Anyone fit CREE mod into a SF G2 (150 lumens)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lukevsdarth

Newly Enlightened
Last edited by a moderator:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
It looks like one of the dealextreme drop-ins, and they are cheaper too. The DX drop-ins, $12.50 is the brighter one. My guess is that it is the same drop-in and will require some modification. An LED in a plastic polymer flashlight is not a good idea. A high-power LED need good heat sinking to prevent the LED from over heating in extended use.

if the drop in is really 3-9v, then it will have a buck-boost driver which has not been avaliable for any light of this low price. A white LED usually runs at 3.7v

Edit, Links:

DX $12.50 drop-in

Ultrafire Drop-in, less increase in brightness, out if stock(I think the Ebay one looks like this one)

X-Alpha a, the most expensive but is also the brighteset, I won't recommend using it in the G2 due to heat build up in a polymer flashlight.

Last edited:

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
Watch out for heat issues using the G2 as a host. I remember reading about people having problems with overheating beacause of the lack of heat transfer from the polymer body...

lukevsdarth

Newly Enlightened
popcorn.gif
Thanks, Gunner
No extended use here, a duty back up light for blinding assailants really. This mod should give me better runtime 3.7v x 2 . Cant be as bad as what i did with a G90bulb accidently left it on burned the lens and damaged two RCR123a's. No damage to the G90 bulb though. I also ordered a metal 6P bezel for heat dissapation. I also got a Ultrafire Xenon with clip (modded the clickie) really wanna Cree mod that instead for a back up EDC for the bezel use and clip .
whoopin.gif

**Holinked image removed**

Last edited by a moderator:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
"have no heat issue" is a bit of a difficult message... ;)
at least the runtime/degradation time of such a led inside a plastic housing is greatly reduced, depending on current and usual working time.

I have a 6P, modded with a Cree running at ~ 850-900 mA. Heatsink is about 1 cm thick, press fit into the body.
Gets pretty warm within 5 mins of use, max heat within 10 mins when placed somewhere. Very warm but still possible to grip then and have hand/blood push heat away, say some 45-55 deg. Celsius.

I highly doubt the led inside the plastic housing likes such a treatment.
Maybe going from the 50-thousand hours to about xx-xxx hours or even less?

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
This question comes up about once a week. It can be followed in several of the above referenced threads.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.