks.
paypal.gif

Last edited:

sejvaar

Newly Enlightened
If any Europeans are really desperate for one of these soon I will be in the area within a few weeks to a month and "might" be able to work something out as a courier and re-mail once in the EU. Things are a bit hectic but I will try to accommodate if possible as I understand how tough it is to get stuff there sometimes.

Praxis

Enlightened
Great!
I'm in for two.

1 single stage with UV LEDs (understand liability issues)
1 2 stage with white LEDs

Will e-mail for instructions
PP sent for $86.52

Last edited:

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any chance you'll be offering the "Aviatrix LED - A bare-bones LED ring" as truely bare, i.e. no LEDs?

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

imfrogman said:
I'll take 1 with 1 red & 2 white 2 stage.
What is pp address?

I've been getting a lot of emails asking for the paypal address, it is the same as the email address I listed in the original post:

bawko AT hotmail DOT com

Thanks to everyone for their interest and orders! :)

Best wishes,
Bawko

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

Minjin said:
Any chance you'll be offering the "Aviatrix LED - A bare-bones LED ring" as truely bare, i.e. no LEDs?

Only if you are willing to solder the surface-mount resistors onto the ring along with the LEDs. You see, every LED type has a different maximum current rating, which determines the value of the resistors you need to use to keep from burning out the LEDs. I could set this value to work with almost any LED (around 25ma), but it would make many high-output LED's (like the THC3 LEDs, which can be operated up to 100ma!) burn very dim compared to how their normal brightness should be.

If you want one of the "Bare Bones" LED rings without resistors or LEDs, I'll sell you one now - for $27.00 SHIPPED ($10 discount).

If you want me to set the resistor values to your specification or for a "works with any" value as described above, add $3.00.

Best wishes,
Bawko

Chao

Enlightened
I'm in for one 2-stage, with one red, two white led, paypal on the way, thanks.

Tuna

Newly Enlightened
I would like one of your Aviatrix 2-stage two white, one red LED on the same ring, please! :paypal:

Last edited: