RGB Table Lights (Lots of pics)

Amonra

Enlightened
I had been commissioned to build 20pcs battery powered RGB table lights on a tight budget to be used in conferences. after some thinking i figured that by using some 5mm red green and blue led strip lights sla batts. and some pots i could do it rather cheaply and easily.

so after a lot of wiring and soldering i came up with this:

DSC00542.jpg

the pots do not do the best job in mixing since for the first 75% of the turn nothing much happens and brightness goes up very fast for the remaining 25% of the turn but i managed to find some 1K linear pots that have a relatively smoothish curve and do the job nicely for this application.
i split the strips into four to get a better distribution of the light and eliminate any shadow. i positioned them close to the centre to remove any hotspots and get better colour mixing.
The batt is a 12V 4.5Ah SLA and with all colours running at full power the array pulls 480mA so it should last for at least 8 hours on one charge.

here are the results:

DSC00541.jpg

DSC00540.jpg

DSC00539.jpg

DSC00538.jpg

DSC00537.jpg

DSC00536.jpg

DSC00535.jpg

The pics are take on my mobile phone camera so colours are a bit different in reality. the setup is capable of many more colours and shades but the camera does not pick them up.

since i had so many led's i tot id have a bit of fun before i delivered them so i hooked up ten arrays in my room to see the effect:

DSC00533.jpg

DSC00532.jpg

DSC00531.jpg

DSC00530.jpg

DSC00529.jpg

The arrays are about 3 meters away from that wall. again the camera does not pick up any of the other colours especially with this kind of brightness.

Thanks for looking

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Neat. I take it that you select a color by various combinations of settings on the three pots?

ledvador

Newly Enlightened
Prety nice...
Would be it more beautyfull but prehaps a litle expessive to lite the table itself by using a traslucent plate?
What i am thinking is a plexiglass with a smooth diffuser.

Last edited:

Amonra

Enlightened
RonM: yep you just increase or decrease the intensity of the red green or blue via the three pots to achieve the desired colour.

Ledvador: the tables cannot be changed/modified as they are being rented for the event.

hank:sure here you go:

four core cable ( i used six core but four core will do ) your needed length
three pots 1K Ohms linear
12V SLA Battery or 12V Walwart power supply
a couple of pieces of hardboard ( used to hold the pots and led arrays )
glue gun and glue sticks ( to stick the arrays to the hardboard and table )
a couple of sliders for the battery terminals
male and female socket for four ( or six ) wires ( you dont really need this one )
and red, green and blue led strips

connect all of the above together and you are done

ICUDoc

Enlightened
Wow amonra that looks really nice. For the first time I am tempted to try out a couple of high-powered coloured arrays. Thanks for the pics!

Amonra

Enlightened
the 480 mA is split between 3 pots but only with all colours at max brightness. 480mA is what is being pulled from the battery