D-Mini ULTRA Floodlight???

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was trying to change reflectors on my D-mini and I accidentaly unscrewed the whole head of the flashlight exposing the lead. It was dark and I turned it on, and Wow...

The whole room lit up. It is like my MMagled 3AA except 3 times brighter. I walked outside with it and it lit up 20 feet all around me.

Has anyone else done this? It kind of makes the light even cooler to me. It is both a great little spot light, and a whole room lighter if desired...just don't drop it on its exposed led:)

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMHO a snap-on diffuser cap would be a great option for a lot of these light. If you're using the light indoors, removing the head to use as a candle is one thing, but I wouldn't risk doing that outdoors where dirt etc. could get into the exposed head.

frank777

Enlightened
Woodrow,

I'm glad to find another CPF user who prefers the floodlight over the concentrated spot.... I was beginning to think I was the only one. I have tried removing the reflector for some lights, but what works even better for me is buying a surefire lens diffuser, cutting and sanding it down to size, and replacing the original lens. It gives you a great floodlight even brighter than removing the reflector. Of course, it will cost you $30 and 30 minutes of labor, but I think it's worth it.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
frank777 said:
Woodrow,

I'm glad to find another CPF user who prefers the floodlight over the concentrated spot.... I was beginning to think I was the only one. I have tried removing the reflector for some lights, but what works even better for me is buying a surefire lens diffuser, cutting and sanding it down to size, and replacing the original lens. It gives you a great floodlight even brighter than removing the reflector. Of course, it will cost you $30 and 30 minutes of labor, but I think it's worth it.
Another idea is to put frosted adhesive films over the stock lens. I persoanlly would like the idea of having a light with a diffuser that would "snap onto" the light, and could maybe even be attached to the light with a lanyard similar to a lens-cap. That way it would be possibel to switch between extreme throw or flood.

another advantage of the flood is that rather than a bright point-source, you have a diffused glow -- which is more comfortabel for working up close, or lighting up a room (simialr to the difference between a clear light bulb and a frosted bulb -- the frosting makes it easier on the eyes)

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
The D mini was designed for throw. I tried to experiment a little bit to get some flood out of it. But i wasn't too impressed. I believe the amilite (5?) or one of those is a pure flood light.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the huge flood feature is very cool, but I love mine because it is a mini spotlight. I have both reflectors and the smooth one stays on most of the time. It is nice to know that a room filling glow is only a couple of twists away.

One of the amazing things to me is that using the D-mini in candle mode vs. the MMagled 3AA in candle mode. When I bought the MMag I thought it was a decently bright led light. Boy how times have changed in a few months.