Would a 6 volt latern focus a 6D mag bulb or a 4D cell LED drop in into a tight spot?

fire-stick

Enlightened
I seen one of these (or something like it) at walmart.

601349_front200.jpg

I was wondering.... If I made a custom battery pack for it and put a 6D maglite bulb in it, (the Mag-num Star kind), would the reflector in the 6 volt latern still focus a 6D maglite bulb into a tight spot?

What about using the standard 6 volt battery that it comes with and a 4 cell LED drop in? Would it focus a LED drop in into a tight spot?

Thanks

Scott

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Would a 6 volt latern focus a 6D mag bulb or a 4D cell LED drop in into a tight spot?

The 4D cell LED drop in would be a better option as the 6D mag bulb generates a lot of heat and may melt the reflector

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Would a 6 volt latern focus a 6D mag bulb or a 4D cell LED drop in into a tight spot?

Many lanterns have reverse polarity and may fry a regular LED bulb. There are reports of the Sears/Dorcy1 watt variable power bulb destroyed in an Eveready lantern. Check the polarity of the lantern first!!!

The Mag LED upgrade is extra fat and may not fit in the bulb holder of other lights. Ditto some of the higher powered TerraLUX/Diamond drop ins.

Last edited:

fire-stick

Enlightened

What about just putting a 4 cell mag-num star bulb in one, would that make it brighter?

Are those big 6 volt latern batteries junk?

zapper

Enlightened

I've done this already as well. Because of the bigger reflector it throws better. The Mag-num Star is much brighter and looks really nice and white but you have to use the equivalent bulb, the 4 cell version. If you try the 3 cell version it will instaflash. They seem to be more sensitive to overvoltage than the regular bulb. With that said, you can use a regular 3 cell bulb and overdrive it pretty good. It is not as bright or white as the Mag-num Star but still works as a back up bulb. It's cheap and fun to play with these low buck easily located bulbs and lights. Your milage may vary and have fun!

:grin2:

sysadmn

Enlightened
Between keyboard and chair, in the US Midwest.

The only drawback is that the 6 V lantern battery runs ~$9 round here. I've seen claims of 11000 - 18000 mAH capacity. 4 NiNH D cells are rated 10000, cost about 4-5 times as much, but can be recharged hundreds of times. Look for the version that uses a 4D to lantern adaptor.