The Spherical Aspherical Mini Mag

rcnuk

Newly Enlightened
I just tried a easy mod someone posted about putting a acrylic sphere into a minimag and think it works great as pseudo Aspherical. To my unqualified eye it produces a much more focus beam and can't wait to take out tonight.
The minimag Aspherical Mod (credit goes to "unknown" but not me)
1x standard minimag
1x single LED drop-in or mod (needs to sit fairly low)
1x 3/4" acrylic sphere
Just remove the reflector/lens and replace with the sphere.

I'm easily amused :)

Last edited:

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anybody care to explain the difference between spherical and aspherical lenses? Other than the shape, which projects better, and which captures more light in the lens? Focal length?

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenlight said:
Anybody care to explain the difference between spherical and aspherical lenses? Other than the shape, which projects better, and which captures more light in the lens? Focal length?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lens_%28optics%29

Basically, spherical lenses have spherical curves, while aspheric lenses have a slightly different and more complicated shape that reduces aberration.

bridgman

Enlightened
Yep. The big advantage of spherical lenses is that they are much easier to grind on simple machinery. In these modern times where we can use "plastic" and "precision" in the same sentence without laughing, I guess aspherical lenses have become more affordable.

Alternatively, these surplus aspherical lenses may have originally cost as much as a Pentagon toilet ;)