Petzl Myo goes Seoul P4, w/pics

Nereus

Enlightened
I have had incan Petzl Myo headlamp for 3 years and now it was finally time to upgrade it to SSC P4 u-bin led. Here you can see the Myo before modding:

P4190465.jpg

First I disconnected the wires coming to the light unit and removed the reflector:

P4190467.jpg

Then I removed the plastic incan bulb socket...

P4190468.jpg

...and dissamblied the socket so that I could remove all metal contacts:

P4190469.jpg

How to heatsink the led, the light is made of plastic? Answer below: I built a copper heat tower and aluminium heatsink:

P4200471.jpg

Here you can see the hole I made to the headlamp case and socket for the heat tower:

P4190470.jpg

Below is the led and heat tower installed:

P4200472.jpg

That's what the heatsink looks like. It runs quite warm but it stays touchable even after 15 min run which is good becuse you don't want to keep boiling aluminium on your forehead skin!
icon15.gif

P4230477.jpg

Front view with the reflector installed:

P4230476.jpg

Below is the general view a the finished mod. You can also see the switch I installed and the DB500 converter wrapped with blue tape:

P4230478.jpg

Below is a beamshot. The beam is not perfect but it is decent for outdoor activities. The original focusing ability is still there. In this photo the beam is fully focused...

P4230479.jpg

...and here it is fully unfocused:

P4230480.jpg

Runtime is some 7-9 hours.

Thanks for looking!
smile.gif

-N

Last edited:

lexina

Enlightened
always fun and educational to look at mods with such detailed step-by-step photos...thanks for sharing!

Jumi

Enlightened
Great mod

I have Myo 5 which I want to mod, so this helps me quite a bit. But I want to stay with original switch so thats some more thinking, but that heat tower is nice.

Juha

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good work,
Can you tell us what battries it runs on? It it direct drive?
Thanks for sharing.

kfarrar

Newly Enlightened
What exactly does a Downboy 500 converter do?

Has anyone tried a Xenon bulb?

ifor powell

Enlightened
To bad I have broken my old Myo and just canabilised it for the strap and head unit or I would be having a go at copying this mod. Still having the focasable lense is great I realy want to do a light with an adjustable focus. Prehaps I shoud checkout ebay for one to mod....

Ifor

Latest posts