SHORT TAKE - Streamlight TLR-1 Weapon Light

cslinger

Enlightened
I have had my TLR-1 for a bit now and have used it mounted on both a .45 Caliber Springfield XD pistol and a SIG 556 .223 caliber rifle. I thought I would give a few quick observations.

1)This light is a great piece of kit for the dollar. Very robust, great switching mechanism etc. For $100 I haven't seen anything that can touch it and I personally think it is as good if not better then the current Surefire X200 offerings. Yes blasphemy, I know, but take into consideration I am a Surefire fan.

2)The light that it produces is excellent. Probably around an honest 70 lumens or so. The beam is flawless and provides plenty of spill along with really good throw for a small LED light. The 3 watt actually compares favoribly with my single cell CREE lights on high.

3)On both the pistol and rifle the light is very easy to mount and handles great. Switchs are very easy to reach and operate. Since it is such a small addition in both weight and size it has a very small effect on pistol handling and NO effect on rifle handling.

4)Using this light in both indoor and outdoor situations shows that it would be perfectly acceptable for out to say 50 yards or so maybe a tad less. Indoors it lights up a whole room with ease and has enough spill beam to identify potential targets WITHOUT pointing the firearm directly at them (low ready). This is good since if one is not on a military operation, it is very likely one doesn't actually want to shoot at every bump in the night whether ye be LEO or home owner.

5)Battery life is great. No actual run times to report but it definitely does better then my Surefire P60/61 mounted on my 870.

6)Durability seems excellent as neither pistol or rifle recoil have phased the light, nor has a few accidental bashes into the wall. The finish at the top of the light has worn off due to muzzel blast from the pistol though.

7)Value is out the park IMO. If you are looking for a 2 celled weapon light I personally think this is the one to get right now. Once the Surefire CREEs become available this might change but assuming the price difference it may not change much.

My quick and dirty two cents.

Chris.

XD45 With TLR-1
114042.jpg

SIG 556 with TLR-1
123163.JPG

Last edited:

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
good review.

two things i'd like to add:

-unlike the SF models, it has no main OFF switch so it is possible to have an ALD (accidentally light discharge). i don't find this to be a problem when used on a handgun which is in a kydex holster where it's unlikely to be hit on by error. but when mounted on a long gun and hanging in the breeze, it might be a good idea to add a butler-creek-hinged-type lens cap to guarantee that you don't hit it on when you don't want it on.

-the TLR-2 version with laser is also a fantastic deal (if one needs a laser too).

jtice

Flashaholic
Nice writeup,
I also have a TLR-1 and use it mainly on my Glock 19.
It simply cant be beat for the money, I looked at the Surefire ones, but they didnt give me any compelling reason to spend almost twice as much on them.

I agree with Chev, Nice Sig ! :thumbsup:

~John

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the TLR-2, and modified it with a Seoul P4, and had the red laser replaced with an infra red for use with NVG. I agree, the TLR's are a great value over the Surefires. They are built like tanks.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Nice Sig cslinger. :) I've had a TRL-2 since the end of last year and it a very solid light. It's not quite and trim as the X200s but the difference isn't that noticable especially on a rifle. I'm very impressed with the value of this light.

cslinger

Enlightened
You are absolutely right about the master off switch. These lights really are great though and work extremely well. I just ran a couple hundred rounds through the SIG this weekend and the light makes no difference in weight, handling or feel and seems like it will hold up forever.

Here is another shot of the two guns with the TLRs attached. The 556 is also no longer naked and has a proper set of iron sights added.

123624-big.JPG

Hooligan

Newly Enlightened
I run one of these on my Sig P220R and have good things to say. Beam quality is excellent, and my light is fine despite getting banged around a little bit.

Excuse the powder residue, she does get used. :)

220R_2.jpg

Weskix

Newly Enlightened
Your supposed to take a picture of your gun when its clean, I don't know how any light gets through the lens of your TLR-1 with 500 rounds of powder residue on it. Just Kidding, Nice Sig. I had a TLR-2 for a while and loved it to death supprising throw on that light with quite a bit of flood too. For the price you can't beat the streamlight weapon lights.

P1010026.jpg

Hooligan

Newly Enlightened
Well, I like to show pics of guns that get USED because it seems like a lot of people are worried about the finish on them rather than how they work. Some people on SigForum think I am nuts for installing a TLR1 on my 220R because it will probably remove some finish on the rail. OH NO! The aluminum frame might rust! Oh, wait, nevermind...

You are right though, it doesn't take many rounds down the tube to render the light virtually useless. I need to get in the habit of wiping something on the lense before I head to go shoot so that it doesn't stick so hard (it can be a pain to get off).

Nice 229 by the way, my carry gun is a 229R in .40.

MetalHead

Newly Enlightened
cslinger,
Good review, I agree on all points, the TLR-1 is a great light. I currently have one on a P226R and will probabaly get another for the G19, and probabaly another after that, just because. After having had a chance recently to compare side by side with an x200b, I have no regrets in NOT throwing away an addtional $150+ for the SureFire. Mine suffered from a slight donut-hole problem, but SL CS took care of it. BTW, thanks for the 556 pics, its nice to see one with irons! ;)

Hooligan,
Agreed on your SIG + TLR analysis. Its unfortunate SIG produced their 1913 Compatible:rolleyes: rail the way they did, but as far as I'm concerned, I'll take a little finish wear for a secure mount any day. If you get a chance I would suggest getting a SL flip cover down the road. I put an old IR Flip cover left over from an M3X on my TLR and it does a good job of keeping the crud off the lens. BTW, after-action gun pics are always schweet.

matthew127

Newly Enlightened
I was going to ask for advice on upgrading the TLR-1 LEDs to something insane and maybe strobing before I noticed the SIGcentric direction of the posts and have to confess mine is mounted on a Sig P226 (.40) with a bar-sto .40 to 9mm conversion and a lone wolf compensator ( I was going to experiment with very hot 9mm frangible rounds, somewhere in the vicinity of .357) aand now I have to find a camera to take a pic of my sidearm. Having said that, how easy is it to upgrade the LED?

supes

Enlightened
matthew127,

Have you looked at the new Insight XTI Procyon? This light is on the same level as the SF X300 in terms of brightness, more flood to my eyes and it has the option for fast strobe. Plus it is easier to detach than the TLR1. Its also smaller then the X300, which would be much smaller then the TLR1. I'm still using my X300 though because the switching is easy for me.

loadedoperator

Newly Enlightened
I have the TLR1 mounted on my Loaded Operator and the M3X on my G17. I must say I do like the TLR1 beam, tint, and body better than the M3X.

loadedoperator

Newly Enlightened
Weskix,
I've been wanting to get the TLR2 once funds are available. How is the laser holding zero, good, rezero?

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just FYI for those who don't yet know, but the TLR-1 is now available with Streamlight's C4 LED (which is quite bright).

Tackleberry81

Newly Enlightened
Had mine for about a year now, no problems yet.

Bezel was broken, (glass broke and bezel dented) during a weapon retention class that got a little out of hand. Still worked with no issues. Streamlight replaced it without a problem.

It's been mounted on my Sig 226 and G17, currently on the G17, and I'll be picking up another when I get a rail system for the 12ga.

Is there a direct drop-in upgrade LED? I'm not into that whole soldering thing.

G17andTLR1.jpg

SigsandSniper.jpg

Last edited:

veleno

Enlightened
How efficient is C4 led? Has it a good spill?

I'm interested in the TLR-2, but I don't know anything about this led.