Streamlight SIDEWINDER

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is important enough to deserve its own thread.

I'm very eager to see this light. I'd long hoped for a 2AA side-by-side, polymer bodied LED light from a decent manufacturer.

Thanks to wwglen for providing this info:

Finally found my information from the Marine Expo....The flashlingt from streamlight is "SIDEWINDER"

2-AA
rectangular with pivot head
185 degree head pivot
waterproof (o-rings and gaskets)
4.95 oz
Pull to turn led selector (white, infra red, blue, red)
4 light intensities for each color by push button on side of selector switch
about the size of a pack of cigaretts
Desert tan or OD green
nylon polomer body
60 hours on low power color leds
I THINK it was a 1/2 watt white led but don know for sure
clip to mount on LBV
Optional helmet mount

wwglen

iveseenthelight

Newly Enlightened
considering other lights on the market, and the led technology that is coming out; this seems like a somewhat boring entry from streamlight; having said that I realize it is most likely a special use light.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
iveseenthelight said:
considering other lights on the market, and the led technology that is coming out; this seems like a somewhat boring entry from streamlight; having said that I realize it is most likely a special use light.

Maybe boring to you, but not to me.

Boring to me is yet another Chinese Cree light - yawn.

To each his own.

wwglen

Enlightened
No more info.

I searched GOOGLE and only found one place listing it for about $65.

Of course not in stock and no picture.

I don't think it was a prototype because it was displayed at about 3 different booths in the show. Must be a limited production run for evaluation by the potential customers.

wwglen

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
wwglen said:
No more info....I searched GOOGLE and only found one place listing it for about $65....Of course not in stock and no picture....I don't think it was a prototype because it was displayed at about 3 different booths in the show. Must be a limited production run for evaluation by the potential customers...wwglen

Thanks for the effort, wwglen. I too tried searching the Web for this light without any good results.

Guess we'll just have to wait for Streamlight to release info on the Sidewinder in their own good time.

Thanks again for your info on the Sidewinder.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
ringzero, thanks for the info. Being a Streamlight fan, one can only hope if they are not going to produce Cree lights, they can at least produce other inovative ones. I look forward to seeing this light.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the heads up, wwglen!

I'm so excited to finally see this light!

Looks like the SL Sidewinder could be the very best general purpose outdoor light available, bar none.

White light output of 20 lumens for 7 hrs or 1 lumen for 100+ hrs pretty much covers my needs for an outdoor light. (Also has white output at 4 lumens and 10 lumens.)

The red, green, IR, and blue LEDs are icing on the cake. Not really necessary for my purposes, but nice. I'd probably use the red LED a lot for night vision preservation.

Adjustable angle-head and metal clip look excellent. This is a light that could replace most headlamps for outdoor use. Needs only 2xAAs and is certified for lithiums. 30 feet drop tested and waterproof finalize the sale.

That is one UGLY looking light. Made from Leggo blocks? :)

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, BlackDecker.

To me, the Sidewinder is a beautiful light since I admire any design where form follows function.

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very innovative design. If it is as good as the specs say then a think Streamlight has a winner. I can see lots of military applications for this light.
Cant wait to see a review on it.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
That would be a cheap piece of gear for a SCI FI movie prop.

Yeah, Sidewinders will probably soon show up on Stargate or Battlestar. Or worse, they'll show up in one of those awful, Saturday evening, SCIFI 'original' movies.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Certainly wanna' read some reviews on this flashlight.

Sounds like a unique and interesting product.

But it better have an SOS mode ! :D

metalhed

Enlightened
Streamlight finally issued the press release for the new SideWinder LED Flashlight:

New Streamlight® Sidewinder™ 20-Function LED Light

Kind of a utilitarian-looking light...that's a nice way of saying homely, I guess. It does look like the light has a bunch of capabilities, between the three colored LEDs and white, with several intensity levels to each.

I'll try to get a hold of one for review in the next month or two.

Burgess

Flashaholic
From Streamlight's Press Release: "one-year limited warranty"

Why do i expect a lifetime warranty here ? Fer' 80 bucks ?

Doesn't the ProPolymer 4AA Luxeon have a lifetime warranty ?

Yep, a "no excuses" limited lifetime warranty.

Let's face it, this light has MORE to go wrong. :whistle:

edit: Note that BrightGuy has these listed (avail. July) for $50.

Last edited: