Rant - Selfish people!

I'm not sure what makes them think that way, but one thing I know is that for some reason, they feel they deserve exceptions or special treatment.

Situation 1:
Some guy on college campus ripping flowers from landscape.
I ask him "So, does it occur to your mind you're destroying campus landscape? If everyone did this, the landscape would be a wreck "

He responds "yes" in a sad tone of voice.. I respond, "so why are you doing it? Tell that special someone you ----'d up the campus landscape, so you won't have to pay money for the flower, she'll understand" This guy gave up ripping more flower, walked off keeping what he's already taken.

Then the same day, there is this car parked in the yellow no parking zone, directly blocking the hydrant. When other drivers are going around looking for a parking space, this person apparently thought he is entitled to park anywhere he want. Out comes the tow truck, just as I expect to be towed if I were to park there.

Do you guys come across people who thinks they deserve exceptions?

Nereus

Enlightened
I own a dog and live in the centre of Helsinki. It is essential that all dog-owners pick poo of their pet and take it to trash bin, otherwise there will be quite a mess.
icon15.gif
However, there are few dog owners who do not do so...
jpshakehead.gif
Well, that's a minor problem but still it is annoying.

-N

Nereus said:
I own a dog and live in the centre of Helsinki. It is essential that all dog-owners pick poo of their pet and take it to trash bin, otherwise there will be quite a mess.
icon15.gif
However, there are few dog owners who do not do so...
jpshakehead.gif
Well, that's a minor problem but still it is annoying.

-N

Follow him home and dump it on his door step.

But realistically, I would've taken a pic, followed him home and followed up with animal control, who can issue a citation or take the animal in extreme cases.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nereus said:
I own a dog and live in the centre of Helsinki. It is essential that all dog-owners pick poo of their pet and take it to trash bin

This is a major pet peeve of mine. I live RIGHT on the border between two coastal cities, I mean RIGHT on the border. Literally, my side of the street is one city (upper middle class) and when you cross the street, you're in a city with a higher mean income. So the people from the nicer city walk their dogs across the street to go poo in my front yard, then they walk back to their beautiful and poop-free city leaving me to clean up their mess!!

They also do that with ther crappy cars... park the junkers in front of my house, while the nice new Lexus is in their driveway.

I get my own little brand of revenge on Wednesday mornings when bringing out my trash bins for collection by boxing in their crappy cars hahaha. (They're not supposed to park on the street on trash days anyway!!)

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
This goes both ways IMHO. My wife is physically disabled, as a result of a major car accident almost nine years ago. Her legs and one foot are essentially rebuilt with pins, screws, and plates. She uses a "Handicapped" parking permit now and then, as walking any distance upon concrete or a non-giving surface exacerbates her pain, discomfort, and accelerates the debilitating arthritis.

She gets so peeved when she parks in one of the designated spots, places her permit on her mirror, gets out of the car and immediately gets challenged by "non-handicapped" people. She's heard it all, from "this spot is for physically disabled people and YOU'RE NOT" to "...prove you're disabled" to "this is for people in wheelchairs only." She's very attractive, petite, and gets carded when attempting to purchase a glass of wine at dinner, so I guess she doesn't fit the image of everyone's stereotypical "physically disabled" person.:rolleyes:

We understand people are attempting to look out for the disabled, but when they almost accost someone who IS disabled, asking for proof or berating her, a line is crossed. For what it is worth, this happens a few times per month. Her tag line is now "I spent nine months in a wheelchair and in physical therapy to learn to walk again. So this is the good news. I hope to be able to walk to the store and back again without my crutches today. I hope that is ok with you. If not, please contact the police so the issue is clarified and this harassment may end."

BrighTor

Newly Enlightened
Chronos,

I totally understand where you're coming from. My dad has a serious back injury and gets the "you don't look handicapped" line a lot. He walks with a cane and a pronounced limp. Maybe they should have "wheelchair handicapped" spots so people will leave other folks alone about "looking handicapped?"

I have to admit though, when I see someone climbing out of a Corvette hanging a handicapped sticker on their rearview mirror, I do have nagging little thoughts in my mind wondering what exactly their handicap is. My dad would NEVER be able to get up out of one of those things...but I wouldn't speak out on it. I figure I never know the full story, and it's not really my place in the first place.

As far as other selfishness, my across-the-street neighbors park their boat in their driveway and their cars in front of my house and on my lawn sometimes. I find this very frustrating. If they're on the grass, I'll leave a note asking them to not park on the grass, but that's about as far as I go. I try to live and let live.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
When I lived in Seattle, what urinated me most was drivers that parked their cars directly in front of the curb cuts - forcing me to make a sometimes-substantial detour before I could continue my journey.

Here is an example of that very thing I posted on CPF several years back (in 2002):

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is what I h8.

Company van. Parked directly in front of the wheelchair cut-out in the sidewalk, and right in front of his place of employment too! With this dillhole parked here, I have to go 2 blocks up, 1 block across, 2 blocks back down, and 1 block the other way in order to go 50 lousy feet.

Once I finally got across, I screwed on the zoom lens and tried to get his license number. Without a tripod it was pretty much impossible to get a good shot. But I think I nailed it: TYE-133

The insolent bunghole, I hope he gets one of those pink sheets or whatever you get for being fired.

I so much wanted to slash his tyres or flip open his gas cap and use it for a urinator (**** in it), but at the same time I didn't want to get a ticket myself that I couldn't afford to pay and that I'd end up "working off" making license plates in the local constabulary. :shakehead:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

starfiretoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
One day at my post office it was very crowded except for 2 spaces next to each other. Guy turns in front of me into one stall and i have to turn into the handicap. He comes out ranting at me, saying that stall should be used by permited handicaps like himself. OK, this wasn't selfish more hypocritical. This is a small town and i seen him parked in the handi-stall many times. Maybe he needed someone to ball out this time.
icon3.gif