fenix l2d-ce

vic2367

Enlightened
is it safe to put a 14500 recharegable li-ion battery in this ? its rated at 3.7v ,,,am asking cause i currently have one in now ,,,left the light on for like 5 mins straight and my rubber tailcap just expanded like a balloon,,,thanks,,can these lights handle 3.7v or just 3.0v ?

nickz

Enlightened
The 14500's are rated at 3.7v but come off the charger around 4.1-4.2v. I have no idea if it is safe to use or not but it is going to be over the rating of the light.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
vic2367 said:
is it safe to put a 14500 recharegable li-ion battery in this ? its rated at 3.7v ,,,am asking cause i currently have one in now ,,,left the light on for like 5 mins straight and my rubber tailcap just expanded like a balloon,,,thanks,,can these lights handle 3.7v or just 3.0v ?

The Fenix L1D/L2D head is supposed to handle 4.0V(according to Fenix themselves), allthough the head drops out of regulation over 3.0V. The reason your tailcap expanded is due to released gas from the batteries(since the light is waterproof, the gas has nowhere to go). What kind of dummy cell did you use? I don't know that much about batteries, but don't think I heard about a single li-ion cell releasing gas like that.

vic2367

Enlightened
heard somewhere that i should or could put some alunim around the dummy cell ...where exactly do i wrap the alunimum ? the ends,,,the whole battery itself ?

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
i don't think you want to use a discharged aa. there is a chance of reversing the polarity when using mix and match batteries, and even if one battery is higher charged (more voltage) than the other one.

you my friend, are doing both. double trouble!

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
by the way, can i run a 14500 in a single aa fenix cree?
can i run the 3.6 vaaa version in a single aaa fenix cree?

basicly i want a kick butt super small fenix light!

tekka0417

Newly Enlightened
A word of caution: Mixing different batteries = BAD! Cells could potentially EXPLODE!

Depleted cells are not dummy cells. If you need dummy AA's look here.

BTW: The L1D and L2D can use 14500's but only 1 at a time!

Last edited:

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whoa there, Vic, using a depleted alkaline as a dummy is a BIG NO NO!

And I really dont understand the point in using a 14500 in a L2D, it shouldnt be that much brighter (allthough I havent tried)? Or am I wrong?

@Jasonmaglite
I havent run a 14500 in a Fenix L1D, but there are a lot of people on the board who has and no one has reported any problems yet, so I think it's fairly harmless.

Lobo said:
The Fenix L1D/L2D head is supposed to handle 4.0V(according to Fenix themselves), allthough the head drops out of regulation over 3.0V. The reason your tailcap expanded is due to released gas from the batteries(since the light is waterproof, the gas has nowhere to go). What kind of dummy cell did you use? I don't know that much about batteries, but don't think I heard about a single li-ion cell releasing gas like that.

That is true in regard to L2T, but Fenix's site doesn't mention the acceptable voltage range on the L2D-CE. Can you link me where you found this info?

If it was what they told you personally but it loses some functions (i.e. regulation on some mode), I would consider it a design flaw or inflated advertising.

vic2367

Enlightened
hey lobo ur right ,,,not a noticeable difference in light output or power between the 3.7v 14500 and the 2600mah 1.2v recharegables ,,,,

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Handlobraesing said:
That is true in regard to L2T, but Fenix's site doesn't mention the acceptable voltage range on the L2D-CE. Can you link me where you found this info?

According to Quickbeam, according to Fenix. I asked him in the LxD-review thread in the review section and he said that what's Fenix said to him. Can't bother to dig up the link now, but it should be fairly easy to find.

And yes, I agree, it's a design flaw. But since the LxD have so extremely good regulation on regular batteries, it wasnt perhaps possible to get the best of both worlds. I'm happy, I don't run the lights on Li-ion anyway.

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
vic2367 said:
im using a discharged AA cell ,,,is that ok ?
vic2367 said:
heard somewhere that i should or could put some alunim around the dummy cell ...where exactly do i wrap the alunimum ? the ends,,,the whole battery itself ?

:faint::eeksign::eek:

My mouth was hanging open and my eyes as big as ping pong balls while reading this.. You were joking right? This is bad on so many levels....