Words of Wisdom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catdaddy

Enlightened
Nope. You won't find much of that here.

But I do offer this:

I have known for a long time that email and SMS can easily cause problems when dealing with emotional subjects, even for long time friends or family members. It is very easy to misread a person when you can't see their face nor hear the inflections in their words. I should have enough sense to know that forums are even more sensitive areas since most of the time we have very little history wiht each other and know nothing about personalities. [get ready for the words of wisdom] Therefore, don't post messages when you are dealing with touchy issues, when you THINK you may have been cheated and are on the offensive, nor when you have just heard that your father has bone cancer. (please don't reply to this last phrase. I really don't want to discuss that) PLEASE!

That last part is not for sympathy and it is not an excuse. I am simply attempting to figure out how I managed to get into a fight on this forum, with my wife, my secretary, my assistant, my neighbor, and my son's socker coach...all in the same 24 hour period. I guess I am angry and defensive....no...offensive.

I am honestly sorry for hurting anyone with my posts. That was truthfully not intentional. I tried, in vain I guess, to be objective and not point the finger at anyone. I still can't quite see what all the fuss was about. This is the part where not knowing personalities and not hearing tones in voices comes into play.

I still have the now famous #498. I found out yesterday that a real gentleman posted first and offered to take it just so no one else whould jump on it. When I tried to send it to him, he gratiously refused. Merri did offer a first replacement which I suppose I should take. Thank you.

I am not sure how much I will be back here for a while, so please don't take it personally if I do not respond to messages.

Boy! I hope this came out the way I intended it.
God bless you all.
John

Darell

Flashaholic
Thanks John. Damn near brought a tear to my eye. That doesn't happen very often here on the CPF. You're a stand-up guy, and I for one, really appreciate your words.

Be well,

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi John,

You've asked us not to go there so I won't; but I've been there, as have many among us, no doubt.

We're all free to come and go here and for many of us, we give and get more than just info on flashlights and batteries. You have identified some of the weaknesses and pitfalls of a public forum like CPF and yet your post here has shown one of the values of such a forum.

As a member of the CPF, with no more or no less rights than the next member, thanks for your words of wisdom and I look forward to seeing you on the CPF.

Remember, you're not alone. You're a goofy flashaholic like the rest of us :)

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, we are a Discussion Board and very much a community, so *disagreements* will happen - it's to be expected ......
Confusions can arise between members, as we all know.

Actually, I agree with most everything everyone has posted, so - I'll leave it at that.

Jahn

( Catdaddy, all the best regarding the personal matter you mentioned. Sincerely, Jahn )

Light-Headed

Enlightened
Hi John,

I for one am a little glad that this all happened. No, I'm not crazy....well....I am a little.....but that's beside the point. You mentioned in your post that it's a little hard in here sometimes because it's hard to get to know someone in a forum like this. Well, with your post above, I think we all got to know you......even if it was just a little bit.

Originally posted by Catdaddy:
I am simply attempting to figure out how I managed to get into a fight on this forum, with my wife, my secretary, my assistant, my neighbor, and my son's socker coach...all in the same 24 hour period. I guess I am angry and defensive....no...offensive.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">As far as this statment that you made....I think there's a very simple explanation for it. You....like all the rest of us....are human. It really is that simple. And when things weigh down on us, we all (and I stress the "ALL" part) can, without meaning to, say things that may be taken wrong by some people. I read and participated in your original thread and could certainly understand the concern you had and can understand why emotion may have taken over.

Believe me, I've made more mistakes than one human should be allowed in a lifetime. I guess what I'm trying to say John is....don't worry about it. As far as I'm concerned (and I hope everybody else in here as well), the matter is cleared up and forgotten and everything in here is cool and the gang.

P.S. Try not to stay gone too long John. This forum can use all the good souls that we can find. And God bless you and your family as well. My prayers are with you.

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't stay away too long, Catdaddy. No one on this BB (or any other) is totally infallible and God knows I've tripped over my own tongue and poked myself in the eye with it more than a coupla times here too. But I guess the CPF welcomes this very human infallibity and such is the nature of this wonderful community (OK, Darell, you can start crying now...
grin.gif
).

Truly and seriously, we hope you'll still come by often, Catdaddy. Rock on and peace, dude....

Deth

Newly Enlightened
Well, you're obviously a better man than most John. It takes a lot of guts to admit fault, even in an essentially anonymous forum such as CPF (or for that matter most other web boards).

camisdad

Newly Enlightened
You don't need to apologize to us John - we have all made mistakes. I think the only one to whom you owe an apology is Spudman.

Best - Michel

Status
Not open for further replies.