Malkoff M@g v. MRV

RdlyLite

Enlightened
Can't wait for the comparisons to come.

I sure hope Mr. Malkoff opens the store back up soon. With Mattk's intro price on the MRV. Those folks shopping around for a non hid/incan/ thrower might go the MRV route.

SEMIJim

Enlightened
RdlyLite said:
Can't wait for the comparisons to come.
Yeah, that'll be interesting.

RdlyLite said:
I sure hope Mr. Malkoff opens the store back up soon. With Mattk's intro price on the MRV. Those folks shopping around for a non hid/incan/ thrower might go the MRV route.
Oh, I dunno as Gene's got anything to worry about on that account. They're different lights. Besides, Gene's drop-in has a big advantage in run time and is quite a bit less expensive, even if you add $15 or so for a 3-D Mag host and compared to the MRV's pre-sale price.

RdlyLite

Enlightened
SEMIJim said:
Yeah, that'll be interesting.

Oh, I dunno as Gene's got anything to worry about on that account. They're different lights. Besides, Gene's drop-in has a big advantage in run time and is quite a bit less expensive, even if you add $15 or so for a 3-D Mag host and compared to the MRV's pre-sale price.
Form factor, my friend.

But I am most interested in two things about the lights. They are one of the very few hi-powered Led and both supposed to have major throw. But you make some excellent points.

SEMIJim

Enlightened
RdlyLite said:
Form factor, my friend.
Admittedly, for the same light output, most will choose the smaller, lighter form factor. But not all. Some people actually prefer the D- and C-cell Mag form factor. Others might prefer the great run-time with plain old off-the-shelf alkaline cells.

My thinking runs thusly: I've got a 3xD-cell Mag that I'd hate to commit to the landfill. Gene's drop-in will turn it into a real torch for $70 (incl. stippled reflector). For that I can get some pretty awesom runtime off off readily-availabe D-cells. Now: Do I spend $70 on that or (at least) 30% more (at the introductory price and with the discount) for the MRV?

I don't really know. But I'm thinkin' my need for a "thrower" is really pretty limited. (What I really want, LP seems disinterested in making.) So I'm thinkin' the more economical route is the wiser one for me.

BMRSEB

Enlightened
Gene ... needs to make a 2D Mag drop-in.. Then I might not get the MRV..:grin2:

Currently, I'm running 6AA's in a 2D Mag with the new TerraLUX SSC P4 drop-in and it's pretty bright, good sidespill and throw..

Wonder if I could use his 3D Mag drop in with 6AA's?? :whistle:

nickz

Enlightened
BMRSEB said:
Gene ... needs to make a 2D Mag drop-in.. Then I might not get the MRV..:grin2:

Currently, I'm running 6AA's in a 2D Mag with the new TerraLUX SSC P4 drop-in and it's pretty bright, good sidespill and throw..

Gene's drop ins work with either 3D or 2D mags. IIRC, the 2d setup with drop in will run around the 700ma mark while the 3D runs at 1000ma.

SEMIJim

Enlightened
BMRSEB said:
IIRC, Gene answer that already and the answer was a definitive "no."

What would be amusing, however, would be to cut a Mag down to accept a single D-Cell and put a 3AA->D carrier and one of Gene's drop-ins in it :D

daveman

Enlightened
nickz said:
Gene's drop ins work with either 3D or 2D mags. IIRC, the 2d setup with drop in will run around the 700ma mark while the 3D runs at 1000ma.
I believe Gene has stated that he will consider upping the amp on the 2D Mag from the previously stated 700 ma. Makes sense to me, as he had formerly offered 2D Mags at 1 amp setting, so heatsink obviously is not a problem with the 2D body, and a runtime of 3+ hours @ 1 amp from 2Ds is more than anyone can ask for, might as well take the added output over 700 ma.

SEMIJim

Enlightened
LiteBrite said:
What's an MRV?
Check the Manufacturer's section and the Dealers section. You'll find an announcement from LumaPower in the former and one from MattK at Battery Junction in the latter. (No point in repeating it all here.)