ArmyTek        

Thread: What can I expect?

Flashaholic*

Default What can I expect?

I KNOW this is a hard question to answer, but...

I ordered an Arc LS "2nd" from Arc yesterday, and I'd love to know what to expect brightness wise - I've seen the reviews, and it seems slightly dimmer than a Surefire E2 (I have one, and love it)

How does it relate (brightness wise) to the much maligined Mini-Mag, which is still my mental reference? I'll probably run it on the 2xAA most of the time, but sometimes on the 123

Flashaholic

Default Re: What can I expect?

It changed the way I use flashlights. The ARC LS is bright enough to use outdoors, but with a dispersed hotspot broad enough to use indoors without unpleasant reflection. It's too bright to replace a Photon or ARC AAA indoors, and it's too dim to spot critters at 35 yards, but it'll replace most any flashlight you use in the broad spectrum between those extremes.

You may feel differently from the way I feel about it but I'll bet you'll like it, use it, and change your usage patterns.

Flashaholic*

OK, that is about what I expected - I was looking for something in that nitch - I have a AAA LE on order (to replace my PIII white), and I carry a Surefire E2 in the backpack at all times. The thing is, there are a LOT of times that the PIII isn't enough, and the Surefire is 1)Too much, and 2)Has too short a runtime

That's why I rushed to order the LS now, because I want the runtime of the LS-1, not the short life of the LS-3

Let's just hope that ARC has the SLS set I ordered in stock <g>

Flashaholic*

I just ordered my first product from Arc yesterday: an LS Seconds Kit. I had 2 CC Extremes and both had the same problem: LED went into strobe mode after about an hour's worth of use. The focusable LED flashlight fills a nitch for me, so I plan to try the 2 cell LED PR replacement bulb in my 2D Mag-Lite. If it doesn't go into strobe mode, and focuses nicely, I will be happy.

I have a Lightwave 4000 for lots of light and long duration, though good old channel locks are required to break the seal (gently applied). Two Brinkmann Rebels for a different nitch. Three different headlamps (all have LED bulbs), a CMG Infinity, Standard Krill (white), and waiting on an extreme krill (green).

Addicted? Sure. Now that I finally have my home built computer system where I want it, my attention has turned to LED lights again. (grin)

When I evaluate something, I look at not only backpacking usage, but also look at emergency/disaster usage. I worstcase the latter, in order to plan accordingly.