Is there an EDC that charges in a USB?

Gointothelight

Newly Enlightened
I'd really like an EDC light that can recharge without having to remove the battery... maybe something that can plug into the USB port of a laptop... anything like that out there or on the horizon?

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, and you're looking at one of VERY FEW out there. Not that it should be that way, and there's tons of info out there that would explain this..

Radio

Modulated Moderator
Gointothelight said:
I'd really like an EDC light that can recharge without having to remove the battery... maybe something that can plug into the USB port of a laptop... anything like that out there or on the horizon?

I think that part is important :)

Gointothelight

Newly Enlightened
Last edited:

Gointothelight

Newly Enlightened
Illum_the_nation said:
That actually looks promising... too bad no real specs... but for a few dollars, worth looking at. I'm going to take a look at that Kensington Flylight 3.0 too. I really would like something that's less than $150 BUT higher quality then what I'm looking at now. Maybe something in the price range and power of a Peak Baltic or Pacific.

Martini

Enlightened
The next generation HDS/Novatac EDCs are supposed to be programmable via USB, but I haven't heard anything about charging. The EDCs can already differentiate between primaries and rechargeables, though, so who knows? It would be a terrific feature.

Gointothelight

Newly Enlightened
Martini said:
The next generation HDS/Novatac EDCs are supposed to be programmable via USB, but I haven't heard anything about charging. The EDCs can already differentiate between primaries and rechargeables, though, so who knows? It would be a terrific feature.
Where can I get info on these?

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an EDC light that charges by USB: my SE 810i.

Puts out significantly more light than any 5mm Photon or Photon clone. Just not as convenient to use.

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gointothelight said:
Where can I get info on these?

Most info and gossip about the new NovaTac model can be found in our little HDS/NovaTac Secret base.
smile.gif

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=63

CFU

You could also make a charger for charging up to 3 cell NiMH on USB rather easily.

Simply connect USB through to cells through a 10 ohm resistor. Even if the output was to be put under dead short, the current maxes out at 0.5A, the limit for USB. The only way to damage it is hooking up cells with excessive voltage or hooking it up backward.

With 3 completely empty NiMH cells in series, it would push about 230mA and drops to 60-100mA once they're full.

You could go higher w/ a lower value resistor, but 230mA is probably the safe limit for completely passive charging on AAAs

Gointothelight

Newly Enlightened
Handlobraesing said:
You could also make a charger for charging up to 3 cell NiMH on USB rather easily.

Simply connect USB through to cells through a 10 ohm resistor. Even if the output was to be put under dead short, the current maxes out at 0.5A, the limit for USB. The only way to damage it is hooking up cells with excessive voltage or hooking it up backward.

With 3 completely empty NiMH cells in series, it would push about 230mA and drops to 60-100mA once they're full.

You could go higher w/ a lower value resistor, but 230mA is probably the safe limit for completely passive charging on AAAs

Yikes... that may be a bit beyond me. Besides, what I'm really after is a light that can be recharged without removing the battery... would be great if it was waterproof too but now I may be asking too much.