Glow in the dark garage door --tacky?

reptiles

Enlightened
I was looking at some of the new waterproof (solvent based) glow paint by glowinc.com such as http://glowinc.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=6

I'm wondering if I paint my garage door with it --and pull into the driveway with my headlights on high... it should look fairly bright when I shut off the car's headlights (parked in the driveway.)

So it should light up the path to the house.

The stuff is supposed to be nearly white during the day.

This paint is expensive and I'm wondering if this is going to look high tech or like something escaped from a carnival?

Any advice appreciated!

Regards,

Mark

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want to paint a plywood board and lean it against the garage door to test how it looks.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that would be seriously cool. Find a matching non-GID paint and do the whole door and then paint your "message" with GID paint on the door. The posssibilities are enless.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can buy GID paint at the hardware store, too, it's cheaper, for more coverage. This will only work if it is pitch dark where your garage is, otherwise it will be difficult to see much. Also, when the moon is out, you might not see it.

Better to just get a flashlight.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably too pricey, but maybe the whole house later on? :wow:

Or maybe the older car in the family that needs a new paintjob.

But for now, the garage door looks like the perfect place to try that out. ;)
Good luck. :)

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your neighbors will love you for it --- NOT!. I guess it would be cool if you want your house to stand out. But standing out does not necessarily equate to aesthetic or tasteful.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do the whole house. Then wear some GID dentures and cover yourself in GID paint and go to your neighbour's house and ask them do you know what to do when your microwave explodes.:laughing:

Lightmeup

Enlightened
If your garage door glowed all night I'm sure your neighbors would get some black paint and let you know what they think of it with appropriate graffitti.

Empath

Flashaholic
For me, as important as it is to be able to turn a light on, it's important also to be able to turn it off. Sometimes you want dark. GID doesn't come with a switch.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
:thinking:
Still, gid materials do come with a time regulated "self dimming" feature.
Some stay visibly lit longer than others.
Or perhaps try it on a part of the house that the neighbors won't see out back.

WNG

Enlightened
Bear in mind...if it glows too bright, not only the neighbors will notice, but the local insects. You may end up having swarms in front of the garage.
Buy a lot of DEET.
:D

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
At most it's going to be funny for a passenger to see when you arrive home. Then your car is going to block the effect for everyone else.

How about a GID message, like, "don't forget to close the windows!"

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMHO a more impressive way to go would be to get a fluorescent paint (not GID), and install black lights above your garage door in place of regular flood lamps -- that way the "glowing" will be a lot more impressive, and you can "turn it off and on" at will (by switching the black lights). It would also appear to glow faintly in the daytime as well (from the UV from the sun).

An all fluorescent house would be very interesting, though it would look ridiculuosly tacky. Blacklight tubes could be installed under the eaves running along the entire house.

Last edited:

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a long time now, I've wanted to paint both the house and car with glow paint...but the cost would be prohibitive, and the neighbors wouldn't thank me. Actually, if you're artistic and come up with a nice mural or design though, that might work.

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
tebore said:
Do the whole house. Then wear some GID dentures and cover yourself in GID paint and go to your neighbour's house and ask them do you know what to do when your microwave explodes.
yellowlaugh.gif

Quality!
biggrin.gif

CFU

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I vote for doing a small scale test also. It sounds like an interesting project although GITD paint is pretty pricey, even the older zinc sulfide stuff, so I'd hate to see you spend a lot on an effect that doesn't work out. Maybe you can paint a single panel on the garage door as a test patch.

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if it's tasteful or not, but I think it's a splendid idea and well worth finding out. By day it will just look like any other off white anyhow. In the evening it will usually hardly be noticable. The light from GID products is soft and gentle. I'd rather my neighbors had that rather than some *&%% sodium lights that blast my backyard.