Rechargeable Flashlight

guam9092

Newly Enlightened
Anyone recommend the above subject heading for a rechargeable that has good throw and brightness? I plan to use it on graveyard shift since I'm working for a private security company at a vegetable processing plant in Monterey County. Thanks.

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would go with the Streamlight Ultra Stinger for good throw and brightness. Plus it is rechargeable and economical.

Not sure if you want LED or incan. Strealight Stinger LED for LED rechargeable.

Last edited:

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
guam, please ask more specific.
Nearly all Led-lights are be able to run on rechargeable cells.
How much do you want to spend, how large, waterproofness..........?

Best regards

____
Tom

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to type the usual: Fenix L2D-CE,
but tend to forget that You ppl in this application have other distances to light up than I have, so
this Ultra Stinger sounds like a very good idea.

If Your collegues all use maglites and such, get a Fenix. Except for the very last meters of total distance (where the Mags als wont show too much), this little light eats them. Also the white led light "seems" brighter to our eyes (as the brain thinks white = brighter than the yellow incan light)
The smaller business end makes it more blinding, so maybe annoying for the worker one on the receiving end.
Runtime on high/Turbo is not too good for a 12 hour shift, but size/weight is perfect and You could have a 2nd set of batts be in the charger while using the 1st one.
And You have a light with You that does not burn through Your dark adaped eyes when checking equipment or some machines (thats why I like my lights with more than one output so much)

Then there are all those www.dealextreme.com lights, especially the ones for 18650 li-ion cells. Worse quality than Fenix and even better lights but much cheaper.

Last edited:

mdocod

Flashaholic
give us more to work with:

do you want it to cradle charge? or are you willing to remove cells and pop em on a charger (which can be nice because you can have spare cells to cycle on the charger if needed).

Do you want a large profile light (like maglight size) or something more "tactical" in size.

And finally, what's the price range?

another thing I would suggest, is carrying 2 lights. 1 LED backup light that is small and reliable with plenty of runtime, and a "main" light that is incandecent, and more powerful.

My personal recommendation at this point, is a Wolf-Eyes M90 rattlesnake, with one of the many available rechargable configurations. and a backup 6 series wolf-eyes with the LED module.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're going to be on foot rather than being mobile, a Streamlight PolyStinger would be easy to carry on your belt and is reasonably affordable at around $75 with a charger.

The UltraStinger that has been suggested is an excellent choice for light weight and output, but it isn't as convenient to carry and those belt flashlight rings can become bothersome if you're carrying the light throughout your shift. If weight and size isn't a factor then old reliables like a Streamlight SL-20 series or a Mag Charger would be popular choices. All three of these would cost anywhere from $10-25 more than the Stinger.

Another option for on-premises security as a lower cost alternative may be one of the 3D MagLEDs with a relatively low initial cost and you'll need to use a lot primary D batteries before you could recoup the initial outlay for one of the rechargeables.

guam9092 said:
Anyone recommend the above subject heading for a rechargeable that has good throw and brightness? I plan to use it on graveyard shift since I'm working for a private security company at a vegetable processing plant in Monterey County. Thanks.